Re-cycled Players / Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

caseman2

Team Captain
Mar 31, 2008
NYC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With our first list lodgement done, it appears we will have only the 2 picks in the ND and 3 picks in the rookie draft (excluding Cat B which hopefully we use on Mozzie)

As we have had significant turnover post season which also appears likely at the end of next season due to potential retirements (Rough, Silk, Poppy, Henderson, Frawley), I wouldn't be adverse to selecting "young" re-cycled players in the rookie draft to help balance out our list profile.
Remembering to, that these players will come at minimal cost and have already done an apprenticeship and a number of pre-seasons to adjust to the demands of AFL footy and can potentially step in straight away if required.

Players who I would consider:

Key Defenders
- Keiran Collins (WB) - obviously hasn't lived up to expectations however in his draft year Bucky rated him a to 10 selection
- Jack Leslie (GC) - speculative pick in his draft year for an early 2nd rounder however has shown ability and has probably been asked to play about his weight to early in his career due to GC's list management and injury issues. And let's not hide the fact the GC have experinced plenty of player development issues
- Dan Neilson (North) - been in the system a while now however with Thompson and Tarrant holding down key posts and McKay and Durdin high draft picks, his opportunities were limited. Games i have seen him play he his agile and disciplined however needs to be more influential on the attack side of the game
- Hugh Goddard (STK) - along with Patty McCartin was meant to be one half of the bookends for the next 10 years but mainly due to injuries, things haven't worked out for him (although reportedly signed, sealed and delivered to Carlton)

Outside Mids
- Jordan Murdoch (Gee) - I can understand Cats supporters frustration with him however due to lack of consistency however, has 2 things we crave, pace and a left peg (following on from Wingard, Scully and Scrimshaw). The fact he is on his last chance may bring the realization he needs to find consistency and age isn't working in his favor

Small Forward
- Corey Gregson (Gee) - I understand we have just signed Minchington and still have Poppy and Breust with Hanrahan in the wings, but as the Tigers have proved, you can not have enough small, quick, pressure forwards. Has displayed great ability but again, it has been injuries that have held him back

Swingman

- Mitch Hibberd (North) - Injuries have plagues him since his u/18 days with the Mariners but has obvious ability and athleticism. Can play in all 3 parts of the ground however NEEDS to get his body right

While acknowledging our dearth of your developing key forwards (outside of Mitch Lewis), nobody jumped off the delisted register and sparked any excitement.

I also gave considering to inside mids however with Mitchell, O'Meara, Shiels, Cousins, Worpel , we see ok in the area. Although Mitch Gregg (Norwaood - ex Crows) and Jye Bolton Claremont - ex Pies) both one their respective state medals this year would be very interesting selections.

I don't believe I have named players just because they have been delisted but who can actually come in play roles and fill a need on the list. Apart from Murdoch, they also all have youth on their side.
Understanding they have their difficiencies and have been delisted for a reason, but we have had success with delisted players previously (through DFA's) with both Joffa Simpkin and Ricky Henderson being very serviceable. So delisted players still have value and again , will cost us nothing as a rookie selection.

I think anyone from the GCS is at least worth considering for no other reason than they're likely to have been poorly developed.

I'd still look at Lonergan and Leslie for that reason. Clearly they could end up as solid depth from the rookie list.

I'd look at Collins and Goddard because they've been battling injuries their whole fledgling careers thus far. They may not be good enough at the end of the day, but I cant see how you can truly know that about them unless they've had a clear run at it. A full pre season will do wonders for anyone.

Theres always a reason someones delisted and it may have more to do with personality or something intangible other than pure talent but like Minchington, they still may have the capacity to be good AFL footballers with a healthy body and a different environment.

None of those players are any good. They are s**t, the whole lot of them.
Given we’ve kept/upgraded brand, mirra, TOB, miles, cousins, glass the talent bar is not high - it’s not hard to see some of the DFAs being better than what we just kept on our list.

We also have no kpp depth, a Leslie or Goddard is probably a better shot than a pick 100 tall.

we effectively have 5 picks in the draft pool, albeit very late, picking up Minchington was a smart move as i believe if he can get his injury issues in check he can become a good squad player and give us depth, the names above, none jump out, maybe a Mitch Honeychurch or Jacob Townsend type? or hit the draft with our picks which will likely end up as Pick 48 and 80 on draft day and hopefully get a free hit at Mozzie in the rookie draft

Given we’ve kept/upgraded brand, mirra, TOB, miles, cousins, glass the talent bar is not high - it’s not hard to see some of the DFAs being better than what we just kept on our list.

We also have no kpp depth, a Leslie or Goddard is probably a better shot than a pick 100 tall.
Please, Leslie? Godard? From two rabble’s but can’t get a gig? We’re in deep s**t if Frawley Brand and Stratton can’t hold their spots over these spuds.
We just cleared enough deadwood so we surely don’t need other people’s rubbish as well, yea?

None of those players are any good. They are s**t, the whole lot of them.

Please, Leslie? Godard? From two rabble’s but can’t get a gig? We’re in deep s**t if Frawley Brand and Stratton can’t hold their spots over these spuds.
We just cleared enough deadwood so we surely don’t need other people’s rubbish as well, yea?
Sleep well mate?:rolleyes::eek:

we have 2 picks in the main draft and 2 rookie picks, i would hope we invest in youth, the only reason we would go for another dfa or delisted player drafted in the rookie draft is that they are good enough to make our 30 man squad, if not i doubt we will bother. we already have about 28-29 depending if you count Dylan Moore getting a debut in 2019 that leaves you with a spot in our squad open for a draftee or upgraded rookie to make their own, plus a few other opportunities as squads sometimes go 35 or so deep, but usually good squads rely on their main 30, the other 14 should be for developing players or club men imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Freeman from the saints torched BHH, dunno what happened to him or if he is a dick but he can play.

Jonathon Marsh wants to return to footy after two years in retirement. I assume we could pick him up under the Mumford rule and make him a Cat A rookie. Did not mind the look of him.

Harry Dear is big.

I'd look at those fleeing sinking ships. Anyone bailing from Gold Coast, Saints and Port well worth a look at.

Problem with that dude?

I just think it is a bit dissapointing when a poster goes to a lot of effort to educate and provide information on players we might pick up. And all we get from the peanut gallery is those players listed are all s**t.

Really. Nothing constructive, no real analysis.

I like most of the names mentioned & hope we add at least 2 on the rookie list on a “prove it” deal.
There is value there in the DFA as depth for a year. If they don’t workout or there are a couple of sleepers in the draft that are better projects as rookies I’m not to fussed either way.

The list has improved & there will be another couple of additions to come that will spark debate.

I just think it is a bit dissapointing when a poster goes to a lot of effort to educate and provide information on players we might pick up. And all we get from the peanut gallery is those players listed are all s**t.

Really. Nothing constructive, no real analysis.

It may not be constructive but its 100% accurate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back