Strategy Re-gigging our Forward Line?

Remove this Banner Ad

Options are Morabito to come in and help Pav - I believe he is same size as Darling. I would normally say Kepler but he has been playing back in the WAFL so they obviously have that in mind for him in the 1's.

However, most likely to come in is Taberner. Freo have to reward form.

I think you'll find that has more to do with him returning from a knee recon. They also did the same with Mora and are transitioning him more forward now.

I think you'll find that has more to do with him returning from a knee recon. They also did the same with Mora and are transitioning him more forward now.

What difference does it make what position they play after a knee reco? He played forward his first game i think? I figured it was preparing for *gulp* life after McPharlin.

What difference does it make what position they play after a knee reco? He played forward his first game i think? I figured it was preparing for *gulp* life after McPharlin.

Especially at WAFL level a defender is doing more straight line running, and reactive running, than as a forward or as a mid and hence putting less lateral stress on the knee.

That's the theory anyway.

He's played purely fullback to my understanding. He most certainly didn't leave there last weekend.

Someone suggested sending Mzungu to the forward line. This actually makes a lot of sense to me but Mzungu seems to be RTB's designated mister fixit. Every week he seems to get a different role usually plugging a hole somewhere. Last week he was doing MJ's role as MJ was doing McPharlin's this was unfortunate as it forced Sutty to try and tag Wingard a role I think Mzungu would have played much better. So whilst I think he would play a better lockdown forward than deBoer i think it unlikely.
I think that moving Neale forward would be a good move until Walters is fit but only if Mora or Sherridan start to perform in the midfield so reducing the need for him to be there.

So ideally;

HF: Mzungu, Pav, Neale (Walters when fit)
FF: Balla, Clarke/Griff, Mayne/Tabs

We need fyfe in the midfield and fyfe in the forward line.

But if I had to choose a spot for him it'd be midfield... drifting forward. Not starting forward. The more contests fyfe is in the more damaging he is... because he wins so many.

Fyfe starting at centre bounces then moving forward would be fine imo. He's certainly more damaging at centre bounces than around the ground stoppages, because of the limit of 4 players per side allowed there.

We need to go small, skilled and quick to lift our scoring rate:

HF: Duffy Clarke Crozier
FF: Ballas Pavlich Walters

Mayne goes to the backline and can even rotate up forward if need be. Think of Hawthorn's forward line, the two talls are Roughhead and Gunston and they rotate in Hale/McEvoy. In reality we need a lift from Clarke if we are gonna hoist the flag this year, he can make that much difference if he can find form.

When Mundy is on song, Fyfe can push forward, otherwise too much is left to Barlow.

Our issue in recent weeks has been Mundys lack of form. He seems to be finding some now, at the right time of the year.

Surely we'd have to go small in the forward line.

I'd almost be tempted to bring in Apeness against Brissy and Port to see if his form improves with Ballas/Walters/Duffy at his feet.

This makes me excited looking at it. It's taken all year but IF and a big IF, Duffy and Croz back up their games from last week in the same way we may have found what we needed. A bloody dangerous forward line. It may be small but with their pace there will be so many target on the lead and so many crumbing opportunities. 3 weeks to get it right. Please let it work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This makes me excited looking at it. It's taken all year but IF and a big IF, Duffy and Croz back up their games from last week in the same way we may have found what we needed. A bloody dangerous forward line. It may be small but with their pace there will be so many target on the lead and so many crumbing opportunities. 3 weeks to get it right. Please let it work
It all comes down to the delivery into our F50. With a small forward line, bombing it into F50 is always going to fail - in the last quarter against Geelong, we slowed it down and kicked to advantage for our smalls.

Kicking the ball to space in the forward line suits our game style around the ground too. We play for a stoppage at every chance we get but as soon as the ball is moving inside fifty we are trying to have a clean mark and set shot.

If we back ourselves to win stoppages at half back then we should back our ability to win them in the forward fifty.

As much as having tall timber and structure is important I think simply picking the better players is of more importance. Let's take crozier and Duffy, they aren't talls but are in better form than Apeness, Tabererner or even Clarke. So form > height/frame, put the talent their and you will find goals.

As much as having tall timber and structure is important I think simply picking the better players is of more importance. Let's take crozier and Duffy, they aren't talls but are in better form than Apeness, Tabererner or even Clarke. So form > height/frame, put the talent their and you will find goals.

I agree with what you are saying, but talls appear to be more important in finals. I remember the buldogs sides of yesteryear always finishing top 4, but never making the GF.

This may be slightly different now, if we can use the sling shot to our advantage and if we move the ball slowly Sandilands can push into the forward line to at least create a stoppage.

Having said that, we don't really have a choice as other than Pav, our KPF's are not performing. I hope Taberner plays and has a big game this week.

We need to go small, skilled and quick to lift our scoring rate:

Mayne goes to the backline and can even rotate up forward if need be. Think of Hawthorn's forward line, the two talls are Roughhead and Gunston and they rotate in Hale/McEvoy. In reality we need a lift from Clarke if we are gonna hoist the flag this year, he can make that much difference if he can find form.

What happens with de boer?

I'd be happy to see our forward six lining up a bit safer.

FF:Walters Clarke Ballas

HF: Mayne Pav Crozier/Duffy
(sub)

What happens with de boer?

I'd be happy to see our forward six lining up a bit safer.

FF:Walters Clarke Ballas

HF: Mayne Pav Crozier/Duffy
(sub)
This line of thinking highlights my opinion of the start of the season (though admittedly it was because I thought Sylvia was going to be better). Trade possibility.

There's a bunch of guys lining up for De Boer's spot, not just Sylvia. Morabito, Crozier, Sheridan, Grey, Ballard etc. If you regard him as a midfielder then he's in a world of trouble. I can see him having a role going forward as a replacement for Crowley, but his skills just aren't good enough to keep our other developing mids out of the team any more. Tackling alone doesn't get you a spot.

The problem with this forward line structure is Pavlich 1 out against 2 tall defenders and if Pav doesn't get his hands to the ball the crumber's will be chasing Hawthorn tail all day .

The problem with this forward line structure is Pavlich 1 out against 2 tall defenders and if Pav doesn't get his hands to the ball the crumber's will be chasing Hawthorn tail all day .

Yep, just need a touch more composure and not kick directly to the spare man and we'll be good. Sitting it up high with numbers against us should be forbidden at all costs, Lake and Taylor are excellent defenders but we make them look like gods by doing this.

Yep, just need a touch more composure and not kick directly to the spare man and we'll be good. Sitting it up high with numbers against us should be forbidden at all costs, Lake and Taylor are excellent defenders but we make them look like gods by doing this.
Which is why we need some one like Silvagni to run the blocks for Pav to have clean air to make the lead or fly for the mark without the second defender coming over the top of him in a marking contest .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back