Analysis Reasons to be Cheerful (2019) - Part One.

Remove this Banner Ad

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
They were dark dark years VDS66.

The horror of horrors for me was the start of the 1985 season.

4 100 point beltings in the first 7 rounds....the first 3 games were 100 point beltings.

The first 2 games were both at Moorabbin......Syd belted us by 110...….Carlton by 140 the next week...….can't tell you how depressing it was standing at ground level in the Social Club watching that stuff.....it's seared into my memory.

That's why for me.....the years 2003 thru 2012 were something to savior.....I never took any win from that period for granted.
We sort of turned it around with the arrival of Doc and Plugger and we dared to believe again.

91-92 finals. 93 a ripping start and then as night turns to day we imploded over the Winmar mess... Until 97.

Talk about a boom-bust cycle...

Last edited:

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
We sort of turned it around with the arrival of Doc and Plugger and we dared to believe again.

91-92 finals. 93 a ripping start and then as night turns to day we imploded over the Winmar mess... Until 97.

Talk about a boom-cycle...
Still have the Saints 92’ season highlights on VCR. When Sandy Roberts screams ‘Hilton Hotel has scored’ for some reason just sticks in the memory..

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ban please!
I'm actually more resilient than quite a few on here who were raised during our better era.

You raise a generation where everyone gets a lolly bag at the party, and as soon as they miss out they lose the plot and don't know how to deal with it.

I blame we the baby boomers.

We will be fine.

Those years were character building if nothing else.

I reckon the little league won more games.

100+ beltings were all to common and frequent.

We used to add the Little League scores onto the main game to see if we could scrape a win that way.

Still have the Saints 92’ season highlights on VCR. When Sandy Roberts screams ‘Hilton Hotel has scored’ for some reason just sticks in the memory..

I assumed this was Jeff Hilton but he only played 5 games for the Saints in '91 and one in '92. He did score (a point) in that 1992 game and Sandy is a good Saints man so it could have got a bit over-excited.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I assumed this was Jeff Hilton but he only played 5 games for the Saints in '91 and one in '92. He did score (a point) in that 1992 game and Sandy is a good Saints man so it could have got a bit over-excited.
Must have been 91 tape then ( which would make more sense given first finals for so long.. ).. definitely Jeff Hilton. Just remember Sandy screaming when he scored.

Harvey to Hayes

All Australian
Jun 8, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
St Kilda
They were dark dark years VDS66.

The horror of horrors for me was the start of the 1985 season.

4 100 point beltings in the first 7 rounds....the first 3 games were 100 point beltings.

The first 2 games were both at Moorabbin......Syd belted us by 110...….Carlton by 140 the next week...….can't tell you how depressing it was standing at ground level in the Social Club watching that stuff.....it's seared into my memory
Yeah but how good was then beating Fitzroy at Arctic Park on ANZAC Day in (from memory) Rd 5? Those kinda wins made me proud to be a Sainter despite the unrelenting adversity...

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
This topic has been cut and pasted onto SS! I guess they've run out things to say. I note with great amusement that the mega corkhead, Stone Cold, went off his tiny brain over it. Ironic, given he is one of the major reasons that forum has deteriorated so badly.

Hell hath no fury like a wannabe wharfie scorned!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
He's a well known ********. Even the majority of SS posters hate him. He goes under the names of take away and parkeysainter to try and give himself a leg up. They're onto him. *******.
Yeah forget that joint and the personality disorders over there.

Con Gorganzola has been banned over there, wonder who he is here?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fortunately everyone here is a certified genius with no issues.

Con G was Sonny Walters on BigFooty. Con and White Winmar were both strange.

As far as I know StoneCold is just StoneCold.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Fortunately everyone here is a certified genius with no issues.

Con G was Sonny Walters on BigFooty. Con and White Winmar were both strange.

As far as I know StoneCold is just StoneCold.
Better moderated here, with IMO, more informed views and better information than at the other fan forum

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Totally agree, although that's a big call coming from kosifantutti! 😜

What is Con Gorozides up to? New identity? I thought Con was one of the better posters over there. He got frustrated, pissed off and administered out of the place. One of the reasons that formerly great site is on its last legs. They could take a leaf out of our mods' book. 😍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back