List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the following from a credible source who actually speaks to his missus. Her teaching contract wasn't renewed as they are going overseas at season's end her work place won't give her annual leave for the amount of time she's requesting. That's it really. She couldn't give a feeling either way whether she's staying or going and it could also just be smart play from Lever's missus to keep their cards close to their chests. She does have a really good friendship group here though.

The one issue with this is that most schools do not know yet if they have the positions for next year, so they can't promise anything or wouldn't be appointing people for the following year on contract positions.

If they are spending a considerable amount of time on holidays during term time and she's only been in the position for two years, then it's unlikely she would have enough leave accrued. It's not that they won't give her the leave, it's that she wouldn't have accrued enough.

Reading the Tippett article in the paper today

Reap what you sow Jakey, reap what you sow

That said - he really looked like he enjoyed playing against the dogs .....

Dunno

Which bit was the reaping? Playing in two grand finals (vs zero here), or the millions of dollars?

The one issue with this is that most schools do not know yet if they have the positions for next year, so they can't promise anything or wouldn't be appointing people for the following year on contract positions.

If they are spending a considerable amount of time on holidays during term time and she's only been in the position for two years, then it's unlikely she would have enough leave accrued. It's not that they won't give her the leave, it's that she wouldn't have accrued enough.

Teachers don't accrue annual leave given the fixed term holidays, leaving aside the nature of contract status. If someone weren't available for long periods of the contract period, they would more likely than not simply not be contracted.

I reckon she can go leave without pay without too many worries.

Also think the "invisible hand" of the AFC could help out getting her a teaching job if need be.

Isn't Wilderness School a club sponsor? We also have the "Growing with Grattitude" program with relationships that could help.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Leave without pay is typically an option. In this case it must not be (otherwise they would have granted it). If she's willing to leave her position over it, she'd have surely explored leave without pay.

Teachers don't accrue leave to use during term time, apart from long service leave (which is 7 years for pro-rata and 10 years to actually be able to take it as leave). If they want time off during terms they need to take it as unpaid leave.

I'm assuming she wanted to take leave during October and November, which would be the start and middle of Term 4. The school may have said she can't take unpaid leave, so her only option was to either not go on holidays with Jake, or resign. She chose the latter (since I'm guessing Jake earns enough for the loss of income not to matter).

Leave without pay is typically an option. In this case it must not be (otherwise they would have granted it). If she's willing to leave her position over it, she'd have surely explored leave without pay.

Fixed term contracts do not work like that.

Teachers don't accrue annual leave given the fixed term holidays, leaving aside the nature of contract status. If someone weren't available for long periods of the contract period, they would more likely than not simply not be contracted.

They do accrue recreation and long service leave, just like they accrue sick leave entitlements, but it depends upon the system they are in - private vs public. As she is in the private school system and on a contract, this might be slightly different, but teaching staff do accrue leave entitlements.

They do accrue recreation and long service leave, just like they accrue sick leave entitlements, but it depends upon the system they are in - private vs public. As she is in the private school system and on a contract, this might be slightly different, but teaching staff do accrue leave entitlements.

My wife doesn't accrue any recreation leave under the public system (outside of long service leave). The only recreation leave she gets is the set time off between terms and school years.

Here is how is see it playing out from here.

Lever's manager 'returns' from holiday just after the Port game (or around that time), then Lever states that contracts negotiations are recommencing and that there are several (non-specified) matters that they need to work through, but he "trusts his manager and the club".

He maintains this until round 23, where he now states that he just wants to focus on the finals and not to have to worry about his contract during the finals, effectively putting off discussions until seasons end.

Then at the end of the season (once the crows have played in the GF!), he holds a joint press conference from Melbourne wearing a Collingwood/Bulldogs/Hawthorn top (most likely Hawthorn to ensure we get screwed in the trade) to announce that he has decided to join their club and 'appreciates' the risk Adelaide took on him and all the development they put in to him, and that he loved his time here and it was such a hard decision and blah blah blah...it's not you it's me BS.

Then...HE MAKES MY LIST!

Feel free to point me to anything in any relevant award or enterprise agreement which suggests that teachers accrue annual leave (other than in a way which is forcibly spent in the fixed holidays). I'm not aware of any arrangement which would allow teachers to take annual or 'recreational' (whatever that is) leave during teaching times.

LSL is a different beast, but requires significant service to trigger it as 'takeable' leave.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lever's manager 'returns' from holiday just after the Port game (or around that time), then Lever states that contracts negotiations are recommencing and that there are several (non-specified) matters that they need to work through, but he "trusts his manager and the club".

He maintains this until round 23, where he now states that he just wants to focus on the finals and not to have to worry about his contract during the finals, effectively putting off discussions until seasons end.

Then at the end of the season (once the crows have played in the GF!), he holds a joint press conference from Melbourne wearing a Collingwood/Bulldogs/Hawthorn top (most likely Hawthorn to ensure we get screwed in the trade) to announce that he has decided to join their club and 'appreciates' the risk Adelaide took on him and all the development they put in to him, and that he loved his time here and it was such a hard decision and blah blah blah...it's not you it's me BS.

Then...HE MAKES MY LIST!
The List Of Jericho?

I'm not privy to her contract so i wouldn't know. But it appears you can take leave without pay even if you're a short term/contracted teacher. There's even a form on the DECD website for it. Now if she's at a private school, then its up to the private school.

Can, and are able to, are often different things if a leave form is discretionary.

Permanent employees of DECD are likely to be in significantly different positions I would have thought.

Then...HE MAKES MY LIST!

You've nailed the process. :mad: Hope we win it this year as we'll be a lesser team next without Lever and McGovern.

Anyway, this is all a bit untoward isnt it?

I generally think we shouldnt engage in an undue speculation on the activities of his partner, who's a 'civilian' and should be treated with respect of her privacy in my view.

Then...HE MAKES MY LIST!

Oh for the days when a kid sending a 20c piece in a letter to a superstar forward, stopped him leaving the Bulldogs to go to Port Adelaide.
Not sure there's too many kids with a spare $1M to post to Jake.:D

The pupil-free days are almost always days that teachers use for planning and team-building. Bit hard to do that when the kids are there.

That said, I give me wife plenty of s**t about how much leave teacher's get! :D

Teachers, like everyone else, are increasingly burdened with work demands in their non-contact time (including the time outside their regular work hours) with a whole array of planning, reportings and expected contributions to extra curricular activities.

People who think that its an easy life have only taken a superficial look from the outside, and generally are the sort of people that have no idea.

The pupil-free days are almost always days that teachers use for planning and team-building. Bit hard to do that when the kids are there.

That said, I give me wife plenty of s**t about how much leave teacher's get! :D

I know from seeing all the work my sister has to keep doing during her 'holiday' times now that this 'free' time that many people think teachers have is a crock. It's a lot worse now than what my Dad had to do during his teaching time, but even then he did quite a bit out of hours as well.

Anyway, this is all a bit untoward isnt it?

I generally think we shouldnt engage in an undue speculation on the activities of his partner, who's a 'civilian' and should be treated with respect of her privacy in my view.

So much this.

Last week a few mates from work and I were heading for lunch and talking about who comes in for Sloane assuming he was going to miss with concussion and we walked straight past Andy Otten. He just shook his head.

You get some feel for the Tippetts of the world when you're literally walking down the street hearing blokes nonchalantly talking about your workplace. Having pages of obsessives on a web forum speculating about the employment details of your partner is even creepier.

So much this.

Last week a few mates from work and I were heading for lunch and talking about who comes in for Sloane assuming he was going to miss with concussion and we walked straight past Andy Otten. He just shook his head.

You get some feel for the Tippetts of the world when you're literally walking down the street hearing blokes nonchalantly talking about your workplace. Having pages of obsessives on a web forum speculating about the employment details of your partner is even creepier.

I'm not really sympathetic to the Otten side of things -that's the trade off for making your living in an industry which makes its money from public interest. That interest is what fuels the wage level of players.

But partners etc don't voluntarily accept that risk. They should be left alone.

Incidentally, I can't think of anything more likely to put me off a fan base, where I a player, than to have my partner dragged into the spotlight and put under pressure, to have the details of their life aired out. It's just not really acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back