Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
View attachment 465056
View attachment 465057
View attachment 465058

Re: forwards, Venables I'm not sure on scoring potential as yet but apparently did well in the WAFL last year. Fritsch could be Hannan mk2, Ryan will likely be an inconsistent scorer if he's playing as a small forward, 30s + 40s one week when he's not getting on the scoreboard or laying tackles. Rayner should go ok you'd think, could be a slow hold though.

*Garlett hurt his shoulder last night so not sure how he pulled up, Carlton haven't said anything publicly on Twitter about him yet, I reckon he'll average 55-60 so if the shoulder does come good then he's F6 based on his experience, but can't be sure on him yet now.

Would like to see a few more small rebounding defenders pop up, out of them defensive rookies there's only one true rebounder in Coffield, whereas Finlayson and Doedee are tallish intercept types, could score ok if they rack up +6s but could spud up too if they don't find it. The two bench guys are KPDs, slow burn material there, could carry one, but wouldn't like to carry both.
No rookie mid/def or mid/fwd links?

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
No rookie mid/def or mid/fwd links?
If more defensive rookies pop up then a Coffield Finlayson switch could work, theres heaps of forwards around though, just picking the right ones is key

I dont think its that necessary FWIW early in the season though, picking the right rookies who play every week eliminates the need plus we have trades up our sleeves for injuries/corrections

Later in the season when we need coverage in order to preserve trades, sure.

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
If more defensive rookies pop up then a Coffield Finlayson switch could work, theres heaps of forwards around though, just picking the right ones is key

I dont think its that necessary FWIW early in the season though, picking the right rookies who play every week eliminates the need plus we have trades up our sleeves for injuries/corrections

Later in the season when we need coverage in order to preserve trades, sure.
Fair point re the timing - definitely more useful later in the season. That said, it is easier said than done to get the rookie picks right at the start and that extra bit off flexibility can help with early fixes. It's just a question of how much you are willing to compromise for it.

That said, it is easier said than done to get the rookie picks right at the start and that extra bit off flexibility can help with early fixes.

Initial team, JS and money raising is what you need to focus on. DPP are just a bonus.

I have Coffield & Finlayson currently in defence, but, depending on rooks Finlayson in the mids would be beneficial. But if players like Barry, Kelly, Banfield, etc... as cheap mid rookies look better than the cheap defenders then, I want the highest scoring rookies

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Fair point re the timing - definitely more useful later in the season. That said, it is easier said than done to get the rookie picks right at the start and that extra bit off flexibility can help with early fixes. It's just a question of how much you are willing to compromise for it.
Initial team, JS and money raising is what you need to focus on. DPP are just a bonus.
Nailing your premos and speculative types is what you want early in the season

If you missed a gun rookie or two, but can bring them in on the bubble and get their price rises, then you'd wear a trade or two in that scenario. Like Newman last year for example who didn't play round 1.

Fixing up midpricers/premiums is annoying though.

Fixing up midpricers/premiums is annoying though.

Midpricers are annoying, ie. If a Lycett/Simpson fails you are f'd as you need 2 trades to correct. Sideways-ing a premo is easy. You always use a few trades to correct mistakes.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
With a lot of love this year for draftees like Dow, Brayshaw, Rayner etc, I thought it might be good to look at how the high end rookies (1st round draft picks) have performed historically in fantasy. Only including players that played over 10 games in their opening year, and only the last 3 years of data. Players with strikeouts are non midfield types that are always likely to attract lower scores so I have removed them from averages.

The purpose is to try and determine the upside in paying top dollar for these rookies, compared to the other types that are available at a cheaper price. Obviously a big factor in selection is job security, which this research doesn't take into account.

High End Rookies
Andrew McGrath - 70.5
Tim Taranto - 61.4
Hugh McCluggage - 61.2
Ben Ainsworth - 59.6
Sam Petrevski Seaton - 67.9
Griffin Logue - 42.5
Jy Simpkin - 49

Jarrod Berry - 60
Sam Powell Pepper - 69
2017 average = 64.2

Jacob Weitering - 57.4
Josh Schache - 47.3

Callum Mills - 70.2
Darcy Parish - 73.8
Jacob Hopper - 64.6
Callum Ah Chee - 55.6
Eric Hipwood - 48.2
Daniel Rioli - 49.1
Jade Gresham - 61

2016 average = 66

Angus Brayshaw - 61.6
Jordan De Goey - 62
Nakia Cockatoo - 36
Liam Duggan - 45.2
Jake Lever - 54.1
Isaac Heeney - 68.3
Blaine Boekhorst - 49.8
2016 average = 57.4

Would be interesting to compare these numbers to how the cheaper rookie options have faired in recent years

Apr 11, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Forward rookies stink this season. Raynor will be lucky to play round 1. Guys like Ryan, Rioli and venables will be too inconsistent. Fritsch only one that looks good but will he cement in spot in Melbourne’s 22? Almost have to start with a Christiansen at F5.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Forward rookies stink this season. Raynor will be lucky to play round 1. Guys like Ryan, Rioli and venables will be too inconsistent. Fritsch only one that looks good but will he cement in spot in Melbourne’s 22? Almost have to start with a Christiansen at F5.
Stephensen looked impressive enough to consider, and whilst his score didn't reflect it, he did play up the ground a fair bit.

Stephensen looked impressive enough to consider, and whilst his score didn't reflect it, he did play up the ground a fair bit.

As a 200K+ rookie I don’t think Stephenson did enough for me from and RDT perspective.

Coinz

EAAAAGLLLLLEES
Sep 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Thoughts on Tom Cole?
Haven't seen him mentioned much...
Seems to be borderline best 22 now, moving ahead of Nelson for that general defender spot.
With Yeo and Duggan likely to get more mid time and some solid pre-season form things are looking up for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly N

Senior List
Mar 1, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Thoughts on Tom Cole?
Seems to be borderline best 22 now, moving ahead of Nelson for that general defender spot.
With Yeo and Duggan likely to get more mid time and some solid pre-season form things are looking up for him.
He's certainly worthy of consideration but there are probably a fair few rookie defenders I'd place slightly ahead of him in terms of overall value when taking into account pricing/job security/scoring potential, based on the limited data set we have available to ourselves over just 2 JLT games.

So it will likely come down to team sheets next week and if there are some omissions out of the likes of Coffield, Naughton, Murray, Finlayson, Doedee, Keefe, O'Shea etc then Cole could come into calculations for some coaches.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Thoughts on Tom Cole?
Fair point

Out of the popular defensive rookies, I'm less sold on Doedee, kind of feel he'll be very up and down and you won't know what weeks to put him onfield and what not.

Mark O'Connor is another preseason bolter and has DPP, I wonder if the Cats will give him a go after a little taste for it last year. They really need some speed down back.

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
Brayshaw and Banfield confirmed for round 1 (article on afl.com.au):

FREMANTLE will have two debutants in its clash with Port Adelaide this weekend, with top pick Andrew Brayshaw and mature-ager Bailey Banfield to play their first AFL games.
I'll be starting both on my field.

But not sure who my third starting mid rookie will be. For those running 3 rookies in the mids, who are you thinking to field this week aside from the above 2?

At the moment I have Dow/Kelly/Barry/Holman. Leaning towards Barry.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I'll be starting both on my field.

But not sure who my third starting mid rookie will be. For those running 3 rookies in the mids, who are you thinking to field this week aside from the above 2?

At the moment I have Dow/Kelly/Barry/Holman. Leaning towards Barry.
I would pick Holman as M8 after the two Freo rooks

Holman used to play for Carlton, should score ok when he plays

Kelly N

Senior List
Mar 1, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Not that I'll be selecting him, but he is popular for those going 3 rookies at the back
Naughton's a likely starter for me although will probably pick at most 2 of the more expensive rookie defenders so if Coffield, Cole and O'Shea are also named it could make for a head scratching decision. :anguished:

Kelly N

Senior List
Mar 1, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Coffield should be the first rookie defender chosen.
Well the AFL just tweeted that the Saints will debut Clark but no mention made of Coffy which is not a good sign. O'Shea will miss Rd1 too so the pool of more expensive rookie defenders is already beginning to shrink. :frowning:

So that makes Naughton a definite starter for me now and I might also consider Cole if he gets named depending on what happens with the Giants duo in Finlayson and Keeffe. :think:

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Well the AFL just tweeted that the Saints will debut Clark but no mention made of Coffy which is not a good sign. O'Shea will miss Rd1 too so the pool of more expensive rookie defenders is already beginning to shrink. :frowning:

So that makes Naughton a definite starter for me now and I might also consider Cole if he gets named depending on what happens with the Giants duo in Finlayson and Keeffe. :think:
I will still select Coffield even if he is not named round 1. I'm sure it won't be long before he's playing and I still think he will be one of the higher scoring rookie defenders.

I will still select Coffield even if he is not named round 1. I'm sure it won't be long before he's playing and I still think he will be one of the higher scoring rookie defenders.

I won't select a 200k+ non playing rookie to start with. Unless the rookies were threadbare

Remove this Banner Ad

Back