Banter RDT 158 - Beers at Badgers

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharing the birthday of a rather notorious historical figure there Mr Keys!
It fits with my authoritarian modding style apparently

Is soccer the only game in the world where a draw isn't disappointing?

Depends on the context. Are you a mega rich American franchise trying to get all the points possible lest you miss Champions League and go bust, or are you a newly promoted club doing far better than they have any right to and proving they can mix it with the big boys despite nowhere near the same resources.

It can be disappointing based on who you are, what you need from the game, and where you are in the season.

The difference between a draw in soccer and in all other sports (to me anyway) is because of the scoring system it’s far more likely, which means it’s a far more regular occurrence, and it’s also not the absence of a result like in cricket. It’s one of the three outcomes, and it usually reflects the fact that the sides couldn’t be split. That’s ok, over a season that is fairly mapped out and everyone plays everyone twice, that’s all well and good. If you’re good enough you’ll win enough to finish in a good spot, and if you get stuck with too many draws it’ll show in the long run.

Incentivising winning by having a win worth three points and a draw worth one point is also a smart way to set it up. You’re better off winning one then losing one than drawing two, so you’re encouraged to go for it, but it’s also better to draw than take nothing.

The nice thing about following this Leeds team is they always play for the win, and as a result sometimes batter teams, sometimes get battered, sometimes scrape a win and sometimes get done by a small margin. It’s a fun roller coaster. 14 wins, 14 losses, 4 draws (three against “Super League” clubs). Same amount of goals scored and conceded. Dead centre of the table. For a league/sport where each club’s resources vary wildly and the playing field is so uneven, the odd draw here and there is fine and it’s all added up to a ridiculously good season. We have the fewest draws in the league and they’re mostly against the richest clubs, which is a bit of a fun * you to them.

If you followed a Super Six club you’d be ashamed with draws against the likes of Leeds/Fulham/West Brom, but we’ve learned these clubs have no shame so * them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on the context. Are you a mega rich American franchise trying to get all the points possible lest you miss Champions League and go bust, or are you a newly promoted club doing far better than they have any right to and proving they can mix it with the big boys despite nowhere near the same resources.

It can be disappointing based on who you are, what you need from the game, and where you are in the season.

The difference between a draw in soccer and in all other sports (to me anyway) is because of the scoring system it’s far more likely, which means it’s a far more regular occurrence, and it’s also not the absence of a result like in cricket. It’s one of the three outcomes, and it usually reflects the fact that the sides couldn’t be split. That’s ok, over a season that is fairly mapped out and everyone plays everyone twice, that’s all well and good. If you’re good enough you’ll win enough to finish in a good spot, and if you get stuck with too many draws it’ll show in the long run.

Incentivising winning by having a win worth three points and a draw worth one point is also a smart way to set it up. You’re better off winning one then losing one than drawing two, so you’re encouraged to go for it, but it’s also better to draw than take nothing.

The nice thing about following this Leeds team is they always play for the win, and as a result sometimes batter teams, sometimes get battered, sometimes scrape a win and sometimes get done by a small margin. It’s a fun roller coaster. 14 wins, 14 losses, 4 draws (three against “Super League” clubs). Same amount of goals scored and conceded. Dead centre of the table. For a league/sport where each club’s resources vary wildly and the playing field is so uneven, the odd draw here and there is fine and it’s all added up to a ridiculously good season. We have the fewest draws in the league and they’re mostly against the richest clubs, which is a bit of a fun fu** you to them.

If you followed a Super Six club you’d be ashamed with draws against the likes of Leeds/Fulham/West Brom, but we’ve learned these clubs have no shame so fu** them.
I was just trying to give soccer s**t, can you please not come back with a thorough, well thought out response that makes me question my life choices and whether I should actually be watching it myself?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back