Remove this Banner Ad

brookers#5

Club Legend
Suspended
Jun 6, 2007
braybrook
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Only 20,000 against another melbourne team, granted they would of had next to nothing but when you are sitting in the top 4 surely all the supporters should be jumping out of the wood work & i think its a worry for your future when you can only attract this support when you are going well & i like the kangas but 10 teams in this state is clearly not going to work.

Im not a Melbourne knocker, but when 'another Melbourne club' rocks up with about 2000 fans at the Dome....well we know we only have about 20k of our own fans who will rock up on a sunday night (TV game), so we can only do so much...

Correct, the Kangaroos were playing for 2nd spot on the ladder and they also played interstate last week so their Melbourne based fans wouldn't have seen them live for a couple of weeks.

Their crowd tonight was pathetic - regardless of how many oppositions fans turned up. They either don't have the fans here or their fans want them to move to the Gold Coast - they certainly aren't supporting them with their feet.

Don't know about all of you, but most fans cant wait to go to a game when their team is in form and playing against a bottom placed side - normally it means a big win!

Expect Melbourne and the Kangaroos game to be played at Carrara next season.

Only 20,000 against another melbourne team, granted they would of had next to nothing but when you are sitting in the top 4 surely all the supporters should be jumping out of the wood work & i think its a worry for your future when you can only attract this support when you are going well & i like the kangas but 10 teams in this state is clearly not going to work.

Well the Hawks are relocating to Tassie, so there's one less melbourne team. :thumbsu:

you can only survive for as long as the afl wants you to

Comrade, you only exist because the AFL wanted you to.

I know that it is fashionable for some fans to bag us out & suggest that we are heading north, but it ain't happening.

We have always battled, we always will.

Four flags in the last 32 years eases that burden of being one little hop from the top.

Don't know about all of you, but most fans cant wait to go to a game when their team is in form and playing against a bottom placed side - normally it means a big win!

Yeah you.

I hope your team, whoever it is, had all their fans turn up on the weekend.

We are a small club - stop number crunching our winning ways.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't we have something like 1k less members than Essendon? :)

When your supporters start threads like this without knowing the facts (such as there being 2k Melbourne fans at tonights match) you can clearly understand that passion gets in the way of a lot of facts.

Melbourne should be on trial here...not us!

We had a bad year last year, had a lot of negative media, we got a shithouse fixture and we are playing a lot of dud teams on dud times full of pay-tv games played live against the gate.

Based on this season our fixture next year should improve, hopefully we end the year strongly and there is some good expectation for next year. If we can sort out the off-field negative media campaign, the club is clear about where it stands for the future after the Gemba research into the club's long-term future here in Melbourne then we could make some big in-roads.

I do not expect miracles, it is going to take a lot of work to grow the supporter base in a competitive market, but there is a lot of scope for improvement.

Seriously only about 3,000 Melbourne fans tops today I reckon.
Massively North crowd.

20,000 for a Sunday twilight game vs a bottom 2 team is acceptable.

I sense a nervous Hawks supporter - as he/she should be.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't we have something like 1k less members than Essendon? :)

Kennett is getting withdrawal symptoms, he hasn't sold off someone else's hard work since he was last running the state. He seems awfully keen on Tasmania for a club that looks to have a strong supporter base in Melbourne.

He called Tasmanian supporters more passionate than Melbourne supporters, what kind of message does that send you? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comrade, you only exist because the AFL wanted you to.

I know that it is fashionable for some fans to bag us out & suggest that we are heading north, but it ain't happening.

We have always battled, we always will.

Four flags in the last 32 years eases that burden of being one little hop from the top.
because the afl wanted more money is more like it.

We paid $7 million to join and now bring in more cash than a couple of the fabled 'big 4'.... but thats partially because the big 4 have to compete in the same market as the feeble 6

Then why target us?

Melbourne had Robbo's 200th to support and a lowly 2,000 turn up. I would be questioning Melbourne before you come trolling us about crowd figures.

Any clown who thinks we were going to attract a huge crowd to a Sunday night game against a Demon's side in freefall is just an "A" grade tosser.

Then why target us?

Melbourne had Robbo's 200th to support and a lowly 2,000 turn up. I would be questioning Melbourne before you come trolling us about crowd figures.

Any clown who thinks we were going to attract a huge crowd to a Sunday night game against a Demon's side in freefall is just an "A" grade tosser.
yet if it was melbourne v collingwood, more than 20000 melbourne fans would have turned up, the mcc would have been packed ;)

So although its not entirely the fault of the kangaroo fans, its proven every second week that they just dont pull the crowds they need to to survive.

They ain't gonna survive any where else, certainly not Queensland, seen the figures up there? A couple of years and the AFL will realise they need a new ground in Melbourne near where people actually live.

I'm sorry I just couldn't afford to jump on a plane and make the flight from Perth to Melbourne just to help us draw a larger crowd against a team whose supporters don't like to go anywhere but the MCG.

I WILL be making the trip over for North vs West Coast coming up though. So i hope that makes you happy.

Seriously you are a pleb, we have 22k members, 1k of those on the Gold coast and others scattered around the country. Do you honestly think that 19K North supporters is that terrible against a team like Melbourne?

yet if it was melbourne v collingwood, more than 20000 melbourne fans would have turned up, the mcc would have been packed ;)

So although its not entirely the fault of the kangaroo fans, its proven every second week that they just dont pull the crowds they need to to survive.

Look, we were crap last year, got a crap fixture this year because of it. On top of that we have had off-field issues you probably can't fathom. If we can turn things off-field around like we have done on-field the club should expect a better fixture next year, more games away from sunday like we did in 2005. We averaged some 40k for our Melbourne home games and that included 33k vs Eagles on a Friday night.

There is the potential for things to be much better in the future, our club needs to get their act together off-field and the AFL needs to give us a better crack at more favourable playing times. Our TV ratings are not that bad. People enjoy watching us play.

I don't want to name drop for obvious reasons but my dad is good friends with the uncle of a very high profile North Melbourne player and apparently they're moving to the GC in 2009/10. I don't want this to happen, I only want 1 team up here.

My barber goes to the pub with a guy who used to know the cousin of the mechanic of a guy who did the taxes of the lady who wandered past Arden St one day and she said that they are staying in Melbourne.

Then why target us?

Fair enough mate i'd probably say something similar if it was directed at my club but the facts that you are winning but you still dont get big crowds i would of thought met you just dont have the fans do survive long tem on the other hand melbourne when they are going well can pull a fair crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back