Really sad exit from the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Pure Pop

Rookie
Mar 24, 2007
St Kilda
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When North went looking fo a coach and it looked like Nathan Buckley might be interested in walks Eddy who could not stand seeing his fave at another club and the deal was done

This deal was all about stopping Nathan coaching anywhere but Collingwood

Its all hindsight i reckon.
You can argue for 24 months its been a distraction as they were one point from being runners up twice.
But they did win the flag last year so maybe it was more Malthouse wanting to be vindicated.
But as the talk and pressure built up including the 2011 record against the Cats, make no mistake the Malthouse-Buckley saga was a key indicator in the Pies not going back to back.
Collingwood of 2011 is the Geelong of 2010 who both had a coach not going on the following year.
Premierships are won with united clubs.

The entire thing is stupid. Why change your coach when he won you a premiership and then took you to another GF? Eddie is a moron.

The deal was made back in around '08 or '09 I think. Back when Collingwood were average at best like they are now.

When North went looking fo a coach and it looked like Nathan Buckley might be interested in walks Eddy who could not stand seeing his fave at another club and the deal was done

Exactly right, that was what it was all ever about. Eddie and his ego couldn't handle seeing a favourite(his favourite) son coaching another team. What other team has removed a head coach when he is still at the top of his game, coming off a flag and a gf and still wants to coach??

I really hope buckley fails as a coach and this backfires big time for the pies....

The entire thing is stupid. Why change your coach when he won you a premiership and then took you to another GF? Eddie is a moron.

This is how I look at it. If Clarko had just coached a flag in 2008, but we did the same deal to ensure Damien Hardwick never coached anywhere else, I'd be livid. From the outside looking in, it's one of the strangest board decisions I can recall.

I don't know how you can measure it, but surely it had something to do with Collingwood's slip in form as the season progressed.

Exactly right, that was what it was all ever about. Eddie and his ego couldn't handle seeing a favourite(his favourite) son coaching another team. What other team has removed a head coach when he is still at the top of his game, coming off a flag and a gf and still wants to coach??

I really hope buckley fails as a coach and this backfires big time for the pies....
----------------------------------------

My thoughts exactly.

Buckley didnt want to play with Port as he wanted to play in a winning Grand Final so he left Port to play with the Lions .He left there and went to Collingwood .
The Lions won 3 grand Finals and Port 1 and Buckley NONE.:D:D:D:D

I think this was a poor move by collingwood. They have possibly the best coach and letting him go so they can install an inexperienced coach who from all reports has potential as a coach. This was orchestrated by Eddie so not to lose bucks who was being pursued by other clubs.
Yes malthouse signed off on the deal. Looking back he is obviously not happy and certainly going by the footy show interview the pies thought he spoke out of line. They can't go back on the deal and it could be a big mistake they have made. If bucks is a success then Eddie will be a hero so I guess it's a waiting game. It will though be interesting to see what malthouse has to say in the coming weeks/months.

----------------------------------------

My thoughts exactly.

Buckley didnt want to play with Port as he wanted to play in a winning Grand Final so he left Port to play with the Lions .He left there and went to Collingwood .
The Lions won 3 grand Finals and Port 1 and Buckley NONE.:D:D:D:D

No.

Buckley had signed with North to play after his year with Brissy.

Then he decided he wanted to play in Grand Finals and reneged on his deal with North.

In 1993.

LOL.

Wonder if history will repeat itself.

The footy Gods don't like this kind of stuff.

Not too fussed really. The press is done, it's been figured out like the cluster before it and will be replaced by something new next year. Mick hasn't exactly been the type to change things up over the years, it's probably the right time for him to go. We still have the cattle but with fresh ideas. It didn't hurt the cats one bit in 2011.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.

Then he decided he wanted to play in Grand Finals and reneged on his deal with North.

In 1993.

LOL.

So by being a complete tosser of a bloke Buckley missed out on the likely chance of playing in at least 1 AFL Premiership at 1 of Brisbane (2001-2003), North (1996,1999) or Port (2004) assuming he went home to Port when they entered the comp.

No.

In 1993.

LOL.

The footy gods have given a nasty little smack to the face of Ablett and Thomson, giving us a premiership just to rub in what they missed and how they werent in fact the be all and end all of Geelong.

Collingwood feel like us last year, internal coaching intrigue obviously hinders your performance as it did with us all last year basically and this year Collingwood were in a bit of turmoil later on due to Malthouse being a bit obvious with his emotional hurt at his poor me treatment.

So by being a complete tosser of a bloke Buckley missed out on the likely chance of playing in at least 1 AFL Premiership at 1 of Brisbane (2001-2003), North (1996,1999) or Port (2004) assuming he went home to Port when they entered the comp.

What an absolute cr0ck of sh1t.

North had pulled a swifty and tried to sign Buckley to a contract that broke AFL rules, Collingwood like every other club in Melbourne was trying to win Buckley's signature at the time. Sure North can be pissed off, but they were the ones who were acting outside the rules in the first place.

He didn't bend Brisbane over, he was zoned there despite never ever living there (something to do with NT), so Brisbane were able to snaffle him in a special priority zone pick. He made it clear from the get go that he wanted to play for a big club in Melbourne...Brisbane got more than fair compensation for a player they were lucky to get in the first place.

And you reckon turning his back on his Melbourne club and running on back to Port would have made him a better bloke?? Port would have thrown everything at Bucks at the end of 96....and the Pies were on a bad downward's curve at that stage, if Bucks was the selfish sh1t bloke people try to portray him as, surely he would have turned his back on Collingwood and signed with Port on huge $$ to be their first captain etc

By the way the succession plan deal was signed mid way through 2009, at that stage Collingwood were in the middle of another season of being also rans....it was the 10th season under MM when the Pies had not won a flag...

The succession plan already worked, we won a flag and now have the coach we wanted....just a pity MM couldn't hold up his end of the agreement.

Buckley's your final answer? Lock it in? Lock it in!!

Say MM didn't sign the agreement, would he have gotten the chop or not?

Some say the agreement didn't produce a second premiership in a row, I'd say the agreement produced at least one - a non agreement could've produced none.

That is such a lazy argument. If Buckley had stayed at Brisbane, there is a pretty solid argument to say that given the coin he would have been on that Brisbane couldnt have retained the same talent and may not have won any flags up there.

You cant assume the same things would have happened because one of the main variables would have changed.

The deal was made back in around '08 or '09 I think. Back when Collingwood were average at best like they are now.

What is it with St Kilda fans today? Really doing yourselves and your fellow fans a severe disservice.

22-3 over the whole year, losing only to the Premiership team. Hardly average.

Couldn't care less about Malthouse, very overated coach over the journey. He only got Footscray to the finals once in 6 years. Got to West Coast when they were still getting priority picks despite finishing Top 3 in 1990 & quite frankly with the talent & concessions West Coast had in their early years Malthouse should've got 4 flags. In the last 22 years of his coaching coaching his 2 clubs also have had by far the biggest football dept spend of any in the comp & he has a grand total of 3 flags, including a 16 year drought. On top of this underwhelming coaching record the bloke has been a shocker to deal with for the media & to see him now suck up & be the good guy the last few years so he can get some meaningful media employment at the end of his coaching career has been funny & pathetic to watch.

What I find funny about this situation is that Eddie got spooked Nth Melbourne of all clubs, a club that Collingwood have very little respect for & try to bully & patronise at any possible oppotunity. Deep down those at North might even be having a little chuckle at the situation they created down at Collingwood even though they missed out on the man they wanted. Brad Scott hasn't turned to badly for them anyway.

Yes. And you can speculate that in that era, Brisbane may have done even better than 3 flags, or North may have done better than 2, had they had a player of Buckley's ability feeding their key forwards.

What I find funny about this situation is that Eddie got spooked Nth Melbourne of all clubs, a club that Collingwood have very little respect for & try to bully & patronise at any possible oppotunity. Deep down those at North might even be having a little chuckle at the situation they created down at Collingwood even though they missed out on the man they wanted. Brad Scott hasn't turned to badly for them anyway.

In all honesty, I'd say most people involved at North would be pretty relieved it worked out the way it did. And I say that without casting aspersions on the coaching ability on Buckley.

Regardless of the ability of Brad Scott it was a much better decision to appoint him after a thorough selection process than it was to appoint someone who we'd thrown bags of dollars at simply on the basis of his name rather than any perceived coaching ability.

In hindsight it was a poor move by the administration and seemed to be a move that was predicated on luring a big name and with it, corporate sponsorship and fans, to Arden St. People don't go to games to watch someone moving magnets on a whiteboard in a coaching box.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back