Really looking forward to this

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Can't wait for it. The fact that the mighty Royals (East Perth) are in it makes it even better.

Gives us a chance to see how the state leagues fair when placed side by side. Great for young kids to get exposure and great for other players who may have been previously overlooked to show they've still got value.

Can't see any downside to the competition at all.

I would really love to see this develop into a FA Cup type competition, obviously the logistics behind such an idea would make it nearly impossible. But it's a start

Go you mighty Roosters!!

PumpyChowdown

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2007
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
SUNS Maple Leafs Titans Liverpool
I sincerely hope this works, succeeds and catches on. To have a "Cup" style format showcasing the "best of the rest" will be a HUGE step forward for the code overall, and also the AFL will have a significant long term benefit.

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Can't wait for it. The game between Swan Districts (WA) and Williamstown (Vic) in Perth and also the match between Clarence (Tas) and Claremont (WA) would be something to look forward to. OK, there may be a few blowouts (ie one-sided games) in this comp. But at least we get to see what most of the clubs outside the AFL has to offer in terms of playing standard at club and league level and talent.

sydney_crow

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
I really hope the concept takes off and is here to stay - another added dimension to following the footy.

If it does survive beyond this season I hope the leading SANFL sides take their head out of their a** and join the competition...not participating is IMO a real backward step and diminishes the League of Champions slightly.

Finally I'm also very excited by the development of Andrew McLeod joining the NT side...perhaps this could lead the way to more 'guest' type players (recently retired ex-AFL greats, etc) joining these clubs only for the compressed League of Champions comp.
:thumbsu:

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
I really hope the concept takes off and is here to stay - another added dimension to following the footy.

If it does survive beyond this season I hope the leading SANFL sides take their head out of their a** and join the competition...not participating is IMO a real backward step and diminishes the League of Champions slightly.

Finally I'm also very excited by the development of Andrew McLeod joining the NT side...perhaps this could lead the way to more 'guest' type players (recently retired ex-AFL greats, etc) joining these clubs only for the compressed League of Champions comp.
:thumbsu:

Would it be interesting if Port Adelaide Magpies wins the FOXTEL Cup, uses it as a launching pad for their SANFL premiership bid, and somehow knocks off Centrals in the SANFL Grand Final. Centrals would probably rue not participating in the FOXTEL Cup. The decision not to be involved in the comp might come back to haunt the SA Bulldogs in the future.

The weeks that these Foxtel Cup games are on, do they state leagues not play that weekend?
I don't know how it's set up for the other leagues, but the SANFL has organised byes for West/Port/North when they're in this league

though, we only have 3 byes for 4 games, I think we have a split round too, so that's probably been placed at the time of one of the matches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

muesli

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2003
S/E Melb
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wantirna South (Eastern FL)
Should be good, especially as the clubs involved are taking it seriously.

Personally I hope the SA sides and the SANFL get humiliated, not as a "I hate SA" thing, more so as to get the better sides involved next year.
Yeah, i'm the same. No offence to the SANFL clubs competing, in fact well done to them for playing but i hope none of them win it. We want the best clubs from each competition & if they don't win it, hopefully there is a bit more pressure on the top SANFL sides next year to play, assuming it goes ahead in 2012 (lets hope it does).

Next year i'd also like to see the premiers of the WAFL, VFL, SANFL (if they play) and this years winner to be seeded so they wouldnt meet till the semi in 2012.

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
I hope it succeeds as well. Hopefully it can survive a few years so it does eventually become a big deal to all 2nd tier clubs and builds a following. If the ratings are good for Foxtel, they and the AFL are more likely to pump up the prizemoney and 2nd tier clubs who play in it will find more sponsors interested as a result.

Here's the wikipedia page btw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxtel_Cup

ps. A suggestion for the mods - perhaps this board's name should be altered to "League Championship Cup (Foxtel Cup)" so it's clear what this board is about.

Bulldog Banana

All Australian
Feb 20, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leicester City, St Mirren
Im also looking forward to this competition.

I used to watch the SANFL & WAFL games on ABC2 when they used to replay them late at night....until they scrapped that. (Still a sore point for me)

I enjoy watching the state leagues so this is taking it a little further.

A couple of questions;

1. Will VFL teams be able to use AFL listed players?

In effect the alinged VFL teams are basically AFL reserves, and for a team like Willy, there could be any number of bulldog players in the team. SANFL & WAFL teams will also have AFL listed players, but not to the same level as the VFL teams.

2. If Collingwoods VFL team compete against Port Magpies or Swan Districts in future years, will there be a Collingwood hissy fit about their black & white stripes & make them change them?

muesli

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2003
S/E Melb
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wantirna South (Eastern FL)
Im also looking forward to this competition.

I used to watch the SANFL & WAFL games on ABC2 when they used to replay them late at night....until they scrapped that. (Still a sore point for me)

I enjoy watching the state leagues so this is taking it a little further.

A couple of questions;

1. Will VFL teams be able to use AFL listed players?

In effect the alinged VFL teams are basically AFL reserves, and for a team like Willy, there could be any number of bulldog players in the team. SANFL & WAFL teams will also have AFL listed players, but not to the same level as the VFL teams.

2. If Collingwoods VFL team compete against Port Magpies or Swan Districts in future years, will there be a Collingwood hissy fit about their black & white stripes & make them change them?
1. Yes, AFL Listed players can play. Not sure if there is any restrictions as to how many though. Hopefully the games are not effected by the AFL bye this year, imagine if Carlton/North Melb/Bulldogs had a bye when Northern Bullants/North Ballarat/Williamstown played a later round match. Same goes for SA/WA teams to a lesser extent, picking up a couple of crows/power or eagles/freo players.

2. If there is a jumper clash you would think the away side would have to get a new jumper for the game, but who knows...

Back