List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm, he re-signed for another two years while he was still in contract until the end of 2018.
He didnt drag it out and start taking.offers like Jake.
Little bit of a difference.

Two reasons for Jake leaving

1. Hes wants to go home or his missus wants to go home
2 We dont pony up

Cant see us not coming to the party and pony up, so he will be leaving for one reason if he leaves, which was the same as Gunston and Danger left

We are cooked if we can't re-sign two young fellas in their early 20's when we are having so much on field success. Hate to see what happens when we bottom out, will we be able to field a team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is strange that the chance of premiership success is good enough for some clubs to keep good players for unders, but not us.

Circumstances seem to conspire against us, with GC and GWS concessions and players with big "go home" factors. Then when a player in a Melbourne team has a "go home" factor he figures that out 2 years into a 5 year contract and we still can't get him!

This trend towards giving players huge long-term deals (even youngsters) is becoming an arms race. Lever is probably being offered 8-10 year deals from the likes of Melbourne, Bulldogs and Collingwood.

Not sure if this trend is in the long-term interests of footy. Tying up a large portion of your salary cap on one player tends not to work - Tom Boyd at the Bulldogs is the notable exception. Won them a flag but now struggling with form and mental health. Long-term deals also kinda counteract the trend towards greater player movement - most players honour their contracts.

Gibbs is 29, contracted and had no issue playing for Carlton, apparently it was his wife who wanted to come home.
A 29 year old knows their time in the game is coming to an end and can't afforded to sit out. They still have to make a salary to secure their future.
A deal could not be struck so Gibbs accepted the reality and fulfilled his contract.
McCarthy has youth on his side and it wasn't his about his wife/GF. An unhappy McCarthy wasn't prepared to play for GWS and saw no alternative than to sit out.
Gibbs was 27 during the trade-period last year.

The thing that is clear is that if you are losing a player, don't expect anything other than picks coming back. No-one is trading talent for talent.

We need to maximise the benefit to our squad - whatever will get us a premiership.

If we lose Dangerfield (apparently the GOAT already :rolleyes:) and the best young defender anyone has EVER seen :rolleyes: - and get Milera, Menzel, Gore, Gibbs and some other unknown, I'd be fine with that ... IF it delivers a premiership.

I personally think we lack a unified vision and consolidated culture at our club.

We're neither here or there and it simply becomes a place of work for people.

Not a bad place of work, but it's nothing more than that.

You can hate on port all you want, but there is a distinct culture at Port at means something to play for them, good or bad. What does it mean to play for Adelaide?

This results in players ties to the club being very transactional in nature.

On top of this we've gone out of our way to be perceived as a club that's easy to trade with. Other rivals are simply taking advantage of this.

It is strange that the chance of premiership success is good enough for some clubs to keep good players for unders, but not us.

Circumstances seem to conspire against us, with GC and GWS concessions and players with big "go home" factors. Then when a player in a Melbourne team has a "go home" factor he figures that out 2 years into a 5 year contract and we still can't get him!

That statement is a bit early to make. A lot of rumour mongering in the media is just designed as clickbait. The reason we don't have a signature from Lever is that his manager is overseas. He has stated numerous times that he will sit down with Adelaide as soon as his manager is available. Right now, I think all this discussion about Lever and all the big offers is being lead by the media who are using Adelaide's poor track record of keeping players as a reason to keep this up. All signs point to Lever staying. Also, his family has huge wraps on the AFC. Remember the praise of Adelaide and the relationship the club has had with Lever's family for about 3 years before he was drafted. We only have to look at how Sloane was basically signed sealed and delivered as St Kildas next captain on a 5 year deal as to how badly the media can get it wrong.

Others who have left.
Gunston left in 2011 when their was no sign of success
Tippett left after a successful season (by the club, he stank) but he was badly advised to become a mercenary in his football career by his dad. Probably a decision he regrets.
Danger left because of his wife wanting to move back to Geelong.

We are cooked if we can't re-sign two young fellas in their early 20's when we are having so much on field success. Hate to see what happens when we bottom out, will we be able to field a team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lever for their 1st plus more.

Get a replacement from Dogs or elsewhere (Lewis, Adams, ?)

Keep Gov

Use Lever picks and ours if required to get the best mid we can

Rockliff FA

That statement is a bit early to make. A lot of rumour mongering in the media is just designed as clickbait. The reason we don't have a signature from Lever is that his manager is overseas. He has stated numerous times that he will sit down with Adelaide as soon as his manager is available. Right now, I think all this discussion about Lever and all the big offers is being lead by the media who are using Adelaide's poor track record of keeping players as a reason to keep this up. All signs point to Lever staying. Also, his family has huge wraps on the AFC. Remember the praise of Adelaide and the relationship the club has had with Lever's family for about 3 years before he was drafted. We only have to look at how Sloane was basically signed sealed and delivered as St Kildas next captain on a 5 year deal as to how badly the media can get it wrong.

Others who have left.
Tippett left after a successful season (by the club, he stank) but he was badly advised to become a mercenary in his football career by his dad. Probably a decision he regrets.

Oh come on mate.....
I love your positivity but you have to be realistic, at this point the guy is gone! Obviously as long as the guy is at your club there is a chance it gets done but it's most likely a done deal.

Before his manager was overseas it was a " waiting for the CBA to be done"

Others who have left.

It's not looking great in regards to Lever. The drumbeats are getting louder.

Oh come on mate.....
I love your positivity but you have to be realistic, at this point the guy is gone! Obviously as long as the guy is at your club there is a chance it gets done but it's most likely a done deal.

Before his manager was overseas it was a " waiting for the CBA to be done"

He is waiting for his manager. Don't be such a negative nell!

Why would he stay?

Is he in demand?

If there is a Carlton/Brisbane etc interested in him, he'd be mad to stay as it's an easier path to an AFL career.

If Lever goes the unless we pick a 3rd tall up, the door opens here for Doedee seeing he has a good aerial game.

I personally think we lack a unified vision and consolidated culture at our club.

We're neither here or there and it simply becomes a place of work for people.

Not a bad place of work, but it's nothing more than that.

You can hate on port all you want, but there is a distinct culture at Port at means something to play for them, good or bad. What does it mean to play for Adelaide?

This results in players ties to the club being very transactional in nature.

On top of this we've gone out of our way to be perceived as a club that's easy to trade with. Other rivals are simply taking advantage of this.
Transactional in nature is a good one. Most players would be now I think.
I just get the feeling that from what Bickley was eluding to in regards to our club not being close at the start of negotiations might make them more transactional.
Our player might be going wtf is that how much they value me? By the time things ramp up and the offers get a lot closer to the rate required the player might go nah you started too low.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We make too many excuses for losing players simple as that....
they got offered once in a life time contracts, their partner wants to go home, it's too much money for a kid. Our players aren't the only players targeted yet we are seen as probably the easiest target in the AFL. We need to totally rethink our retention strategy and club culture or we will always be a so so club and never a powerhouse

It's not looking great in regards to Lever. The drumbeats are getting louder.

He can't do anymore to silence them because his manager is overseas. If and when his manager gets back and nothing progresses thats when I am worrying. Right now, I believe he and the club have been in negotiations for some time. Right now, the time frame is it is unlikely to be finalised by finals due to his manager. That suggests very much that negotiations are happening based on the language. This is why Fagen suggested the media don't know a lot.

Frankly, I am at a point where I will be disappointed if he does sign. Don't think we should go all in on a third tall, especially one that could go and give us the cap space and picks to get an A grade mid and keep Gov . Be far more pleased with that as a result than spending 800k on Jakey, losing Gov and not bolstering our midfield.

Lever for their 1st plus more.

Get a replacement from Dogs or elsewhere (Lewis, Adams, ?)

Keep Gov

Use Lever picks and ours if required to get the best mid we can

Rockliff FA

Dont know anything about the Lever situation, but a team like the dogs, desperately trying to get quality talls into the side isnt going to do a 'like for like' swap of any halfway decent contracted tall. If its players you want, they will offer fringe mids, of which we have an abundance. Names like Webb (who will be decent), Hamilton (who probably wont be but comes from SA if thats your bag) spring to mind.

I don't get why we went after Cameron. Were we planning on trading Jenkins if we got Cameron, because I don't see how Tex, JJ and Cameron would have all fit in the same team.

It was also strange as our forward line is our biggest strength, yet we were going to spend even more money there.

You upgrade JJ with Cameron.

That said this was a season or two before our forwardline clicked when we chased him.

Dont know anything about the Lever situation, but a team like the dogs, desperately trying to get quality talls into the side isnt going to do a 'like for like' swap of any halfway decent contracted tall. If its players you want, they will offer fringe mids, of which we have an abundance. Names like Webb (who will be decent), Hamilton (who probably wont be but comes from SA if thats your bag) spring to mind.
Fair enough. 1st, 2nd, fringe mid...sounds fair for an 850k player

Apart from picking up Hodge, Franklin and Roughead in the draft, Hawthorn assembled their 2008 premiership list through some creative trading. I would be happy for Lever to stay and commit for the rest of his career. On the other hand I think if he is going to go, it should be treated as an opportunity. And at some level I think it would be remiss of the club not to ask what is available (draft picks and players).

The media after much debate last week has moved on to the next "big" story. Luke Beveridge in an interview clearly stated that the Bulldogs had tabled an offer in good faith, however wouldn't pursue it further unless Jake announced an intention to move back to Victoria.

I think people need to remember that 2 years ago none the experts rated our defence. Last year they conceded the defence had improved however was vulnerable.

I'd be happy with first, second and a player we think could slot in for us.

Frankly, I am at a point where I will be disappointed if he does sign. Don't think we should go all in on a third tall, especially one that could go and give us the cap space and picks to get an A grade mid and keep Gov . Be far more pleased with that as a result than spending 800k on Jakey, losing Gov and not bolstering our midfield.

Do you really think a club that signed a $9m 7 year contract with a spud is going to sign another long term contract with a player in his 2nd year valued at over $800k a season? I think the media have added a couple of hundred K for clickbait. Any club who offers Jake that sort of coin is asking for contract trouble from its premier players. Is he valued more than the Bont, Libba, Wallis or Wood? Does Lever offer any more than Wood? So any talk of the Dogs offer being that high is a bit silly imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back