Training RE: Goalkicking

Remove this Banner Ad

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
So i am listening to ABC Radio pre game. The subject of goalkicking comes up with our forward coach (longmuir?)

The dialogue went as follows

Reporter: "shots for goal and inaccuracy has been an an issue for eagles all season, is it something your working on?"

Longmuir: yeah most definitely, the boys are putting in work, they do 10 minutes after every training session"

10 minutes, 10 measly minutes.

And i kid you not, not only did he say it with a straight face, he almost said it with pride.

Once again, inaccuracy was an issue today.

I am no forward coach, but surely, with the way these boys are kicking, they can all endeavor to invest a lot damn more time then 10 freakin minutes after training!

Discuss

When your full forward kicks 3.6 with one of the 3 being on the goal line, and his name is not Lance Franklin, its obvious more work is needed.

Deepshit (Longmanure) .. surely we can do better for our forwards coach. Please tell me what he is gonna teach Lecras, JK or anyone that is the magical difference??

We also need to get the ball to players in the corridor region 20-30 meters out more often. A lot of shots get taken from 40m out near the boundary line which are always going to results in a lot of misses.
Nah we've missed a few from 20-30 metres out straight in front this year.

Our forwards (with exception of Cripps) are technically very good at kicking the footy, so it's not an inherent issue. They just go through patches of the yips. Especially in pressure matches (though have been a few easy games this year that we have failed to put away too)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not an excuse but with kennedy pushing more down the ground his inaccuracy could be partly blames on fatigue a bit. If we can have lycett spend more time we should use darling to push down the ground and have jk deep in forward. The only thing that will cost jk the coleman is his inaccuracy. if he was accurate, he would be on par or couple of goals behind lynch right now.

I don't think practice will do them any good tbh. Every player in our forward line has the ability to slot it from anywhere in the 50 and they have shown that they can. This problem they're having is mental and kicking practice won't fix that. They could practice for 1-2 hours and shoot at around 90% with no game pressure. It would be a waste of time.

Load the soundtrack with plenty of crowd noise and boos blaring out of speakers whilst they are practising in the 10 min session .

They also need to have a shot immediately at the end of a high intensity drill

Not for a set 10 minutes where they aren't fatigued.

This is not an excuse but with kennedy pushing more down the ground his inaccuracy could be partly blames on fatigue a bit. If we can have lycett spend more time we should use darling to push down the ground and have jk deep in forward. The only thing that will cost jk the coleman is his inaccuracy. if he was accurate, he would be on par or couple of goals behind lynch right now.

Yep i agree about JK playing further up the ground will increase fatigue. I mean he is averaging 17-18 disposals a game...but is he really needed to be further up the ground? Let Darling and as you said Lycett play further up. Could say the exact same for Lecra, he used to be deadly accurate when he was playing as a forward pocket. Hopefully when Sheed is back we have more mid rotations and Lecra plays his old role.

I've heard similar from most clubs over the years. "Working more on goal kicking" can literally mean 20 extra shot a training session. The best players do it in there own time, down to the local oval and kick away, same with basketball.

Kennedy and Lecras were at one stage quite accurate. What changed?

Darling and Hill seem to be ok.
Kennedy got rid of the run up stutter;). Also think with Le Cras being played in the midfield a fair bit these days for some reason has had an effect on his accuracy. Hopefully it's just in the short term. It's a mystery however. Would love to get Austin Robertson to show them how to kick goals (Except for the fact that he's a one-eyed Docker supporter). - he hardly ever missed during the time he played. Had a brilliant routine from memory - was a dead-eyed dick.

Only way they can train it is to have something serious riding on it.

It's not a matter of repetition, rote learning or blocking out distractions - these *ers have been kicking the footy around for most of their lives.

It's mental, so they somehow have to psychologically train themselves to perform to avoid some sort of repercussion, or to get some sort of significant reward.

I have no idea about sports psychology, but it's possible that repetitive practicing under no pressure (no repercussion for missing or no reward for accuracy) could actually be counterproductive.

Need to somehow simulate the fatigue, the unpredictable positioning, and the repercussions of a real match. I guess the only way to do it is to simulate real matches, with a real perceived loss/gain as a result.

If you can't replicate the elation of scoring, or the disappointment of missing, in a training environment, then there's probably no point practicing

Nah we've missed a few from 20-30 metres out straight in front this year.

Our forwards (with exception of Cripps) are technically very good at kicking the footy, so it's not an inherent issue. They just go through patches of the yips. Especially in pretty matches (though have been a few easy games this year that we have failed to put away too)

Not sure that I agree with this on Kennedy. In the latter half of last year I seemed to notice a distinct change in his follow through. Where previously (even through his stutter step phase) he followed through fairly straight, he seems to have developed this action of following through across his body. His kicked some absolute shanks last year which sailed through for goals luckily, and I remember thinking it would only be a matter of time before it came to bite him on the proverbial. I don't have the stats, but my observation is that he seems to be missing more to the left now.

And 10 mins goal kicking given our woeful conversion rate is just f***ed. Seriously, that is diabolical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back