Banter RDT 157 - Not allowed

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to preface this post by saying the circumstances surrounding the event are not being called into question at all.

So I don't get how Senator Reynolds can make a comment in a private conversation (again not about the content nor the accuracy), the comment can be leaked resulting in the possibility of legal action? I get the time Musk called that guy a paedo over Twatter but how is this possible?

Like most people I imagine, I don’t have much time for politics or politicians but why the * would anybody want to become one in the current environment. If they’re going to be hung out to dry for comments made privately we’re holding them to a near impossible standard

Is an office full of people listening in to the unprofessional rant really private?

I've had bosses like that in the past, it's not a great environment to be in and they should be held to account.

The held to account part I get, but I don't understand the possibility of legal action.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Like most people I imagine, I don’t have much time for politics or politicians but why the fu** would anybody want to become one in the current environment. If they’re going to be hung out to dry for comments made privately we’re holding them to a near impossible standard

Also in comparison to corporate executives they get paid a pittance.

You have almost unlimited negative media exposure, very little job security and a massive burden on your shoulders. It's no wonder we have s**t politicians, you either have to be some evangelical nut intent on trying to improve peoples lives (only to then get bogged down by the system) or stupid.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
Also in comparison to corporate executives they get paid a pittance.

You have almost unlimited negative media exposure, very little job security and a massive burden on your shoulders. It's no wonder we have sh*t politicians, you either have to be some evangelical nut intent on trying to improve peoples lives (only to then get bogged down by the system) or stupid.
Some people are attracted by the power or possibility of power, doesn't matter how many millions a ceo might make the PM is the top dog in the country.
Christian Porter for example has all the contacts to make a squillion in the private sector but that prize wasn't big enough to satisfy his ego.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Some people are attracted by the power or possibility of power, doesn't matter how many millions a ceo might make the PM is the top dog in the country.
Christian Porter for example has all the contacts to make a squillion in the private sector but that prize wasn't big enough to satisfy his ego.

Very true, something I didn't factor in was Ego.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Nothing beats the ego rush his predecessor got when he got control of the Senate, brought in Work Choices, and lost his own seat.

No matter what policies have been implemented by any prime minister since i've been alive I don't think i've ever known of any politician to have an ego the size of Rudd's. If the pacific ocean was his bathwather, he'd drink the lot. I'd put it out there his ego is up there with Trump's.

Mind you of prime ministers and opposition leaders the only ones i've met and or spent significant time with are Rudd, Abbott, Beazley. As much as he came across as a pretty bad prime minister Abbott genuinely came across as a nice guy who had a fault even at dinner of speaking before he'd finished thinking. Beazley (A family friend) I would describe as Jovial but stubborn and Rudd as an egotistical wolf with a great fake smile with the only things close to matching his ego was his ambition and his undeniable belief that he was always the smartest person in the room.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
No matter what policies have been implemented by any prime minister since i've been alive I don't think i've ever known of any politician to have an ego the size of Rudd's. If the pacific ocean was his bathwather, he'd drink the lot. I'd put it out there his ego is up there with Trump's.

Mind you of prime ministers and opposition leaders the only ones i've met and or spent significant time with are Rudd, Abbott, Beazley. As much as he came across as a pretty bad prime minister Abbott genuinely came across as a nice guy who had a fault even at dinner of speaking before he'd finished thinking. Beazley (A family friend) I would describe as Jovial but stubborn and Rudd as an egotistical wolf with a great fake smile with the only things close to matching his ego was his ambition and his undeniable belief that he was always the smartest person in the room.
We've had a run of truly awful PMs since 2007.

ScoMo has done well since the bushfire fiasco, obviously learnt some lessons from that when Covid came along, but now he has the sex assault scandals (plural) to contend with. Interesting times for him.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
We've had a run of truly awful PMs since 2007.

ScoMo has done well since the bushfire fiasco, obviously learnt some lessons from that when Covid came along, but now he has the sex assault scandals (plural) to contend with. Interesting times for him.

Is it too late to get Johnnie back?

In my lifetime I think it would be fair to say Bob Hawke was our most popular PM and arguably our best.

I genuinely wonder how someone like him would make it through the party political system now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my lifetime I think it would be fair to say Bob Hawke was our most popular PM and arguably our best.

I genuinely wonder how someone like him would make it through the party political system now.

Went to find the footage of him smashing a beer at the cricket, didn't know he'd done it more than once! 😂

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
If I might stray into something footy related does anyone know how tickets will be allocated at Optus seeing as crowds will only be 60% capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back