Review Reasons to be cheerful

Remove this Banner Ad

With another season ending I thought it would be good to have a thread for positive thoughts about the Club. I would appreciate that people keep it positive, including not putting things like “Player x has played his last game for us”.

Also, the existence of this thread doesn’t mean we don’t have problems that need to be fixed or anything like that, but we already have plenty of threads for those discussions.

Kicking things off:
  • Josh Daicos: who saw that season coming? Went from someone that I felt was running out of chances to be anything more than a bit player to someone I now feel could become a genuine A grader.
  • Taylor Adams: a well deserved AA spot and a probable Copeland for Tay, who has shown real leadership this season and pencilled himself in as next captain of the Club.
  • Darcy Moore: played all but one game and was not injured at all. Established himself as a dominant KPD.
  • John Noble: another who dragged himself from outside the best 22 to an automatic selection.
  • Isaac Quaynor: will be a gun.
  • Jamie Elliott: another who defied recent history to play uninjured all season.
  • Jeremy Howe: will be back next year.
  • That win against the Eagles.
  • We might actually get to attend games next year.
  • Did we really want to win in this compromised season? (Well, yes. But if ever there was a season to be ok with not winning it, it’s this one)

I wouldn't call Noble an automatic selection but he was very much improved throughout the whole year. Can we give multiple points to Josh Daicos. What a year he had. I know he played one game but Will Kelly also looked very good in that one game.

I wouldn't call Noble an automatic selection but he was very much improved throughout the whole year. Can we give multiple points to Josh Daicos. What a year he had. I know he played one game but Will Kelly also looked very good in that one game.

Buckley’s comments last night showed the high expectations the club has for Will Kelly.

Buckley’s comments last night showed the high expectations the club has for Will Kelly.
I'm really keen to see him in action. Even guys that haven't played like Bianco or Rantall. Feel we may have some decent players in that mix.

Individually:

120034260_10158105179056107_827928223169984203_o.jpg

That final, the best team performance we showed:

Daicos and Quaynor the highlights. Knocking West Coast off in the elimination final a close second. Struggling to find a third.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not enough love for Jack Madgen, he's stepped up with the HOWE replacement
Madgen had a superb season comparative to where he was with his footy; his confidence really grew as the season progressed. One of only seven in the seniors (Daicos, Quaynor, Noble, Maynard, Adams and Moore) to have improved on their 2019 season. Tohill and Atu potentially did outside the 22, but with no VFL it's difficult to make that assessment.

With another season ending I thought it would be good to have a thread for positive thoughts about the Club. I would appreciate that people keep it positive, including not putting things like “Player x has played his last game for us”.

Also, the existence of this thread doesn’t mean we don’t have problems that need to be fixed or anything like that, but we already have plenty of threads for those discussions.

Kicking things off:
  • Josh Daicos: who saw that season coming? Went from someone that I felt was running out of chances to be anything more than a bit player to someone I now feel could become a genuine A grader.
  • Taylor Adams: a well deserved AA spot and a probable Copeland for Tay, who has shown real leadership this season and pencilled himself in as next captain of the Club.
  • Darcy Moore: played all but one game and was not injured at all. Established himself as a dominant KPD.
  • John Noble: another who dragged himself from outside the best 22 to an automatic selection.
  • Isaac Quaynor: will be a gun.
  • Jamie Elliott: another who defied recent history to play uninjured all season.
  • Jeremy Howe: will be back next year.
  • That win against the Eagles.
  • We might actually get to attend games next year.
  • Did we really want to win in this compromised season? (Well, yes. But if ever there was a season to be ok with not winning it, it’s this one)

You can't really add anymore than that, in fact you've done a stellar job just to get that out. That last point isn't really a positive, in fact the club would disagree with you on it - was regularly alluded to publicly by coaches and players they were in it to win it.

It's easy to be fairly optimistic.

I rate our list highly and believe that the club has more going for it than against.

We have stars all over the ground, 2 ready made recruits in Sidebottom and Howe for next year as well as Reef and Nick coming in.

Hopefully yesterday's result will jolt the club into making tough calls on coaching staff and players past their best.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

You can't really add anymore than that, in fact you've done a stellar job just to get that out. That last point isn't really a positive, in fact the club would disagree with you on it - was regularly alluded to publicly by coaches and players they were in it to win it.

Oh absolutely, but I always felt the best thing about this COVID affected season is that you can try as hard as any season but as soon as you’re kicked out you can start claiming that it doesn’t mean anything and that the flag is compromised.

Oh absolutely, but I always felt the best thing about this COVID affected season is that you can try as hard as any season but as soon as you’re kicked out you can start claiming that it doesn’t mean anything and that the flag is compromised.

If we won this flag, like the club alluded to then that would be our most revered flag of all time.

No, I don't take comfort in changing mind when it suits, I find that convenient and disingenuous.

I think we’ll see in years to come that we did really well with our 2019 draft pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back