Team Captain
Feb 9, 2001
Walkerville, Sth Aust
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Centrals,Sunderland,Hibs, NY Mets
How did everyone choose their sides?

Myself; My mothers family is from Newcastle and they have a tradition of supporting Sunderland. In the North East of England you either follow Newcastle or Sunderland and thakfully my family was firmly Red and White!! It was imprinted on my mind as a very small child to support them and to hate Newcastle United :D I first remember watching them on TV in the 1985 League Cup Final to Norwich and there were tears in the house that night as we lost!!

Saw my first Sunderland match in 1996 v Barnsley in the 1st Division. We won 1-0 away and we took 7,000 fans to an away match. I'd been told stories of Sunderland's support but until that day I never fully understood it. I also attended the very first match at the SOL against Manchester City, a 3-1 massacre of City in front of 40,000 plus fans, something I will take to my grave
:D

I follow Inter because half my family is from Italy. My dad came from Italy with my grandparents. They came from near Napoli, so obviously my grandparents follow Napoli.......and Hawthorn ;) Anyway, i wasn't all that excited by Napoli, Maradona or no Maradona. So i ended up choosing Internazionale as my team. I have followed Inter for about 7-8 years now. I have seen them win 2 UEFA Cups but thats all :( I hope to go to the San Siro one day, i better remember to take my riot gear....;) :D

'I have seen them win 2 UEFA Cups but thats all '

that's all :)

I have seen Sunderland win an old third division (now the 2nd division) championship in 1988 and two 1st Division Championships (both in the 1990's) and made an FA Cup final in 1992. I'd LOVE to see us win only two UEFA Cups ;)

In the 80s, everyone barracked for Liverpool, so being contrary, I went for Manchester United instead. I was also in awe of the noise made by the Old Trafford crowds, I became immersed in the history of United and what had happened to the Busby Babes, and finally, watching Norman Whiteside play.....if only his knees wearn't so bad, United would have broken their championship drought so much earlier.

I've seen United play twice....once at Old Trafford and once at the MCG. Seeing them at Old Trafford was one of the most amazing sporting experiences in my life.

I got no idea why I follow Everton.

I used to always watch the premier league H'lights on ABC, and for some reason I took a liking to the mighty toffee's!!!

Originally posted by CDFCLad
'I have seen them win 2 UEFA Cups but thats all '

that's all :)

I have seen Sunderland win an old third division (now the 2nd division) championship in 1988 and two 1st Division Championships (both in the 1990's) and made an FA Cup final in 1992. I'd LOVE to see us win only two UEFA Cups ;)

Hehehe ;) :D

With the amount of money and big names Inter have had then i should've seen more than 2 UEFA cup victories. :(

But, point taken ;)

Well here in Australia, I follow the mighty (ummm..) spirit :D I was brought to their last game in the debut season and loved the atmosphere!!! Pity the 2 years since haven't been as successful.. But I still go to most home games, and a lot of away ones too.

As for the EPL, I would have to tentatively say Arsenal. My best mate in high school followed Arsenal, so some enthusiasm rubbed off there too. Also, I liked Nick Hornby's book, Fever Pitch (for those who haven't read it.. GET IT!!! It's very relevant to any sports follower).

The first soccer match i remember watching was i think Manchester United vs Crystal Palace. Man Utd won that game so ive barracked for them ever since - this was about in 88-89

Because the 1st time I really remembered soccer as a kid was when Craig Johnston scored a goal for Liverpool in the FA Cup...been the only Aussie in Division 1 at the time, I made them my team...plus my Dad told me to go for Man U!!!

Started follwing English football in 1991 I think. All my mates followed Man U, but of course I wanted to be different. So I sat down and watched the highlights program on the ABC, and the main match was.... Man U vs Nottingham Forest. Forest won with a free kick from Stuart Pearce, I was so impressed I thought Forest were my team. Went to Nottingham to see a Premier League game there in 1998.

As for the Italian clubs, I support Reggina because they come from near where my father originates, and the people of that area were exceptionally hospitable to me. I support Perugia because I was lucky enough to live there for eight months, and went to as many games I could get to, and loved it.

Sbagman.

Ancestors came from Bedale ... and Darlington is nearby to Bedale. When originally choosing a team, I looked for a place near Bedale, not knowing there were more teams than just in the Premier division, and nearly decided on Newcastle (next nearest). Still have a soft spot for them, but as soon as I became aware of other divisions, found a place a bit closer to 'home'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Started following AC Milan, the year they lost the title to Maradona's Napoli, on the second last week of the year.

I remember Van Basten got sent off, Sacchi got kicked off the bench, and we lost I think 2-1 and dropped to second.

Sorry to rub it in CDFCLad but in my time I've seen arguable the greatest side ever (Sacchi's Milan with Gullit, Van Basten, Baresi, Maldini, Ricard etc.) add to that 3 European Champions Leagues, 2 Intercontental Cups, and about 5 championships.

My Favourite Soccer club of all is Carlisle United (you'll find them at the bottom of Division 3 this season) and while I can't be certain why I follow them, I have narrowed it down to three possibilities.

1. In the late seventies when I started following them there was an all-girl band that I liked called the Go-Go's, and Belinda Carlisle was the lead singer. Shocker I know

2. Around the same time, the County of Cumbria was known as Cumberland (or at least that what it said in the Atlas), and Cumberland Oval was the home ground of the Parramatta Eels until 1981 when the supporters burnt down the stadium the night they won the first premiership.

3. (and the most likely) It's the closest team to the Scottish border, and all my ancestors came from a small town called Dingwall in the Scottish Highlands. Incedentally, home of Ross County, the teams I follow in the SL.

Three crappy reasons, but that's all you need.

DEVO, surely there's another reason to love Carlisle? How about Jimmy Glass and the last minute goal to keep you up? That is probably the most amazing sports story I've ever known.

Pretty boring for me I'm afraid. Watching the 1990 World Cup, supporting England as is my want, and there's a nutcase called Gascoigne and a sublime striker called Lineker. "Who do they play for?" I wondered innocently. Now I'm stuck with Spurs! Damn you Gazza, damn you Gary!

Follow Lazio because Paul Okon played there (very very infrequently).

Originally posted by Danny Chook Fan Club
DEVO, surely there's another reason to love Carlisle? How about Jimmy Glass and the last minute goal to keep you up? That is probably the most amazing sports story I've ever known.

Danny, That happened on May 9 1999, not 1979 when I first started supporting the club. But, it is my all time favourite moment in sport. In fact Sports Tonight had as it's play of day late that Sunday night. My girlfriend can testify to that because I jumped out bed cheering and yahooing at midnight and scared her half to death. truth be told, we have the money, and support to at least be a Division 1 club, not at the bottom of division 3. Micheal Knighton and UFO's are killing the best club in England. Actually final rites are being played out now.

my old man's a geordie so i follow newcastle, simple as that. as a young lad my old man used to let me stay up and watch the english highlight packages which were always filled with malcolm mc donald magic. the old man always had a soft spot for the pathetic little club down the road, a bit like you'd take sympathy on a poor sick child i guess. i didn't really understand about the hostile rivalry with sunderland until i was a bit older and got on a plane and went to toon.

a few years ago i lived in england for a year and visited st james as often as i could, the atmosphere there is pure magic. i used to drive up from london on match days get as many broon ales in me as i could fit in before the game and sung and carried on with the greatest supporters on earth, magic times.

I lived in Bradford when i was very young and 20 years ago they were crap.So i had to pick another team.So i went for Man U because a few kids at school must have and my bro went for Liverpool.I've still got a Man U record i brought with me 18 years ago.Glory Glory Man United.Pity i don't have a record player no more.HAHA.Yeah but i've been with them through everything.Win,lose or draw i will always follow them.I also have a soft spot for Bradford City since the old man goes for them,but nothing better then when Man U thrashed them the last couple of years.

'the old man always had a soft spot for the pathetic little club down the road, a bit like you'd take sympathy on a poor sick child i guess'

More like your dad knows who the historical giant of North East football really is ;)

My family hail from Gosforth, Newcastle........anywhere near yours? I also lived in South Shields for 2 years. Now thats a lively town.........a Geordie city (the term originally only referred to Shielders actually) but at least 50% Sunderland support. My best mate in England took me to a hill in Shields where you could see both the SOL and St James'. Awesome sight.

Thanks Too Joffa, He has made me an even bigger Toon Fan!

Baiscly coz there black and white like Collingwood.

Originally posted by CDFCLad
'the old man always had a soft spot for the pathetic little club down the road, a bit like you'd take sympathy on a poor sick child i guess'

More like your dad knows who the historical giant of North East football really is ;)

My family hail from Gosforth, Newcastle........anywhere near yours? I also lived in South Shields for 2 years. Now thats a lively town.........a Geordie city (the term originally only referred to Shielders actually) but at least 50% Sunderland support. My best mate in England took me to a hill in Shields where you could see both the SOL and St James'. Awesome sight.

he's from wallsend which isn't far away from gosforth at all. nice place to visit but after seeing where he grew up i don't blame the old bloke for jumping on a ship and getting out. :eek:

Devo

I should really follow Carlisle I as was born and lived the first nine years of my life, 30 miles from there in a town called Maryport who were too small to have their own team.

Nice place Carlisle you know.

I follow their progression in the Newspapers as best I can.

Last time I was there was 1998. It was only sunny one day of my seven week holiday - in the middle of summer!!

I started following Leeds United about 6 years ago, when I developed a keen interest in the Premier League. I took a liking to Leeds straight away, no idea why, I just did. During those years there have been some poor seasons but now, being one of the better sides in Europe has certainly made following them a lot more enjoyable.

I am not one of these 'bandwagon' supporters who have jumped on in the past year or so, due to the arrival of Mark Viduka and the great form of Harry Kewell. But the Aussie influence makes it even better when following them as you want your country's players to play their best at the elite level.

In England, my real team is Chester City, but seeming we are facing expelsion from the Conference league due to that yank toss off Terry Smith, I don't know if they will be around to support much longer.

In the EPL, I hate to admit it, but I go for the Red Devils. Man U was playing Nott Forrest in a game in the very early 90's, and I saw them as they were the first team I saw, and being a 6 or 7 year old impressionable kid, I went for them. I didn't know at the time they would go on to be the richest sporting organization on the planet.

Elsewhere - Sth Melbourne because paul Wade came to my school and took a clinic once when he played for us.

Torino because I like their golden past and they will battle for the future...

and everywhere else:

Porto - Portugal
Rangers - Scotland
Athletico Madrid - Spain
1860 Munich - Germany
Feyenoord - Holland
St. Ettienne - France
Rio Plate - Argentina
Flamengo - Brazil

The Hitman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back