Position RDT 2018 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Expect to see a debutant or 2 from the Crows this week. A chance Galluci (probably too expensive to consider after playing 1 game last year), Poholke or Wilson get a game this week.

And each one of them straight out again, once the stars return.

And each one of them straight out again, once the stars return.
Maybe, maybe not. Mackay isn't a star. He needs to stay out of the side for good. We were too tall clearly last weekend, so a spot likely open there, and Murphy will miss again this week. Opportunities exist for someone to cement a spot. Poholke is the one I want to see.

Maybe, maybe not. Mackay isn't a star. He needs to stay out of the side for good. We were too tall clearly last weekend, so a spot likely open there, and Murphy will miss again this week. Opportunities exist for someone to cement a spot. Poholke is the one I want to see.
Polholke and Gallucci in

Duman 155k DEF debuting for Freo this week

Been in good WAFL form apparently

Good time for a DEF rookie or two I reckon, Doedee or Bonner may be maxed out for me if Duman is on the bubble in two weeks.

A mid rookie may be maxed out also, so DPP could work too.

Taylin Duman ... he should be an excellent tagger!

He actually a tagger? Thought Banfield was doing that role? Unless Ross is going all Crowley, De Boer, Mzungu MK2 again.

From the minimal amount of time I've seen him - not really (but he is tailing da man, so sounds like he should be). Does look a reasonable player, but surely Ross can't be trusted to keep this many first year players in the team for the necessary 6-8 weeks?

From the minimal amount of time I've seen him - not really (but he is tailing da man, so sounds like he should be). Does look a reasonable player, but surely Ross can't be trusted to keep this many first year players in the team for the necessary 6-8 weeks?
They've had a pretty big list turnover since the end of 2016 IIRC

De Boer, Mzungu, Barlow, Suban, Pavlich, Griffin, Dawson, Clarke, Ibbotson, Silvagni, Clancee Pearce all retired/delisted etc. Would say guys like Danyle Pearce are the next to go, while Sandi, Ballantyne and Johnson may not have much footy left in them too. Mundy maybe another year after this one (he seems to be the most durable out of the older lot).

Weller wanted out also and Mayne left via free agency. There's plenty of opportunity for kids who take their chances at the moment over there it seems. It's been a pretty aggressive turnover when you look at it after their failures in 2016 after contending under Ross from 2012-15. They've probably let go a similar number of players to what Carlton has done in that time period, but Freo have mainly hit the draft with a couple of trades for players to do roles (Hamling, McCarthy, Matera, Kersten), while Carlton have recruited many a plodder alongside high draft picks.

Duman 155k DEF debuting for Freo this week

Been in good WAFL form apparently

Good time for a DEF rookie or two I reckon, Doedee or Bonner may be maxed out for me if Duman is on the bubble in two weeks.

A mid rookie may be maxed out also, so DPP could work too.

Pick #3 in the 2016 rookie draft. Arrived at the club very skinny, has reportedly put on 10kg so far but still looks pretty skinny. Generally plays third tall defender in the WAFL but does play on the wing a bit. Averaged 73 in the WAFL last year, this year he's scored 108, 99 in the WAFL pre-season and 93, and 110 in the WAFL H&A games he's played. A bit like Ryan last year I'm expecting a slow start where his main focus is defence, then if he starts to get comfortable he might look for the +6's. JS is an issue though. Johnson is out "rested" so could be back soon. Cox, Hughes, and Logue all played the third tall defender role last year and will be pushing for that spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holman will tag laird or Gibbs and banfield will tag shuey or gaff...neither going to get a lot of ball...will come down to tackles...flip a coin.
You should be an afl coach u know everyone thats gonna cop each tag !!

“You’re having a mare Buddy”
“But sir, it’s quarter time and I’ve kicked four goa-“
“Don’t backtalk me! I am so trading you next week.”

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back