Training RE: Goalkicking

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure that I agree with this on Kennedy. In the latter half of last year I seemed to notice a distinct change in his follow through. Where previously (even through his stutter step phase) he followed through fairly straight, he seems to have developed this action of following through across his body. His kicked some absolute shanks last year which sailed through for goals luckily, and I remember thinking it would only be a matter of time before it came to bite him on the proverbial. I don't have the stats, but my observation is that he seems to be missing more to the left now.

And 10 mins goal kicking given our woeful conversion rate is just f***ed. Seriously, that is diabolical.
True, but compared to someone like Casboult he is downright elite.

Thanks for reminding me that I had a typo in my OP too

And 10 mins goal kicking given our woeful conversion rate is just f***ed. Seriously, that is diabolical.
I don't know. It's all a mental thing as far as I'm concerned and goal kicking at training isn't going to change that.

I don't know. It's all a mental thing as far as I'm concerned and goal kicking at training isn't going to change that.

No doubt about it, has a massive part to play. However, my feelings are that the practice not only helps with the physical mechanics but also gives confidence in the process/setup and routine which should transfer to some extent to the mental side of things.

The closest thing that I can relate it to is putting in golf. It's a skill that has to be executed, but so much of it is mental, and it requires continued practice to maintain the rhythm and feel and routine.

Pro golfers are clearly pretty good at putting, but they continue to spend as much time on their putting as any other part of their game. I've never heard of any pro golfer say they only practice putting for 10 mins after every training session (or for that matter any professional sportsperson about any skill that is so crucial to their sport, as goal kicking is to footy). It just seems diabolical.

No doubt about it, has a massive part to play. However, my feelings are that the practice not only helps with the physical mechanics but also gives confidence in the process/setup and routine which should transfer to some extent to the mental side of things.

The closest thing that I can relate it to is putting in golf. It's a skill that has to be executed, but so much of it is mental, and it requires continued practice to maintain the rhythm and feel and routine.

Pro golfers are clearly pretty good at putting, but they continue to spend as much time on their putting as any other part of their game. I've never heard of any pro golfer say they only practice putting for 10 mins after every training session (or for that matter any professional sportsperson about any skill that is so crucial to their sport, as goal kicking is to footy). It just seems diabolical.

Yup ...I play off 6 and I don't hit many drives or iron play ....at 40 odd my swing is very ingrained

Putting ....is most of my practice. Jk misses a lot of shots from the right side ...he's a hook kicker or in golf a drawer of the ball ...he should try to lead to the other side (his right) or left hand side of field if you're the midfielder kicking it.

Buddy is a fader of the ball - his kick will bend the other way. The footy doesn't travel perfectly straight most times, most shape it one way or the other. You must know you're shape.

Darlings kick has a little fade on it (goes to right) which means he's kicking of the outside of the footy slightly or the swinging plane of his foot is out to in (across the ball)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back