Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
I was going to post just before Round One, but being a typical saints' fan, I thought it prudent to wait for further confirmation of the improvement we'd seen in the JLT series. Well, the moment has arrived. Despite a number of setbacks in the preseason, a slavering media led by the IPF, determined to put us down and cost us memberships, the club has managed to come up two and zip. What is more exciting than banking eight points in two games is the renewed spirit shown by the players, both in the JLT and the H & A season. Why am I like big Kev before he expired? It's because for the first time since 2011 that I've seen the return of the old saints' enthusiasm and more than a touch of the campaigner. Even in our darkest years in the '80s, and yes I was there, along with many of you on here, no team enjoyed coming to Moorabbin, even though there was a very good chance they'd get the points. Cunningham, Burns, Barker, Frawley, Plugger and myriad scrappers ensured the opposition left with a receipt or several. How refreshing to see that attitude return.

Let's start where we left off last time. The President is doing a good job. Being seen and not heard too much. Love the way he and Finnis praised the boys after the practice match wins. Some were critical about that. At that stage, we needed the psychological cuddle more than a hard-nosed, winning attitude. That will come later. What about that Satan Lethlean? What an acquisition he's been. For once the bargain bin has worked in our favour. It's like finding a gold ingot at a 50% discount at your local NQR. The way he has defended the club has been exactly what was needed.
No longer the pissweak deferring to the media and AFL. We had become hand baggers of the worst kind. The Murphy incident was a classic example. Somehow, the St.Kilda FC managed to become the villain of the piece, with our admin. willingly accepting blame. I and several others on here at the time lamented this. It did have a negative impact. I know this from three players who told me at the time. I can't imagine it happening under Satan. He has put a brick in our handbags.

Now, while on the subject of Satan, many in the media and this forum have criticised the decision to recruit Hannebery. "Old Boy's Network", "Jobs for the Boys", "looking out for his mates" were some of the kinder barbs thrown at him. Of course, the IPF, has jumped into the fray in a pathetic attempt to discredit a club and individual who had the temerity to question him. Long may Satan work his (black) magic. No more are we a soft target. That 80's spirit of issuing receipts is alive and well. ATM the IPF looks an even bigger flog that he usually does, and rightfully so. The Hannebery move has already paid off in ways outsiders don't acknowledge. His effect on the group has been significant, as was evidenced by his appointment to the leadership group. He will eventually come good physically, another thing we have to look forward to. Don't forget, people, we have Jake and Hanners in reserve. Two potentially elite players.

A quick mention of another one of our underrated recruits this year. Gubby Allan. In the dim dark days, I was last involved in recruiting, I recall his reputation for getting deals done and his awesome network. No one was better connected than the Gubbmeister. I know he's hit some hurdles since, but he's acknowledged as one of the best operators in the business. He will bring at least one, if not two top liners to the club in the offseason. Pity we didn't get him earlier last year. He was still working for Norf and managed to get players to go to that s**t stain of a club. If we even perform moderately well this year, he will deliver. It's just great to have him around the club and the Cho is said to be thrilled to have him around. That can only be a good thing.

Speaking of which, our reserves of young talent are looking promising We have three top ten draft picks yet to come in. Winx, Clark and Coffield, with Bytel in reserve for next year. Clavarino lurks in the background as well. Excited yet? Our mature agers have added the spark and experience we needed. Parker, Wilkie (a pair of guns), Kent, with Young and Hinds waiting to take their turn. Both of these last two bring more of what we need. Pace, skill and pressure. Has anyone else noticed how good our recruiting has been since the dud, Trout, left (sorry, couldn't help myself)? I note that cancer has been given the arse completely. They couldn't find that job they promised him. The current janitor was just too good. Guess where he is now? Essendope! That'll keep them down for a bit longer! Anyhoo, Libba and crew are doing well. Showing a bit of imagination and flair, not to mention competence. A major problem has been corrected with, dare I say it, pleasing results.

So, with several of our best players missing, an underdone Jack Steven and a number of inexperienced players, we have eked out two wins. Just wait until we hit our best form. As for the coach, you know I'm not a big fan. Credit where it's due. Even though he is still as boring as batshit in the media, I'm told that behind closed doors he has improved, greatly. Maybe that communications coach is having an impact. I think the "Clayton's Sacking" as I termed it was harsh but partially correct. Ratten, Lade and Slater have clearly made a positive impact. Don't underestimate Playfair's contribution, either. Only 22 goals conceded in two games augurs well for the future. Keep that up and we'll win more than we lose. Without our best two defenders in Robbo and Jake, the effort has been even more remarkable. The structures have been the key. Loving Battle's and Wilkie's efforts as well.

So there it is, fellow sainters. Plenty of reasons to be cheerful. The next instalment is due at the end of August, at which stage we should be preparing for finals. I know it's early days, but I have a good feeling about this season, that goes back to JLT number one. Dare to dream. I'm excited!

Last edited:

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was going to post just before Round One, but being a typical saints' fan, I thought it prudent to wait for further confirmation of the improvement we'd seen in the JLT series. Well, the moment has arrived. Despite a number of setbacks in the preseason, a slavering media led by the IPF, determined to put us down and cost us memberships, the club has managed to come up two and zip. What is more exciting than banking eight points in two games is the renewed spirit shown by the players, both in the JLT and the H & A season. Why am I like big Kev before he expired? It's because for the first time since 2011 that I've seen the return of the old saints' enthusiasm and more than a touch of the campaigner. Even in our darkest years in the '80s, and yes I was there, along with many of you on here, no team enjoyed coming to Moorabbin, even though there was a very good chance they'd get the points. Cunningham, Burns, Barker, Frawley, Plugger and myriad scrappers ensured the opposition left with a receipt or several. How refreshing to see that attitude return.

Let's start where we left off last time. The President is doing a good job. Being seen and not heard too much. Love the way he and Finnis praised the boys after the practice match wins. Some were critical about that. At that stage, we needed the psychological cuddle more than a hard-nosed, winning attitude. That will come later. What about that Satan Lethlean? What an acquisition he's been. For once the bargain bin has worked in our favour. It's like finding a gold ingot at a 50% discount on a gold bar at your local NQR. The way he has defended the club has been exactly what was needed.
No longer the pissweak deferring to the media and AFL. We had become hand baggers of the worst kind. The Murphy incident was a classic example. Somehow, the St.Kilda FC managed to become the villain of the piece, with our admin. willingly accepting blame. I and several others on here at the time lamented this. It did have a negative impact. I know this from three players who told me at the time. I can't imagine it happening under Satan.

Now, while on the subject of Satan, many in the media and this forum have criticised the decision to recruit Hannebery. "Old Boy's Network", "Jobs for the Boys", "looking out for his mates" were some of the kinder barbs thrown at him. Of course, the IPF, has jumped into the fray in a pathetic attempt to discredit a club and individual who had the temerity to question him. Long may Satan work his (black) magic. No more are we a soft target. That 80's spirit of issuing receipts is alive and well. ATM the IPF looks an even bigger flog that he usually does, and rightfully so. The Hannebery move has already paid off in ways outsiders don't acknowledge. His effect on the group has been significant, as was evidenced by his appointment to the leadership group. He will eventually come good physically, another thing we have to look forward to. Don't forget, people, we have Jake and Hanners in reserve. Two potentially elite players.

A quick mention of another one of our underrated recruits this year. Gubby Allan. In the dim dark days, I was last involved in recruiting, I recall his reputation for getting deals done and his awesome network. No one was better connected than the Gubbmeister. I know he's hit some hurdles since, but he's acknowledged as one of the best operators in the business. He will bring at least one, if not two top liners to the club in the offseason. Pity we didn't get him earlier last year. He was still working for Norf and managed to get players to go to that s**t stain of a club. If we even perform moderately well this year, he will deliver. It's just great to have him around the club and the Cho is said to be thrilled to have him around. That can only be a good thing.

Speaking of which, our reserves of young talent are looking promising We have three top ten draft picks yet to come in. Winx, Clark and Coffield, with Bytel in reserve for next year. Clavarino lurks in the background as well. Excited yet? Our mature agers have added the spark and experience we needed. Parker, Wilkie (a pair of guns), Kent, with Young and Hinds waiting to take their turn. Both of these last two bring more of what we need. Pace, skill and pressure. Has anyone else noticed how good our recruiting has been since the dud, Trout, left (sorry, couldn't help myself)? I note that cancer has been given the arse completely. They couldn't find that job they promised him. The current janitor was just too good. Guess where he is now? Essendope! That'll keep them down for a bit longer! Anyhoo, Libba and crew are doing well. Showing a bit of imagination and flair, not to mention competence. A major problem has been corrected with, dare I say it, pleasing results.

So, with several of our best players missing, an underdone Jack Steven and a number of inexperienced players, we have eked out two wins. Just wait until we hit our best form. As for the coach, you know I'm not a big fan. Credit where it's due. Even though he is still as boring as batshit in the media, I'm told that behind closed doors he has improved, greatly. Maybe that communications coach is having an impact. I think the "Clayton's Sacking" as I termed it was harsh but partially correct. Ratten, Lade and Slater have clearly made a positive impact. Don't underestimate Playfair's contribution, either. Only 22 goals conceded in two games augurs well for the future. Keep that up and we'll win more than we lose. Without our best two defenders in Robbo and Jake, the effort has been even more remarkable. The structures have been the key. Loving Battle's and Wilkie's efforts as well.

So there it is, fellow sainters. Plenty of reasons to be cheerful. The next instalment is due at the end of August, at which stage we should be preparing for finals. I know it's early days, but I have a good feeling about this season, that goes back to JLT number one. Dare to dream. I'm excited!
Nailed it mate. We’re back. We will lose games but as long as we’re having a dip and showing progress, I’m not that concerned. Having said that, I think we’re going to upset most teams this season and win more than we lose.

Let's start where we left off last time. The President is doing a good job. Being seen and not heard too much. Love the way he and Finnis praised the boys after the practice match wins. Some were critical about that. At that stage, we needed the psychological cuddle more than a hard-nosed, winning attitude. That will come later. What about that Satan Lethlean? What an acquisition he's been. For once the bargain bin has worked in our favour. It's like finding a gold ingot at a 50% discount at your local NQR. The way he has defended the club has been exactly what was needed.
No longer the pissweak deferring to the media and AFL. We had become hand baggers of the worst kind. The Murphy incident was a classic example. Somehow, the St.Kilda FC managed to become the villain of the piece, with our admin. willingly accepting blame. I and several others on here at the time lamented this. It did have a negative impact. I know this from three players who told me at the time. I can't imagine it happening under Satan. He has put a brick in our handbags.

Well put. There is a different feel this year, a new enthusiasm and a fair bit of mongrel. I wouldn't say we have played any great footy yet but we have won and you can't underestimate how important that is. The new boys in Ratten, Lade and Slater have now seen us play for real twice. Another week to get in the boys ears one on one and as a group to improve us a bit more.

We keep saying we are the fittest team in the comp ... keep saying it and the players will start believing it and it will be important towards the back end of the season.
We keep saying confidence is building ... keep saying it and the players will start to believe it and we'll win more games and confidence will keep building.

On BF we have our favourite whipping boys but IMHO no-one has been really badly this season and that is a measure of our improvement as a list. We have lots of players at Sandy ready to step in to fill the void if anyone does put in a few shockers in the seniors.

Coffield, Clark and Long will get to play their part at some point during the season. Hanners will also show us that he can help on the field as well as off it. Not sure if Jake will play this season but what a bonus that will be if he does. Paddy is probably done for his own good but we're all looking forward to seeing a fit Max King whether it's late 2019 for first up in 2020.

Steven and Acres will get better with each passing week and Kent will settle into the side and be a handy goal kicker for us.

Reasons to be cheerful indeed!

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
I think confidence is returning. Our shots around goal in the first half against the Dons were either rushed or tentative. We are going to get that right soon, and we will give someone the mother of all hidings. Bit like the first half of the Richmond game 2 years ago. Looking forward to it.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
I feel we are beginning to click finally.
Which team will be our first victim of many?
Hoping its Freo this week but just getting the 4 points would be such a bonus right now.

Just walked smack bang through the pub door and into the great Nicky Winmar. I immediately worshipped him, he laughed, and I got to shake his hand.

Dead.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

Viagra-esque post.

Different approach, same result.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
There was a piece of play soon after McGrath became McHalf that epitomized the effort with a bit of **** to me.
Edit. Correction, it was 2min before 3/4 time.

Three Dons players bowled over close to or over the boundary line. Looked like 10 pin bowling for a minute there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel we are beginning to click finally.
Which team will be our first victim of many?
Hoping its Freo this week but just getting the 4 points would be such a bonus right now.

We already have our first victim. I think you mean “next victim”.
Bombers were favourites make no mistake.
I love us being the hunter...

I’m feeling fairly optimistic about Freo. Never underestimate what confidence off the back of hard work and team cohesion can do.

Great OP for Part 2, Drake.

Last edited:

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda

Gets the juices flowing Drake, bravo.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Is this a reference to the Ian Dury and the Blockheads song? If so I hope Part 3 has a mention of yellow socks.

St Kilda and proud.
You know it, brother. Loved the late, great Ian Duty and his Blockheads. The theme of the threads are a knock to the songs.

You know it, brother. Loved the late, great Ian Duty and his Blockheads. The theme of the threads are a knock to the songs.

Great taste Drake Huggins. I was lucky enough to see Ian Dury and the Blockheads twice. First time when he came to Melbourne and played Festival Hall. The second time was really special. About six weeks before he died they did a show at the London Palladium on 6 Feb 2000. He'd grown up watching Sunday Night at the London Palladium on the telly and always wanted to do that himself. As you can imagine Ian didn't look great and he spent a lot of the performance seated. There was however a lot of love in the room everyone stood for the whole show even if Ian couldn't. Suggs and a few of the other Madness boys were in the crowd a few rows in front of me.

The supports included comedian Phil Jupitus, a magician Scott Penrose (in the style of Sunday Night at the London Palladium) and Kirsty McColl who also passed away too soon the same year.

I've found the set list online (https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ian-...london-palladium-london-england-23dba42f.html). Check out those last four songs ...

Reasons to be Cheerful, Part 3
Sweet Gene Vincent
Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
Sex & Drugs and Rock & Roll (encore)

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Great taste Drake Huggins. I was lucky enough to see Ian Dury and the Blockheads twice. First time when he came to Melbourne and played Festival Hall. The second time was really special. About six weeks before he died they did a show at the London Palladium on 6 Feb 2000. He'd grown up watching Sunday Night at the London Palladium on the telly and always wanted to do that himself. As you can imagine Ian didn't look great and he spent a lot of the performance seated. There was however a lot of love in the room everyone stood for the whole show even if Ian couldn't. Suggs and a few of the other Madness boys were in the crowd a few rows in front of me.

The supports included comedian Phil Jupitus, a magician Scott Penrose (in the style of Sunday Night at the London Palladium) and Kirsty McColl who also passed away too soon the same year.

I've found the set list online (https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ian-...london-palladium-london-england-23dba42f.html). Check out those last four songs ...

Reasons to be Cheerful, Part 3
Sweet Gene Vincent
Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
Sex & Drugs and Rock & Roll (encore)
Thanks, mate. Pure gold! There is no better song to play than "Hit me with your Rthym Stick", at 3 a.m In a dark and smokey nightclub in Bangkok.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
What about our CEO, Matt Finnish? He's stayed in the background for most of this year, but surely we can afford him some credit for the mini revival. Long way to go, but I can't help feeling the stars are aligning.
Don't forget Summers. The Moorabbin facilities with only a 12M debt is quite outstanding.

2 years of on field success will put a huge dent in that.

Maybe the club should Seek a donation or two... hint hint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back