List Mgmt. 2016 re-signing mission accomplished!

Remove this Banner Ad

Keays2myBeamas

All Australian
Oct 5, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The ghost of the Go Home 5+Aish still lurks around the ancient underground passageways of the Hyundai Centre, and he's often on the phone to the Herald Sun reminding them about all of the condemnation, physical abuse and tribal like segregation that apparently characterises the Brisbane Lions. So I thought it time to start jinxing the re-signings of our unquestionably desperate to leave playmakers with an operation thread, but apparently that’s not an option anymore… oh well it still seems a day for starting a thread.

Seriously though, our total list of unsigned players I think stands at 15, including a large portion of our baby backline: Clarke, Gardiner, Paparone and Dawson. There are also guys like Lester and West that might not get as many games as they would hope for this year, but are still important to keep for depth and list stability in my opinion. 15 coming out of contract is not an monstrously high number for January, but with what has happened in the recent past it wouldn’t shock me to see 2 or 3 of them leave against the club’s wishes at the end of the season. We’re all optimistic about the Lambert’s influence, especially on the younger brigade, and have already seen the changes, but I’m still a bit concerned about the established guys. We’ve got an insanely young side, a rough draw, and two of our absolute best in Zorko and Rich will be giving thought to big dollar offers from other clubs, with success in mind.

I'm not worried if they leave they leave, if they stay they stay. We just need players to buy into our club, players who by into our club will stay and it's only then that we will have a greater chance to start winning. Zorko and Rich are the two major ones in that list, but we are starting to get some depth on our list, so I'm hoping that it would not impact as badly as say 3 years ago where it literally bent us over. Baby steps.....

Saying this I hope they both resign, but I also hope we have healthy list turnover to get fresh perspective in too

When I read the thread title I reacted like "OH MY GOODNESS, GREAT JOB LIONS FOR SECURING SO MANY GREAT PLAYERS" and then I read through it and it was like a dagger going through me :cry:

I think it'd be very surprising if we held onto all of them. Taylor and Zorko I'd be pretty confident will stick around, I'd say Rich and Mayes would at the moment be more likely to leave than stay (if they were deciding now), and Green's probably 50/50.

Lambert's got his work cut out for him.

We have lost a few solid players in the last few years but our list even though it wasn't great to start with probably is a bit better ? I think as each year goes by your requirements shift a bit.If Cutler and Harwood really started to hit their straps this year for example you might think yeah if Richie wants out we might try and get Darling who is a more required type.

Didn't TheBrownDog say Zorko was close to re-signing?

Plus Taylor, Gardner and a few others (think Dawson) deep in negotiation?

If Rich leaves would it be acceptable for a grown man such as myself to cry? Nohomo.

I've been on Rich's corner from the time he's drafted but to be honest he didn't click on to be that 25+ possession mid yet. We have been trailing him in the backline, he did his knee etc, which added to more variations. But to be brutally honest he has not clicked on to that elite level, gut running and producing for all 4 quarters yet. Similar to Redden, I am assuming his salary would be capped somewhere based on the output shown which may or may not to be his liking. I believe we have a bit of depth to cover his position if it comes to him leaving.

In saying that, I am quite surprised at how pragmatic things have become with all these player movements. With Mitch Clark I was furious, go home 5 left me with a numb feeling and Aish was a bit like "meh". Clever trade returns giving us mature bodies like Bastinac and Bell have given me more hope that we won't be stuck in the draft-n-rebuild forever. Club seems to be working out a nice balance as well, depending on who is available in draft and who wants to "come home" to QLD. (pick 21 straight up for Bell vs last minute place for McGuane). Now that tall timber looks sorted, I am more confident that we will get adequate replacements even if some of them leave.

I'd love to keep Paparone considering the circumstances under which he re-signed last time. He's unique and will become a vital player for us plugging holes in defense+wing with his gut running ability.

I've been on Rich's corner from the time he's drafted but to be honest he didn't click on to be that 25+ possession mid yet. We have been trailing him in the backline, he did his knee etc, which added to more variations. But to be brutally honest he has not clicked on to that elite level, gut running and producing for all 4 quarters yet. Similar to Redden, I am assuming his salary would be capped somewhere based on the output shown which may or may not to be his liking. I believe we have a bit of depth to cover his position if it comes to him leaving.

In saying that, I am quite surprised at how pragmatic things have become with all these player movements. With Mitch Clark I was furious, go home 5 left me with a numb feeling and Aish was a bit like "meh". Clever trade returns giving us mature bodies like Bastinac and Bell have given me more hope that we won't be stuck in the draft-n-rebuild forever. Club seems to be working out a nice balance as well, depending on who is available in draft and who wants to "come home" to QLD. (pick 21 straight up for Bell vs last minute place for McGuane). Now that tall timber looks sorted, I am more confident that we will get adequate replacements even if some of them leave.

I'd love to keep Paparone considering the circumstances under which he re-signed last time. He's unique and will become a vital player for us plugging holes in defense+wing with his gut running ability.
Im with you on Rich. Dont get me wrong I'd love him to stay as he is a deadly boot but he isnt an elite mid yet. What I worry about is if he leaves he'll excel in teams with a solid midfield like a WC where the likes of Shuey gets the hard tag and then we'll hear no end of the exodus crap again. We need to win early games next year to get confidence into our group which'll be tough with our draw. It'll be bloody interesting

Wow the negativity on here actually shocks me I would have thought the number of off contract players would be about the league average at this time of year....no reason to think that our list turnover will be anything more than league average.

Yes we may lose some some that we want to keep but we may nab some from that other clubs would feel the same. List turnover is part of the business of the AFL these days more than ever .

I would be confident of keeping all of those mentioned, Mayes will be the only one on potential go home, Richy aint going anywhere unless he has an amazing season and a biding war starts that we cant match.. but out of all the 4+ season players on our list, Richy seems to have built himself the most complete life in Brissy.. Lewy will be here til he retires i reckon..

I see the biggest problem in 3 or 4 years keeping all our young talls, Andrews, Schache, Freeman, Mcstay and Close may all be at the point of contract renewal and be demanding a high price..

I think we will retain everyone on the list we want to for a couple of seasons..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mayes, zorko and taylor are the priorities for mine. Mayes has the class and footy nouse to be a star if played in the right position. Zorko and taylor have the outright speed and when both on can tear games apart with there high speed and frantic get the ball attitude. Zorkos round 23 game against the dogs was a prime example of how hungry for the ball he is. Yes he turned it over aplenty in the first quarter but only cause he was the only one trying.

Mayes, zorko and taylor are the priorities for mine. Mayes has the class and footy nouse to be a star if played in the right position. Zorko and taylor have the outright speed and when both on can tear games apart with there high speed and frantic get the ball attitude. Zorkos round 23 game against the dogs was a prime example of how hungry for the ball he is. Yes he turned it over aplenty in the first quarter but only cause he was the only one trying.
Many on here, myself included, have been keen for Mayes to return to the Half-forward/wing line but didn't he come out recently and say he genuinely wanted to make halfback/wing his spot? Or could that just be towing the company line perhaps?

I would love to see his skills utilised up forward but ultimately he has the talent to play at the back I guess. well IMO anyway, others may disagree

Many on here, myself included, have been keen for Mayes to return to the Half-forward/wing line but didn't he come out recently and say he genuinely wanted to make halfback/wing his spot? Or could that just be towing the company line perhaps?

I would love to see his skills utilised up forward but ultimately he has the talent to play at the back I guess. well IMO anyway, others may disagree
I think that was towing the company line. The kid has the talent to play amywhere. But does he have the heart.

I think that was towing the company line. The kid has the talent to play amywhere. But does he have the heart.
Yeah that is an interesting point. I would back him in to be a successful player, I just hope it is with us. He was the first big name youngster if you like to recommit after the GH5, so with that original show of faith I would love Sammy to hang around for a long career with us

Yeah that is an interesting point. I would back him in to be a successful player, I just hope it is with us. He was the first big name youngster if you like to recommit after the GH5, so with that original show of faith I would love Sammy to hang around for a long career with us
He'll recommit I reckon. Lambo's been huge.

I would be confident of keeping all of those mentioned, Mayes will be the only one on potential go home, Richy aint going anywhere unless he has an amazing season and a biding war starts that we cant match.. but out of all the 4+ season players on our list, Richy seems to have built himself the most complete life in Brissy.. Lewy will be here til he retires i reckon..

I see the biggest problem in 3 or 4 years keeping all our young talls, Andrews, Schache, Freeman, Mcstay and Close may all be at the point of contract renewal and be demanding a high price..

I think we will retain everyone on the list we want to for a couple of seasons..
I hope you are right, and I thought the same on Rich, he seems settled but maybe he will chase immediate success elsewhere but hopefully not. Zorko is the one that concerns me, seemed bloody negative and perhaps not sold on the club at times last year, hopefully it was just a poor year in general as he was a Lions man through and through initially.

I tweeted Lambert and asked if any resignings in the coming weeks, and to paraphrase the great man he simply said "we will be fine mate our club and players are a lot closer than some people would have you think #KeepTheFaith", didn't exactly answer the question but what I get out of it is belief that the players are buying into our club which is undoubtedly one of the most important steps.

if a player is in the 26+ age bracket and can't see the potential for success with us before they finish up that is where any "loyalty" to the lions will be tested.
it's important that we show some definite signs of this in 2016. loyalty v $$$ and/or success, the latter usually wins. not a criticism of the player, that is just the system we live in when it comes to any occupation sport or otherwise.

if a player is in the 26+ age bracket and can't see the potential for success with us before they finish up that is where any "loyalty" to the lions will be tested.
it's important that we show some definite signs of this in 2016. loyalty v $$$ and/or success, the latter usually wins. not a criticism of the player, that is just the system we live in when it comes to any occupation sport or otherwise.
100%. Anyone would think if we got 8-10 plus wins then staying should be easier.

When I read the thread title I reacted like "OH MY GOODNESS, GREAT JOB LIONS FOR SECURING SO MANY GREAT PLAYERS" and then I read through it and it was like a dagger going through me :cry:
You think that's bad, I missed the hyphen and nearly had a heart attack.

You think that's bad, I missed the hyphen and nearly had a heart attack.
Haha, imagine the headlines and talk about the lions culture. "AFL Rising Star Winner Lewis Taylor Resigns After 2 Years at Lions". Its terrible just thinking about it.

How many academy selections do the lions look like having this year? The gradual growth of the academy will mean less reliance on taking players from the mummy states.

Eventually clubs will stop looking at the lists of the northern clubs as a feeding ground for vultures if the makeup is 80% local

Remove this Banner Ad

Back