Banter RDT 160 - Fold the RDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

C'mon Ash! Nat Fyfe already won once today.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol at the blowins watching tennis for the first time tonight, celebrating like they’ve been there for the ride. I’m by no means a tennis diehard, last I watched tennis would have been 10+ years ago, but at least I’ll readily admit that. More of a Mario Tennis guy myself.

Happy Barty won, she seems genuinely nice. Interesting to find out Australia had an indigenous tennis champion who was ranked world number one and won grand slams for fun. Why the * do I know Margaret Court’s name, even before the homophobia crap, but I never hear about Evonne Goolagong Cawley?

Lol at the blowins watching tennis for the first time tonight, celebrating like they’ve been there for the ride. I’m by no means a tennis diehard, last I watched tennis would have been 10+ years ago, but at least I’ll readily admit that. More of a Mario Tennis guy myself.

Happy Barty won, she seems genuinely nice. Interesting to find out Australia had an indigenous tennis champion who was ranked world number one and won grand slams for fun. Why the fu** do I know Margaret Court’s name, even before the homophobia crap, but I never hear about Evonne Goolagong Cawley?

How have you never heard of Evonne Goolagong?

But in answer to your question, I think it's a combination of factors:
1. As good as Goolagong was, Court is the most successful player in the history of the women's game
2. Serena Williams has been trying to break Court's record for years
3. Goolagong is reportedly pretty humble, while Court literally founded her own church
4. Margaret married into a high profile WA political family

But you hear about Goolagong all the time, usually after the words "first Australian woman since"

Happy Barty won, she seems genuinely nice. Interesting to find out Australia had an indigenous tennis champion who was ranked world number one and won grand slams for fun. Why the fu** do I know Margaret Court’s name, even before the homophobia crap, but I never hear about Evonne Goolagong Cawley?

You're a product of the system, man.

How have you never heard of Evonne Goolagong?

But in answer to your question, I think it's a combination of factors:
1. As good as Goolagong was, Court is the most successful player in the history of the women's game
2. Serena Williams has been trying to break Court's record for years
3. Goolagong is reportedly pretty humble, while Court literally founded her own church
4. Margaret married into a high profile WA political family

But you hear about Goolagong all the time, usually after the words "first Australian woman since"
Yeah you do hear Goolagong all the time, Court just won a hell of a lot more titles and like Trucko says has pushed herself (unfortunately) into the limelight a lot more after her career ended.
Fair enough. As I say, not a tennis person, but I haven’t heard of her outside of the “Ash Barty’s idol” context and I’ve never actively followed what Ash Barty is up to enough to look up her idols.

I feel like she (Goolagong) should be at the Cathy Freeman or Lionel Rose level of celebrated indigenous athlete. If she is and I’ve missed it that’s on me, but it was genuinely the first I’ve heard of her accolades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back