Re-signing Tom Lynch

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you not read the the Queen's English or did you miss this?

a more robust and better version of Taylor Walker with a lot more adaptability.
The same Tex who was tearing up the SANFL as an 18 year old. I havent seen Fog tear any game apart yet SANFL or AFL. Hopefully soon.

Part of Lynch’s value is his supposed unique ability. How does what he does differ (in substance, not in style) to Gunston, Heeney, Toby Greene or Stewart at Essendon to name a few? Sure, he’s better than many but most sides have a linking half forward with good work rate.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought we were talking about the game a fortnight against Port Adelaide?
The discussion has been if we will miss Sloane. I stated you put him in against Port and we win. The same could be said for Brad but we can’t rely on him. A fit Sloane we can, so we will miss him if he goes.

And yet the stats this season have Fogarty averaging 0.6 contested marks per game, compared to 1.5 per game for Tex.
Raw stats can be deceiving when you consider how much we'd kick it to Tex and how much to Fog.

This is where you get fails with AFL stats because you don't get per attempt or usuage rates that would paint a clearer picture.

Raw stats can be deceiving when you consider how much we'd kick it to Tex and how much to Fog.

This is where you get fails with AFL stats because you don't get per attempt or usuage rates that would paint a clearer picture.
Look, you can argue about the number of marks per attempt, but you don't have any data to back that up.

The stats we do have show that Walker has taken 9 contested marks in 6 games, while Fogarty has taken just 3 in 5 games. That's a large difference.

For it to be a lack of chances Walker would have to be getting the ball kicked to him 3 times as many times per game compared to Fogarty. So why does Walker only have 11 disposals per game compared to 8 per game for Fogarty? From what I've seen, Tex isn't losing a heap of contests that come his way.

Look, you can argue about the number of marks per attempt, but you don't have any data to back that up.

The stats we do have show that Walker has taken 9 contested marks in 6 games, while Fogarty has taken just 3 in 5 games. That's a large difference.

For it to be a lack of chances Walker would have to be getting the ball kicked to him 3 times as many times per game compared to Fogarty. So why does Walker only have 11 disposals per game compared to 8 per game for Fogarty? From what I've seen, Tex isn't losing a heap of contests that come his way.
You can't just say Tex has 9 and Fog has 3 and that's the end of it.

What if Fog has had 10 chances to take a contest mark and has 3, which means he's taken 30% of his attempted contested marks. And what if Tex has had 35 chances to take contested marks and only has 9, which means he's only taken 25% of his attempted contested marks? Just going "from what I've seen" isn't an accurate measure in the slightest.

You're saying there's no chance Tex gets the ball kicked to him 3 times more than Fog, but Tex only averaging 3 more disposals than Fog doesn't disprove that, he's not getting a disposal automatically just because it's kicked to him. His 1-1 win rate % could be well down on what Fog averages. Again, this is why I'm saying just a raw contested mark average doesn't prove anything without access to useage and effectiveness rates which the AFL have, but don't provide to the public (outside the end of year prospectus).

You can't just say Tex has 9 and Fog has 3 and that's the end of it.

What if Fog has had 10 chances to take a contest mark and has 3, which means he's taken 30% of his attempted contested marks. And what if Tex has had 35 chances to take contested marks and only has 9, which means he's only taken 25% of his attempted contested marks? Just going "from what I've seen" isn't an accurate measure in the slightest.

You're saying there's no chance Tex gets the ball kicked to him 3 times more than Fog, but Tex only averaging 3 more disposals than Fog doesn't disprove that, he's not getting a disposal automatically just because it's kicked to him. His 1-1 win rate % could be well down on what Fog averages. Again, this is why I'm saying just a raw contested mark average doesn't prove anything without access to useage and effectiveness rates which the AFL have, but don't provide to the public (outside the end of year prospectus).
So why isn't Fogarty getting as many disposals as Walker? Is he not working hard enough or is it just not getting kicked to him?

If it isn't getting kicked to him, Walker would need to have been targeted 3 times as much in order for Fogarty to average the same amount of contested marks per contest as Walker.

Do you really think that Walker is losing such a large percentage of 1-on-1's that his win rate is a third of the win rate of Fogarty?

So why isn't Fogarty getting as many disposals as Walker? Is he not working hard enough or is it just not getting kicked to him?

If it isn't getting kicked to him, Walker would need to have been targeted 3 times as much in order for Fogarty to average the same amount of contested marks per contest as Walker.

Do you really think that Walker is losing such a large percentage of 1-on-1's that his win rate is a third of the win rate of Fogarty?
Age, experience, fully developed footy smarts, fully developed understanding of team structures and game plan etc etc

We don’t know because we don’t have access to any of those stats, that’s what I’m saying. You’re making assumptions based on one simple stat, but there’s way more behind it than just a contested mark average.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah he caught a plane to Melbourne, coincidentally the same one as all of the Melbourne journos heading home from Adelaide.
Would not surprise me if he had a coffee somewhere and caught the next plane home.
Another one who thinks you can't get good coffee in Adelaide...

Wayne's-World

Nah he caught a plane to Melbourne, coincidentally the same one as all of the Melbourne journos heading home from Adelaide.
Would not surprise me if he had a coffee somewhere and caught the next plane home.
Are there team rules about traveling by plane in between games?

Seems odd that so much is made about travel and fatigue and recovery, yet the club would be okay with Lynch spending 2 hours sitting in a plane the day after a night game unnecessarily.

Are there team rules about traveling by plane in between games?

Seems odd that so much is made about travel and fatigue and recovery, yet the club would be okay with Lynch spending 2 hours sitting in a plane the day after a night game unnecessarily.
Surely he would have needed to get permission from the club to do it. He was supposedly on the Saturday morning red-eye, so he would have needed to miss the Saturday morning recovery session in order to catch that flight. There's no way he'd be doing that without the club's ok.

Fog is a player of the Degoey, Petracca, Zieball ilk IMO. All with varying degrees of Natural forward craft between them, but similar players none the less.

IMO, Fog plays primarily as a forward, pinch hitting through the midfield. A few centre bounces and attending bounces in the forward half of the ground. Providing grunt, class and a long, dual sided kick.

He has shown enough as a midfielder in juniors to suggest he'll become a valuable rotation, but he'll never be a bloke you build your midfield around.

Another one who thinks you can't get good coffee in Adelaide...

Wayne's-World

giphy.gif

Surely he would have needed to get permission from the club to do it. He was supposedly on the Saturday morning red-eye, so he would have needed to miss the Saturday morning recovery session in order to catch that flight. There's no way he'd be doing that without the club's ok.
Bit like Lever not meeting Melbourne last year during this fixture?

Bit like Lever not meeting Melbourne last year during this fixture?
Not really. Lever met with Melbourne when the Crows and Melbourne were both up in Darwin.

Lynch caught a flight to Melbourne the morning after a game and likely missed a recovery session as a result. There is no way he misses a recovery session without the club's permission. Whether he met with a Melbourne club on the weekend is unknown.

Not really. Lever met with Melbourne when the Crows and Melbourne were both up in Darwin.

Lynch caught a flight to Melbourne the morning after a game and likely missed a recovery session as a result. There is no way he misses a recovery session without the club's permission. Whether he met with a Melbourne club on the weekend is unknown.
Perhaps. But im not sure its difficult for a player to come up with a reason to fly to Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back