List Mgmt. Weak Flog Jake Lever Requests Trade to Melbourne, Causes Player Revolt

Where will Jake Lever end up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's an interesting question. Ultimately, worth is dependent on what someone is prepared to pay.

I reckon Lever is worth between pick 3-5 in a given draft year. Sound reasonable ? (For those that disagree that's fine, but I can't be bothered debating the issue. It's just an opinion)

Let's say pick 3. The points system awards 2,234 for pick 3.

We currently have pick 10, which is worth 1,395. Clearly Lever is worth more than pick 10.

Our next pick is 27. The awards system has pick 27 worth 703 points.

Pick 10 and pick 27 equates to 2,098. It's a little shy of the equivalent of pick 3, i.e. 2,234, but not a lot. If I'd said he was worth pick 4, i.e. smack bang between 3-5 then the points required would be 2,034.

So at pick 3, picks 10 and 27 is just below. At pick 4, picks 10 and 27 are just ahead.

I put it to you that picks 10 and 27 are reasonable under the circumstances for a player (intercept defender) that is worth around pick 3-4 in the draft.

Naturally, you're welcome to disagree.

Ok let's assume you're valuation of Lever correct, there won't be many clubs that will to trade pick 3/4 for 10 and 27.

If we're using draft points, then pick 10 and pick 14/15 next year with next year's 3rd and 4th round picks going back is also valued at approximately pick 3. I'll take that thanks.

The fact weve enquired about petracca according to connors is a direct correlation that lever is going to melbourne. There are a few players in our sights. All will be hard to get.
Petracca (signed until 19, doesnt want to leave vic)
Oliver (had a breakout year, signed until 19)
Jayden hunt (one of their only fast players, recently signed long term deal)
Viney (co captain, not happening)
Hogan (not happening, if anything he goes back to perth)

They will try and either farm off a jack watts (tambling mk 2), salem (injury prone, underachieved) or brayshaw (concussions)
All players we dont need or want.
Our first demand after they dont cough up a best 22 player has to be their pick 10 and 2018 1st. They will be lucky to make finals next year. They still rely heavily on vince, lewis and jones. All are on their last legs. Their forward line is suspect and lever will not make tgem a top 4 threat.

I certainly hope noone boos lever Friday. It could pile more pressure on him, put him off his gane and cost us a flag. It could also impact on other players who see that Adelaide fans will boo their own and be a factor when they are considering re-signing.

If/when he goes, ill boo him as loudly as the next bloke but until then hes helping us win a flag. Nothing should jeopardise that.

We are actually in a strong position here. By the time trade week comes around there will be histeria about Jake because every other high profile recruit has re signed. This will lead to competition and that will lead to us getting overs.
We are minor premiers and could win the flag so we don't need ready made players so we should try and get as much leverage for next years draft as possible to keep our list refreshed and top of the tree. As disappointed as I am to loose Jake this could actually be a blessing in disguise for Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noted.

If we can't develop first rounders we won't have a hope in hell in developing later picks like Hunt and Gawn, hence their (obvious) inclusion.

Not true. Sydney for a long time were dead useless in the first round, yet killed it later on.

Development isn't linearly related to draft pick position.

Sounds like a lot but $750k was the old $600k player before the 20% pay bump, really thats a middle tier player wage, someone who will play 250 odd games sure but not the top tier. Two firsts would be an elite player like Sloane. The term "trade" isn't really accurate, if you lose a good player you are always getting the lesser half. But there is always a chance you can pick an elite 300 game player and have them for 14 years, depends on your recruiting 'luck'.

It's a pity cos he is a gun, but if there was ever a position you can cover with a 'role player' it's a lockdown defender and someone else can provide the intercept and rebound. Shouldn't hurt too much.

Have the Crouch's re-signed?
This is a 3rd year player we're talking about here. Name me one other 3rd year player besides Tom Boyd who got that sort of offer.

The offers made by GWS and GCS don't count as they weren't operating inside the usual salary cap at that time.

They will be lucky to make finals next year. They still rely heavily on vince, lewis and jones. All are on their last legs. Their forward line is suspect and lever will not make tgem a top 4 threat.

This analysis lacks thought.

Vince was horrible this year and played little part in our fortunes.

Jones is far from "on his last legs" and had a terrific year, albeit he missed 6 games with injury, including our win over West Coast in Perth, so not totally reliant on him.

If you'd said before the start of the year that we'd finish on 12 wins with Gawn missing half the year, we'd have no recognised backup ruck, Hogan would miss two thirds of the year, Jones would miss 6 games, Viney would miss 5, Salem & Watts would miss a month with hamstrings, Lewis and Bugg would miss 3 & 6 with suspensions, vandenBerg would miss the entire year with injury, not many Dees fans would have believed you.

I can't imagine we'd have such wretched luck again next year and with maturing young players should be well placed to play finals. Especially with the potential addition of Lever.

Jones is far from "on his last legs" and had a terrific year, albeit he missed 6 games with injury, including our win over West Coast in Perth, so not totally reliant on him.

If you'd said before the start of the year that we'd finish on 12 wins with Gawn missing half the year, we'd have no recognised backup ruck, Hogan would miss two thirds of the year, Jones would miss 6 games, Viney would miss 5, Salem & Watts would miss a month with hamstrings, Lewis and Bugg would miss 3 & 6 with suspensions, vandenBerg would miss the entire year with injury, not many Dees fans would have believed you.

I can't imagine we'd have such wretched luck again next year and with maturing young players should be well placed to play finals. Especially with the potential addition of Lever.

Nothing to do with luck. Melbourne are just a piss weak club, perpetually looking for hand outs.

Nothing to do with luck. Melbourne are just a piss weak club, perpetually looking for hand outs.
They have been piss weak, no doubt. The worst performed Victorian AFL club in history (other than the defunct Fitzroy). Stats don't lie.

Your keen insight elevates you in these parts.
Without arguing about what you outlined yesterday in regard to the value you place in point/draft picks for Lever. Just curious to know if you place any value on:
  • his age
  • current level of development
  • potential for improvement?
  • the risk of going to draft vs an already established best 22 player
Accept that some these may be subjective. At some level there is risk involved in taking a draft picks, regardless of how high they. No guarantees.

:drunk:

We are actually in a strong position here. By the time trade week comes around there will be histeria about Jake because every other high profile recruit has re signed. This will lead to competition and that will lead to us getting overs.
We are minor premiers and could win the flag so we don't need ready made players so we should try and get as much leverage for next years draft as possible to keep our list refreshed and top of the tree. As disappointed as I am to loose Jake this could actually be a blessing in disguise for Adelaide.
There's there's an opposing argument that because our premiership window is open that we want to add ready made players to make us even stronger.

i agree that Melbourne have far better prospects than some are recognising here. Genuine question though , how do you feel about lever being the highest paid player at your club?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back