Realistic expectations of Paddy McCartin in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes id say a pass for the Saints would be 20 to 25 goals and with Bruce and Membrey and Nick kicking a bit , should see the Saints play finals this year.

I think this is about right. TBH, as a Saints supporter I would be most hoping he plays close to 22 games, I am not so much fussed about how many goals he kicks or even how much influence he has. He is the sort of player who is going to take some time to develop and more than anything he needs a run of games.

If he finishes the year with 20 - 25 that would be a bonus.

I'm sure if he didn't have the concussions he'd be tracking similar to Daniher at the same age, so his goal should be around that of Daniher's in his 3rd year, around 35 goals.

Daniher has actually tracked ahead of the curve compared to other forwards his size.

Daniher and McCartin are very different, in terms of playing style and physical attributes. I don't think it's a good comparison, just like Boyd isn't.

Daniher has actually tracked ahead of the curve compared to other forwards his size.

Daniher and McCartin are very different, in terms of playing style and physical attributes. I don't think it's a good comparison, just like Boyd isn't.
I agree that they're different types of key forwards, but I see him tracking similarly in terms of output.

I'm sure if he didn't have the concussions he'd be tracking similar to Daniher at the same age, so his goal should be around that of Daniher's in his 3rd year, around 35 goals.
As I said earlier, if he was to set a goal I reckon it would be 2 a game, but that a bit under that would be what you'd be really happy for him to end up with, as even if he's tracking better than that initially, it's hard to imagine he won't tire, if he does manage to play most games.

We were a team who were regarded as pretty attacking, with fast, slingshot type ball movement last season, and the reports coming out of our preseason suggest that we're looking to up the ante even further in that regard this year, so if we're moving it forward even faster and have the improved midfield that we look likely to have, Paddy's likely to have a lot of opportunities to kick goals, and to compete 1-out.

He was already looking really dangerous in 1-out situations last season, so with another preseason and year of development under his belt I'm really looking forward to him being even more so this year.

Paddy has all the attributes to kick bags of goals, takes big contested marks, has a huge boot and is very good on the lead. Quick ball movement into the forward line, another full pre-season/in the gym is only going to help him. Only query I have on him is whether he can stay healthy the whole year, the way he attacks the ball can be a worry sort of like how Browny used to run into packs (not saying he is Jono Brown). Think he will be a very good player for us and help free up Bruce and Membrey.

it was 2 goals in a game. Not averaging 2 goals over the year. Not sure anyone was pretending anything.
Someone said that they want 50 goals this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's his agility like? He's an old style CHF, kicks like a mule and has that natural knack up forward but the game certainly isn't tailored to those type of players anymore.

He'd enjoy having Bruce and Membrey up forward (and Riewoldt for the short-term) to take some of the heat of him so hopefully he develops his tank and continues to work on his all-round game to be effective.

If you want to be a simpleton and troll I'd look at this number.

Tom Boyd 3 grand final goals from one game.

I hope if patty gets his shot he can do better than that flop he probably has for a mentor. If.
Melty melt.

What's his agility like?

Biggest question mark I think. Looks to me that he finds it hard to change course but 2016 he also looked like he was carrying some condition and I would think the club would want to see him shed 3-5 kgs over pre-season.

I hope if patty gets his shot he can do better than that flop he probably has for a mentor. If.
Lol need a tissue?

Got to see your club win a flag and your still having a cry

Realistic expectations of Paddy in 2017 is 15-18 games and 25-30 goals. If he manages to put together a season like that then I think he'll be ready to start kicking 40+ per year for the next 8 years. Just need the kid to stop getting concussed.

If he can get on the park for 20 games he will kick more than 30 goals, I think that would be a good outcome given his age and experience. Has shown some impressive signs at this stage, really good contested mark and seems to thrive on the physicality. I have major concerns about his concussion issues though, when you look at the times he has been concussed it is hard to see how he actually got concussed in the incident. Hopefully those will go away as he builds his fitness base.

What's his agility like? He's an old style CHF, kicks like a mule and has that natural knack up forward but the game certainly isn't tailored to those type of players anymore.

He'd enjoy having Bruce and Membrey up forward (and Riewoldt for the short-term) to take some of the heat of him so hopefully he develops his tank and continues to work on his all-round game to be effective.

His agility is very good for someone his size. Reminds me of Roughead in that manner.

Those 3 have already been accounted for, they're part of the 'majority' of 7.

Just a note re his concussions, he never failed a single concussion test. I wouldn't put a goal expectation on him personally, has the ability to break out and kick 50 which would be terrific but at the same time if he kicks 30 from 20 whilst Bruce and Membrey kick around 50 each plus Roo for 30 odd that should be enough to see us make the finals, if we do and Paddy has been a good player for us in doing so then I'd say he's met his expectations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back