Re-do the 2008 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for Collingwood supporters !

Why do most ratings have Sidebottom ahead of Beams?

I have it the other way around.
Beams has been better so far, but (and I think? most c'wood supporters would agree that) Sidebottom should be better in the long run.. Both quality youngsters.

Question for Collingwood supporters !

Why do most ratings have Sidebottom ahead of Beams?

I have it the other way around.

Beams has had a greater output to date, but if you can't see that Sidebottom is the better player then you are beyond help.

Beams isn't even top 20 from that draft.

Beams has had a greater output to date, but if you can't see that Sidebottom is the better player then you are beyond help.

Beams isn't even top 20 from that draft.

I rate Beams higher than Sidebottom - What makes you think that sidebottom is a better prospect than Beams.

Beams will be better than Sidey. Sidey's lack of pace will always hinder him and while he is a solid kick on both feet, he'll never be as damaging as Beams.

If I only had the choice of one I'd take Beams without a doubt. We had a thread on the Pies board recently that discussed the topic in-depth, I was surprised to see most Collingwood supporters echo those sentiments. The majority definitely thought Beams had a bigger scope.

Beams will be better than Sidey. Sidey's lack of pace will always hinder him and while he is a solid kick on both feet, he'll never be as damaging as Beams.

If I only had the choice of one I'd take Beams without a doubt. We had a thread on the Pies board recently that discussed the topic in-depth, I was surprised to see most Collingwood supporters echo those sentiments. The majority definitely thought Beams had a bigger scope.

Not to worry Pies supporters, my mail says that Beams has already signed to go back home to gc 17, so enjoy him while you can, bulk him up and watch him walk out the door for a mid range pick. Eddie told me.

I'm pretty surprised at that, I think Sidebottom is an absolute gun, Beams is pretty good but i wouldn't put him in the same class. But then i don't watch Collingwood that much.

They said that about Williams.

Footballers will always beat athletes.

I haven't seen as much of the two as Collingwood fans, but I reckon Sidebottom is a better mark and better overhead.

And more defensive.

Great spoil and body work to make Petterd grass that mark in their win against Melbourne.

Sidebottom is bottom age too.

I wouldn't label Beams quick either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They said that about Williams.

Footballers will always beat athletes.

I haven't seen as much of the two as Collingwood fans, but I reckon Sidebottom is a better mark and better overhead.

And more defensive.

Great spoil and body work to make Petterd grass that mark in their win against Melbourne.

Sidebottom is bottom age too.

I wouldn't label Beams quick either.

I see the point you are making and I agree with it for the most part, but it isn't as if I'm comparing an athlete (Beams) to a footballer (in Sidebottom), because Beams, as you point out, is far from an outstanding athlete himself.

You use Diesel as an example, and it was probably a good one 15 years ago, but I think his son is probably a better one. Gun footballer, had no trouble finding the ball, captained PEGS and played Calder but couldn't even get a look in as a rookie because of his athletic deficiencies.

Steele's lack of pace will undoubtedly hinder him, I already notice that it does. Watch him closely and you'll see he has to stop and prop a lot of the time because he realises he can't outrun the person pressuring him, it's an issue Pendlebury has as well, it results in them both slowing play up and chipping the ball either backwards or 20 metres sidewards.

Beams on the other hand, although he isn't quick, always breaks lines and takes the game on. He grabs the ball and makes a bee-line towards our goals.

Plus I think the lack of penetration in his kicking will always hold him back from being elite, he'll always be solid and it's a huge bonus that he is completely competent on both feet, but neither foot is truly damaging. He does make good decisions though which obvious help, there is no doubting he is an extremely smart footballer. But he plays purely as an outside midfielder/forward, and I don't think his foot skills will ever really justify him being purely outside.

In contrast, Beams has an absolutely raking boot and continually looks dangerous when he is on or outside the 50. But his main strength is that he can play both inside and out effectively, he'll develop into a great bullocking midfielder I think. He is smart, extremely hard at the ball and sets up team mates well by hand.

MDC (a mod on the Pies board) said he could see Sidey becoming an upgraded version of Lockyer and I pretty much can't fault that view, they both have a lot of similar attributes.

On the other hand, I think Beams has potential to become a player of Black's calibre.

But I mean who knows, 5 years ago most would have been predicting Goddard to be a cheap version of Joel Bowden and Kosi to be an rich man's Carey.
Things change pretty quickly. That is just how I see those two boys at this precise moment in time.

^^^^

Very Good Points but I think you Underrate Steele a Bit There. He does stop and prop a bit but he can also be on the move when he gets the ball and leave players flat footed.

His Kicking is better than average, Might not be super Pentrating but it normally hit it's target and his short/medium kicking is very good.

He Also shown this season at worst he can be a very dangouse small forward where he always seems to know where to be to get the ball and kick a goal and can crumb very well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_afl_draft

My Top Ten based mostly on form, but also partly on potential. Therefore Jack Watts not included, though I think he will be one of the best of the draft.

1. Nic Naitanui
2. Stephen Hill
3. Ryan Schoenclangers
4. Daniel Rich
5. Michael Hurley
6. Nic Suban
7. Liam Shiels
8. Tyrone Vickery
9. Luke Shuey
10. Dayne Beams

I lol'd.....Schoenclangers :eek:

I'd go Top 5

1:Naitanui
2:Hurley
3:Hill
4:Rich
5:Ziebell

I would have thought when I said Eddie told me it was obvious, but he will be traded to gc17 for a draft pick, congrats on being the most successful runners up ever, Josh Fraser pick 1 David Hille pick 40+ Lol. Gee for a club with one flag in over 50 years there is a lot of optimism down at feral land. Who kicked four goals in a match in 2010?

Collingwood,hahahaha,:D

1. Hill
2. Hannebery
3. Rich
4. Anthony
5. Ziebell
6. Hurley
7. Sidebottom
8. Beams
9. Naitanui
10. Hartlett
11. Ballantyne
12. Bennell

Sidebottom has the most "footy smarts" of any player taken in this draft. Having a better year than Ziebell & Hannebery.

Getting out the back of a structured zone to pick up easy kicks is not "footy smarts".

Put Ziebell or Hanneberry in the Collingwood structure and they would shine much brighter than Sidebottom.

Getting out the back of a structured zone to pick up easy kicks is not "footy smarts".

Put Ziebell or Hanneberry in the Collingwood structure and they would shine much brighter than Sidebottom.

LOL.

Sidebottom has spent at least of 60% of his TOG in the midfield this year. He makes goals from his footy smarts & his deadly one touch.

Key example last night. Both goals were from stoppages & have nothing to do with zoning. He has more elite traits than Ziebell & has elite written allover him.

Watch more Collingwood games than just the one against your lot.

Sidebottom's reading of the play and positioning is elite.

Some players that could be in the top ten
Chris Yarran
Jack Ziebell
Hayden Ballantyne
Daniel Hannebery
Liam Anthony
Tom Swift
Steele Sidebottom

You must understand that some players were overlooked by teams at they would not fit in to the team structure well. Drafting is not done on what player is the best but it is done by what your team needs...... Well not if your Carlton that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back