Banter RDT 164 - Sway, Duck, Whack

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
This is very random cause it came up on my news feed but do private schools these days allow boys to have mullets? 10 years when I was at school they even banned a skin fade and long top

Last edited:
This is very random cause it came up on my news feed but do private schools these days allow boys to have mullets? 10 years when I was at school they even a skin fade and long top wasn’t allowe
Would depend on the school, but generally speaking - no.

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Same as all the others. Hell, uni really did a number on us.

Gonna tell my kids to get a trade and have 3 negatively geared houses by the time your 30. Do an arts degree when you retire if you really want.
I remember in high school when all the kids who wanted an apprenticeship left in year 10 so many of the remaining kids branded them as “drop kicks” and “the dumb ones”. Now the ones who left are making the most money and the ones who stayed and went to uni are sitting on 30k+ debt in HECS.
For sure, had the exact same experience. Pretty embarrassing in hindsight.

It's a vicious cycle too because schools try to get as many as they can into uni as it looks good. And then unis shill out shitty degrees to money making international students because their funding has been steadily decreased.

So you end up in a situation where you have 5 universities in Perth that have law schools and like six jobs at the end of it and wages are pushed down because of surplus grads. Nobody needs that many lawyers!

In Sweden it's even crazier, you need a degree to become a real estate agent! But at least you don't need to pay back the degree. No free Centrelink tho, need to pay that back.
Took me 6 years to do a 3 year degree. Haven't used it since

I think this a very unfortunate view on what a university actually is. Only 200 years ago did people enter academia for the sake of learning and knowledge, rather than purely as a means to an end.

Surely degrees can be an end in themselves i.e. be worthwhile because of the knowledge they provide, the meaning they give?

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
I think this a very unfortunate view on what a university actually is. Only 200 years ago did people enter academia for the sake of learning and knowledge, rather than purely as a means to an end.

Surely degrees can be an end in themselves i.e. be worthwhile because of the knowledge they provide, the meaning they give?
If you can afford it. Which most teenagers leaving school have no hope of. The odd retiree with spare cash might be so lucky.

Universities are now more than ever expected to be commercially viable. Research must have practical application. "Degree farm" is the reality.

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
Popped up in my suggested content on Facebook. I had a chuckle.
FB_IMG_1635027242968.jpg

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
If you can afford it. Which most teenagers leaving school have no hope of. The odd retiree with spare cash might be so lucky.

Universities are now more than ever expected to be commercially viable. Research must have practical application. "Degree farm" is the reality.
But they dont have to pay anything until they are earning over a certain amount.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

The reality is that universities have become just another business, like pretty much everything in the world today.
The course I started was much more challenging and interesting in the first year than in the last year because in those intervening years there had been an explosion of overseas students and everything had been dumbed down to cater for them and the fact that English was their second language.
Can't have the people who are paying massive amounts upfront all failing so they made the coursework easier.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

I agree in theory. I have an English Literature degree because I was interested in it and didn’t know what I wanted to do career wise when I left school. Often people will ask “oh so what job does that degree get you” and I don’t really have an answer because it’s not a career focused degree and I’m fine with that as it’s still helped me develop skills that secured me a career I enjoy.

But ultimately people go to university to get a job which is why so many do degrees like nursing, engineering, teaching etc because they want a clear pathway into the career they want.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree in theory. I have an English Literature degree because I was interested in it and didn’t know what I wanted to do career wise when I left school. Often people will ask “oh so what job does that degree get you” and I don’t really have an answer because it’s not a career focused degree and I’m fine with that as it’s still helped me develop skills that secured me a career I enjoy.

But ultimately people go to university to get a job which is why so many do degrees like nursing, engineering, teaching etc because they want a clear pathway into the career they want.
A lot of the time the links between your area of study and final profession are not as obvious either.

So whilst you may not end up in a job of that specific field (i.e a nurse that studies nursing), the knowledge and techniques you learnt via your studies (e.g critical thinking, analytical skills) are something that you require or make you stand out in your current job. But people will write off certain degrees as pointless unless your final job title = your degree title.

When you hear what you think is fireworks outside but you're not 100% confident that city isn't being carpet bombed.
Strong username to post correlation is strong

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
A lot of the time the links between your area of study and final profession are not as obvious either.

So whilst you may not end up in a job of that specific field (i.e a nurse that studies nursing), the knowledge and techniques you learnt via your studies (e.g critical thinking, analytical skills) are something that you require or make you stand out in your current job. But people will write off certain degrees as pointless unless your final job title = your degree title.
100%.

Strong username to post correlation is strong
That would be “Al”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back