List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree with last line but I'll take it a step further. If we have matched or even bettered than what someone has offered and he still hasn't signed then I'd play him up until the GF and if we make it I'd say the week before the GF, you either sign or you don't play, your choice?

What do you want Jake, a GF or not? Team is bigger than the individual.
So we don't play our best team when a flag is one win away?

Jake would be smart to leave a club as petty as that tbh.

So we don't play our best team when a flag is one win away?

Jake would be smart to leave a club as petty as that tbh.
We must play our best side regardless of contract status, because we are a decent shot at the flag.

Leaving out players in their last year of their contract would likely cost us the opportunity of a flag, as we would be removing 3 key players.

Won't happen, as silly.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree with last line but I'll take it a step further. If we have matched or even bettered than what someone has offered and he still hasn't signed then I'd play him up until the GF and if we make it I'd say the week before the GF, you either sign or you don't play, your choice?

What do you want Jake, a GF or not? Team is bigger than the individual.

That is totally unrealistic. Do you want a flag as a supporter or not. The minute we pull a stunt like that, we lose not only a grand final but half our players will walk out the club and the Crows will become the joke club of the AFL overnight. In fact he could possibly sue the club for crap like that. If Jake wants to be a Crow he will be a Crow. If he doesn't we trade him. I am happy to let players go who don't want to be a Crow. Plus if he is silly to walk out on an exciting list thats his choice. Let him go.

Exactly, nothing like a dose of premature celebration to make everything feel better.

It's a silly response in any event.

In any circumstance that we're in whether it's top or bottom we're still better off retaining players we want to keep and getting maximum compensation in the event that we don't.

Crouch#44

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not saying we are better off, just that it hasn't been the end of the world

If Lever goes I'm sure the club won't fold into the fetal position

Any updates on your so called rumours that are perhaps giving you confidence the club won't fold ???

Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
The great Geelong and Hawthorn teams of recent years weren't made because 20 year olds were demanding top dollar.

Levers approach with all of this has been incredibly selfish.

As was Dangerfield.

And they're entitled to do so.

Just like we're entitled to think poorly of them for it.
Hasn't the club only recently tabled an offer? Perhaps both parties are going slow?

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
That is totally unrealistic. Do you want a flag as a supporter or not. The minute we pull a stunt like that, we lose not only a grand final but half our players will walk out the club and the Crows will become the joke club of the AFL overnight. In fact he could possibly sue the club for crap like that. If Jake wants to be a Crow he will be a Crow. If he doesn't we trade him. I am happy to let players go who don't want to be a Crow. Plus if he is silly to walk out on an exciting list thats his choice. Let him go.

Of course I want a flag but let's ask a simple question - assuming that offers have been made and if the offer he has received and the Adelaide have matched it or even bettered it, why not re-sign?

Personally, if offers have been tabled and his inability to commit to the club now, means he has gone.

If he does go, will I wish him well? Not bloody likely. If he goes I hope he never said finds success just like Tippett. The club gives you an opportunity that other clubs weren't prepared to take given your injury at the time. You give only a few years of your career to a club on the rise.

By all means win a Brownlow but in the scheme of things, to win the ultimate prize is what you should chase. A flag.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Of course I want a flag but let's ask a simple question - assuming that offers have been made and if the offer he has received and the Adelaide have matched it or even bettered it, why not re-sign?

Personally, if offers have been tabled and his inability to commit to the club now, means he has gone.

If he does go, will I wish him well? Not bloody likely. If he goes I hope he never said finds success just like Tippett. The club gives you an opportunity that other clubs weren't prepared to take given your injury at the time. You give only a few years of your career to a club on the rise.

By all means win a Brownlow but in the scheme of things, to win the ultimate prize is what you should chase. A flag.

Yeah....nah you are just being silly.

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I feel as if there may be ludicrously high offers being tabled by Vic clubs whom believe Jake can play this way as a KPD. As such they are tabling offers far outside the range we would consider for a third tall intercept marker (albeit it, a top notch one).

If the offer is touching that Million $ a year mark, we shouldnt match it. It would suck to lose him, but we can fill that gap if need be. Not a player who plays a role worth big time Midfielder/Key forward money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 8, 2007
Eddie Betts Pocket
AFL Club
Adelaide
If we draw the $ line for Lever at 700k, how does that translate to the new CBA? Was it a 20% increase? So 840k is the new 700k? Are people drawing the line at the future rates or based on player values in the past few years?

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
So Hutchy on AA and full of wrong statements. So apparently it'd be irresponsible of the Crows to pay Lever $850k a year but it's ok for the Dogs to pay that???????

And apparently Jenkins is on 700k a year lol. Typical Vic ****** with no clue.

I'm almost inclined to agree.

Crows are clearly going with a spread of quality. We want to win by our 10-22 players being better than the opponents.

Dogs are clearly following the Sydney example where your top 5 players take up half your cap and you just fill the other roles with whatever you can get.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I'm almost inclined to agree.

Crows are clearly going with a spread of quality. We want to win by our 10-22 players being better than the opponents.

Dogs are clearly following the Sydney example where your top 5 players take up half your cap and you just fill the other roles with whatever you can get.
Pyke always talks about wanting an even contribution from his 22.

Hard to say though. It might make us more consistent (which Pyke seems big on), but will we have the pure talent top end talent to beat the best of the best? Old "champion team Vs a team of champions" question.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pyke always talks about wanting an even contribution from his 22.

Hard to say though. It might make us more consistent (which Pyke seems big on), but will we have the pure talent top end talent to beat the best of the best? Old "champion team Vs a team of champions" question.

I'm making no judgment on which option is superior. I think teams have won premierships with both approaches. I'm just saying the different approaches mean we have to look at player contracts differently.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon he was happy with an offer and was set to sign, but then much larger offers from other clubs started rolling in and he changed his mind

So similar to JJ.

We need to get this s**t done earlier rather than trying to nickle and dime because it's costing us money.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I think the larger issue is the decision to put every other deal on hold until Lever makes his mind up. We've got Gov and Greenwood getting larger offers by the week, but apparently haven't even talked to Gov about a new deal in 3 months because we want Lever done first.

Need to ask him if he's serious about re-signing before finals and if he's not then go take care of some other blokes first.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the larger issue is the decision to put every other deal on hold until Lever makes his mind up. We've got Gov and Greenwood getting larger offers by the week, but apparently haven't even talked to Gov about a new deal in 3 months because we want Lever done first.

Need to ask him if he's serious about re-signing before finals and if he's not then go take care of some other blokes first.
Roo said the other day they both have offers in front of them.

I don't believe we would have Gov on the back burner

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Honestly it's giving Lever too much power as well.

It should be 'ok buddy you think about it, but know that we've got a limited pool of money to go around and this offer may have to be withdrawn due to other contracts if you take too long'.

Stop treating him like the star, he's a great player but he needs to accept he's just a piece of the puzzle.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
what? My comment was about rookie contracts, for keeping players at the clubs that drafted them longer, not trying to ship players off against their will. Salary increases has nothing to do with young players nominating trade partners.

Your points are all so far off topic they're not even worth responding to.

So you want 4 year contracts for draftees? So what happens when the club wants to delist or trade a player after 2 years?

You can't trade players against their own will, so a team would need to either hang on to a player they don't want, or pay out multiple years of a contract (which is included in the salary cap). Think about how many draftees don't last 4 years on the system. Clubs would not want that.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Jarryd Polec did exactly that.
What?

Jared Polec said he only wanted to go to Port, and Brisbane got screwed on the deal because of it.

We hung around for a while hoping it would all fall apart but that was never going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back