Ready made oval stadiums overseas

Remove this Banner Ad

Boris Paichadze Stadium

Tbilisi, Georgia

DinamovsLiberec-2.JPG

Just to give you a heads-up - an IAAF-Grade ! aths track is approximately 176 mtrs from the outside of the outside lane - one end to another. It's about 92 metres wide.

Variations are allowed to fit existing land sizes. The track for the Commonwealth Games laid on the MCG in 2006 was a bit rounder (shorter and fatter). most tracks around the world are slightly compromised by existing stadiums, road access, etc. In Melbourne, I believe there is only 2 Grade 1 tracks (by dimensions and layout) - Albert Park and Knox. Albert Park is the right shape and size, but has the 'outside lane' water jump - not sure why. But that's allowable. A lot of tracks have the water jump outside the outer lane, to avoid having a dirty great hole in the middle of the area where jumps, throws etc are taking place all the time.

Thanks for that. It seems if theres a runnng track and a bit of curvature on the wings it'd be hypothetically OK - just trash the track :eek:

seems theres literally dozens of such stadiums - new and old.

Many in eastern europe. middle east, africa, asia - great areas for expansion.

Get to it Andy D !!!!

You're all overlooking the most obvious one of all.

Eden Gardens, Calcutta.

MCG sized playing surface, with no pesky running track to get in the way.

MCG capacity stands.

100,000 feral pyromaniac supporters.

You could play footy there next week - all you'd need is the goal posts.

Eden Gardens4.JPG

Split, Croatia
f4e9fb.jpg

had a thought that adelaide oval would be great with two open ends like this - one for the 'hill' and one for the city.

Just add second tiers on the wings

Problem is - for cricket the best seats in the house are behind the bowlers arm. So the goal ends must be filled in with stands for the members to sit. Unless you want to run the wicket down the short axis, which is not the optimal configuration. This is the question I was posing in the OP of the new Perth Stadium thread. Something we need to get right.

Over to DY Patil stadium in Mumbai. There's been talk about Richmond playing a preseason game in India.
dypsa_stadium7.jpg
Ive been to DY Patil Stadium a couple of times: beautiful ground; but unfortunately just a tad too small. Guys would be having a shot at goals from the centre bounce... but I would rate Eden Gardens in Calcutta being a chance.. (if they would ever allow it)

Just measured the cricket pitch on the same map wicket to wicket and it came out 22 yards on the dot. That's pretty accurate. :p

guess it's more accurate than I thought. Still, I would like a proper confirmation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just quetley that'd make australia the hardest place to get sixes in cricket and therefore monster scores

Maybe for T/20 or ODI's, but for Test's the bigger grounds will allow for bigger scores on the basis of more area for fielders to cover.

Alf isnt even popular in the whole of Aus. so who in their right mind would like it overseas when they have better sports with lots of tradition?

just piss off somewhere else, seriously.

on topic... if a stadium has an olympic running track in it, does that generally mean its big enough to fit an AFL oval? the olympiastadion in Berlin with a packed house would be epic... I've been there when its empty and its still epic!

Alf isnt even popular in the whole of Aus. so who in their right mind would like it overseas when they have better sports with lots of tradition?

Who's this "Alf" you're talking about, I've never heard of him.

just piss off somewhere else, seriously.

on topic... if a stadium has an olympic running track in it, does that generally mean its big enough to fit an AFL oval? the olympiastadion in Berlin with a packed house would be epic... I've been there when its empty and its still epic!
Genrally speaking, probably not. Remember the Commonwealth games at the MCG, the 400m track on the outside lane was barely a lap, on most tracks its well over a lap. Those stadiums with tracks designed to hug the corners of a soccer pitch would probably not be large enough, even if the track was torn up or covered.
Twenty years ago, they probably would have been but AFL level football has evolved to the point where some grounds used in the past (eg North Hobart) would be totally unsuitable now for AFL level.

Ive been to DY Patil Stadium a couple of times: beautiful ground; but unfortunately just a tad too small. Guys would be having a shot at goals from the centre bounce... but I would rate Eden Gardens in Calcutta being a chance.. (if they would ever allow it)

Not so hypothetical now - or will AFL play elsewhere ?

You'd imagine here - but the field length doesnt look much different

Wankhede
1534px-Wankhede_Panoramic_ICC_WCF.jpg

Of course if you wanted to take AFL to the world stage, play an exhibition game here:

Not sure of the stats:

watch out for nosebleed seats

MTS2_jester_bex_982989_pitch_resource.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back