Re 8/15 First graders ?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 23, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SwansCrowsPortFreoGCGWS
We've all heard the rubbery figures that 8 have to be delisted, and that with 15 likely to get the chop as reported in the CM, they must be eyeing 7 to trade.

My focus at the end of the first year, is who are the done and dusted First Graders. Then next I'd list the second tier who could be listed as Possible First Graders.

I'd be interested in your thoughts given the understandable rotation policy has clouded the issue.

Players who have showed that they are first graders this year:
Brennan,Riska, Harbrow, Gablett, Brown , Bock, DStanley, Iles, Hunt, McKenzie, Shaw, Smith, Swallow, Lynch, Bennell, Prestia, Thompson, Patrick

Possible first graders: Krakouer, Nablett, Wilkinson, Jolly, Russell, Taylor, Day, Weller, Dixon, May, Hutchins, Matera, Toy, Nicholls, Gorringe, Hine, Hickey, Caddy, Tape, Daye, Coad

No comment: Fraser, Lock, Magin, Liddy, Tippett
Not seen: Gilbee, Moss, Flanagan, Stanlake, Ah Chee, Crawford, JStanley

We've all heard the rubbery figures that 8 have to be delisted, and that with 15 likely to get the chop as reported in the CM, they must be eyeing 7 to trade.

My focus at the end of the first year, is who are the done and dusted First Graders. Then next I'd list the second tier who could be listed as Possible First Graders.

I'd be interested in your thoughts given the understandable rotation policy has clouded the issue.

Is there a link to this? Sounds a bit excessive especially after Scott Clayton and Bluey have both said we'll be looking at de-listing between 7 and 8 players. I think next year we could cut / trade a few more.

You'll have to check on the Courrier Mail site for the article, but the headline said to the effect "GC may offload 15 at seasons end'. Very surprised the same wasn't reported in your local rag.

You might be onto something there SunGod. Whilst most of the CM coverage of the Suns this year has been very positive (cheers Hammo), some of the articles do suggest the Lions view of the Suns dilemna: Lions are circling like sharks around the 8 delistings that Suns have to make, and are even considering trades, licking their lips. ie your pain, Lions gain.

Given that backdrop, the above headline may have been a Lions invented ruse to wrest some more young Suns into the Lion den. Wouldn't surprise me after the shenanigans these last two years. Lions will not get much draft help in Nov so they are banking on SUNShine.

My point with this thread is to highlight who has made the grade this year, and who are the 'possibles' who should make the grade with another pre/season/s under their belt.

For instance, I've been impressed with Hickey. He's only had limited game time, but obviously he'll make the grade. Thompson has the skills and will only get better. Can the same be said about Nicholls? I've only been able to see one reserves game on Main Event, so don't know too much about the rookies or Moss, Flanagan, Gilbee etc

Bottom line, if they aren't a possible first grader, then they should be cut from the squad. Doesn't matter if the number is 7,8, 10 or 15.

BTW, I'm a Qlder who supports both Lions and Suns

Here's the link
http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/suns-set-to-sack-up-to-15-players/story-fn6ck6f9-1226121525645

Here's the article:
Suns set to sack up to 15 players

UP TO 15 players at the Gold Coast Suns will be shown the door at the end of the season.

So Sunday's clash with Melbourne at the MCG will be no time for sightseeing as the club embarks on its first trip to the home of AFL football.
While the form of players over the journey of the season will be taken into account when the Suns assess their playing list for 2012, the match-up with the Demons and next week's home game against Hawthorn are prime opportunities to make a lasting impression.
Coach Guy McKenna said list management was "the nature of the beast" in AFL football but it was the "easiest thing" to do as players often made the decision for coaching staff through their commitment and attitude.
High turnover is par for the course for an expansion club. There will be few shocks when the Suns reveal who is culled.

McKenna said the Suns had no qualms about letting players go, even if they kick on to a successful career with another club.
"If they go away and play in a premiership and win a Brownlow Medal, I'm not disappointed at all. I'll be the first one to hug them," McKenna said.
"We have to stick to our decisions.
"This (Sunday's game) is an opportunity. Because of the coliseum that holds over 100,000 people, we understand being an interstate club that you are going to get very few opportunities to do that."
Veteran ruckman Josh Fraser is set to be rested after losing 5kg in the loss to Adelaide last Saturday. Boom rookie Zac Smith will slot back into the seniors to replace Fraser.
Midfielder Josh Caddy is in line to make his senior debut.
The AFL took another step towards its goal of making a mark in western Sydney by officially signing its 10,000th GWS club member yesterday.

Bloody Hell - If we do axe 15 that would be one mighty big cull.

This line is curious "There will be few shocks when the Suns reveal who is culled."

I wonder if it is supposed to read:

"There will be a few shocks when the Suns reveal who is culled."

Thanks Rocka. Yes 15 is a big number to be axed.
Obviously the shock of it meant the local rag didn't run the story.
What I'd like to see if is someone can verify that Bluey actually said that.

Does smack of a Lions fed journo making mischief.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back