image.jpg

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
As I've said in other thread it would be useful if Walker/Danger came out as Sloane has and at least make some noises.

As things stand all we have is the stock standard line from Danger and nothing from Walker at all.

Until they do we a going to be the centre of a media s**t storm

May 13, 2006
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ford Cortina
I think the priority is sloane

Get him and the other two will sign.

In reality of the three the only one really at any Risk is Danger.

Agree Cap. Of the 3, he is the one that has indicated his loyalty to the Crows. Second would be Tex. But not by much. You would think these 2 would help Danger make a decision.

There will be a lot a s**t in the media next year, and the Port filth will be all over it.

I'm confident :drunk: our board can get the job done!

Tantidar

All Australian
Aug 17, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know we haven't done a lot right recently but we would have been planning for this since they last re-signed. While we won't be able to offer them all in $1m a season, we will have the cap space to fit them in. The cap keeps increasing, we've front loaded contracts, have some of tippett's cash left over, plus thommo's $500k+ contract off the books. And do people we would offer free agents like goldsack $400k a year if it jeopardise re-signed them?

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
That article smells of so much bullsh*t
David King throwing around crap that is basically disprovable:
Earlier, King said: “Port Adelaide has half a dozen forwards’ names on the board — and they need to get one big name; they have to land a big fish.

“Taylor Walker’s name is on the board.

Uhuh. Who else? Every club would have every player who has a year to go on their contract on the board. And Port do not *have* to land a big fish.

Even the headline:
Port Adelaide could raid Crows for Taylor Walker in 2015, says Fox Footy expert David King

Really they could? Who knew?!

Gee big scoop.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's clearly a beat up.

However the reality is offers will be in thick and fast for Tex especially now he has shown he's recovered from ACL.

Will Tex be a FA end of next year? Has the cost of trade been factored into this

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
As I've said in other thread it would be useful if Walker/Danger came out as Sloane has and at least make some noises.

As things stand all we have is the stock standard line from Danger and nothing from Walker at all.

Until they do we a going to be the centre of a media s**t storm

All three of the players management no doubt have told the players to hold off talks as long as possible. The reason would be to play the three contract talks against each other. So whoever signs first most likely in theory will be the least paid of the three and gives the other two a much better idea on the maximums they can ask for. I suspect had it only been one FA to sign it would have been done by now. I think the rumours starting to float around of player meetings with other clubs and figures of $1.2 million are nothing more than player managers leaking information purposefully to get the crows to start pumping out high contract offers.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
That article smells of so much bullsh*t
David King throwing around crap that is basically disprovable:

Uhuh. Who else? Every club would have every player who has a year to go on their contract on the board. And Port do not *have* to land a big fish.

Even the headline:

Really they could? Who knew?!

Gee big scoop.

Lol, its just a slow news day. Its a rumour generated out of coincidence of Port needing to think beyond Schulz and Tex being a FA. I do not think Tex would even want to play for a club he despises and hated ever since he was a young kid.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
These challenges are exactly why paying 'overs' for any player is such a risk. Even if that player comes via fa and doesn't cost a draft pick. If this was happening in the 2015 season and dmack is on the purported $400k, then we'd have $200k there, $250k with radar, $100k with pods ($200k??) and $100k with betts. So there's $650k being overspent that can't be gotten back when trying to re-sign others.

However, apart from dmack, none if those, even probably $400k of thommo will be an issue in 2016. And $100k overs for betts isn't a problem unless we repeat it a few times. But imagine missing out on one of those by $100k/yr, having squeezed every last drop out of the cap, while dmac still has 2 years to run costing $800k playing it out in the 2's.

This will be the first time since Tippett that we will be pushing the absolute limits of the cap. I hope we're a bit better at it this time and we haven't made a massive rod for our backs by overpaying mediocre role players. Given what happened with Bernie, I doubt we'll get many players to stay for loyalty or another intangible reason.

Fun times ahead.

Sep 16, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GO YOU CROW BOYS
I've never had the privelege of being paid to play sport. Does anyone think that a group of players in a similar situation might have a joint chat with their managers all together saying - we want to be here, we don't want to play our contracts off against each other - go and make it happen??

Sep 16, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GO YOU CROW BOYS
Long term deals for guys like DMAC might make it easier to know what we've got to play with as we try to juggle signing these 3 guys. Maybe that was a factor in getting a longer term deal done for DMAC?

I'm reasonably confident (ie. I'll bet Carl's left nut) that Tex would never go to Port.

But I think we are going to have to get used to the idea of losing players we love once free agency takes full hold. I think it's introduction to the AFL has inexorably changed the landscape.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So from what I can see Patty and Tex both came to us in the 2007 draft, so Tex is also a RFA at the end of 2015- can someone please confirm that?

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've never had the privelege of being paid to play sport. Does anyone think that a group of players in a similar situation might have a joint chat with their managers all together saying - we want to be here, we don't want to play our contracts off against each other - go and make it happen??
I thought Rory showed great leadership at his 100th presser. He almost went as far as committing the other two on their behalf.

I think he may well be the most important one of the three - in so far as being the glue

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

They may say it, but you can bet that the manager won't just respond with, "good lads, it might cost you $1m per season combined, but we agree 100%". They will have a very long list of reasons why the player should be looking after themselves first and the club second. There won't be any 'feel-good' commission coming their way for negotiating a contract $400k/yr less than market value. If the players wanted to do that, they'd basically have to terminate their contract with the manager. What's the point of having one if they're not being engaged to act in your best interests and push hard for your best deal.

Sep 16, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GO YOU CROW BOYS
They may say it, but you can bet that the manager won't just respond with, "good lads, it might cost you $1m per season combined, but we agree 100%". They will have a very long list of reasons why the player should be looking after themselves first and the club second. There won't be any 'feel-good' commission coming their way for negotiating a contract $400k/yr less than market value. If the players wanted to do that, they'd basically have to terminate their contract with the manager. What's the point of having one if they're not being engaged to act in your best interests and push hard for your best deal.
Their best interest may legitimately be to win a flag.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Btw anyone hear Leigh Matthews on 5AA the other night talking about the AA squad and Danger?
Couldn't believe Danger wasn't in it
Danger would be in the first 10 players he'd pick if he was putting together a side or playing a final next week
Thinks the AA squad is too reliant on stats, and there's no stat for value, influence and leadership
Thinks that Callan Ward, Tom Liberatore and Luke Parker who made the squad are "ok players" but aren't fit to tie the bootlaces of someone like Danger!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back