Reasons you follow your side.......

Remove this Banner Ad

CazC30

Far from the madding crowd.
Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't follow any team! but who should i follow?
Depends on your character and view on success.... Whether you demand constant success or the plucky spirit of the under dog? Being an Essendon fan you would be happy with the odd win and always feel lucky to not hit bottom... Desperate for a run of form and scoring great goals is only summoned by a prayer to Jesus, hopeful of a Good day you wish for wontan success but happy not to be thrashed as a run means a string of draws followed by a one nil win through a refereeing mistake, blatantly so... But hope springs eternal... Your team, your choice... But you're inbred with webbed fingers and toes and talk like you own a tractor.... Norwich be the choice as you shag your prize sheep.... The wife already thought you off with a broom... Ipswich won that day and the dog gets a kicking (again). Ouch to be English, to follow Norwich (Naarg, in local dialect) no more dreams just the smell of cow s**t, as the mustard factory closed down long ago... But you're proud, your team, your burden, you're choice.... Go Canaries!

Depends on your character and view on success.... Whether you demand constant success or the plucky spirit of the under dog? Being an Essendon fan you would be happy with the odd win and always feel lucky to not hit bottom... Desperate for a run of form and scoring great goals is only summoned by a prayer to Jesus, hopeful of a Good day you wish for wontan success but happy not to be thrashed as a run means a string of draws followed by a one nil win through a refereeing mistake, blatantly so... But hope springs eternal... Your team, your choice... But you're inbred with webbed fingers and toes and talk like you own a tractor.... Norwich be the choice as you shag your prize sheep.... The wife already thought you off with a broom... Ipswich won that day and the dog gets a kicking (again). Ouch to be English, to follow Norwich (Naarg, in local dialect) no more dreams just the smell of cow s**t, as the mustard factory closed down long ago... But you're proud, your team, your burden, you're choice.... Go Canaries!

Boy I hope he wasn't hanging on an answer to his question for this long.

When I was picking a side in the early-mid 90's Robbie Fowler was starting out at Liverpool.

When I first saw his name I thought it said Robbie Flower, so with a close enough Melbourne connection I decided Liverpool would be my team

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Michael Owen. Also think it was a Liverpool v arsenal game and I said whoever scores first I will go for. Liked the Liverpool name and logo too. Early 00s.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Big enough that they might go somewhere but not successful enough to be a bandwagoner. Was 18 in 2005.

Dec 31, 2012
Adelaide, SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Seattle Kraken, Seattle Sounders
Born in Brum to a family of Villa fans who went to every game, home/away, cup/league/friendly. My memory doesnt go back far enough to remember NOT having a season ticket to Villa Park whilst we lived in the UK...Also being named Aston kind of locked me in a little bit.

There have been bleak times (mostly as a kid who didnt quite get it) where I have lamented our lack of recent glory in comparison to my dad's stories of Rotterdam, Cruyff's Barca at Villa Park and Cup and league winning teams but I would never for a second entertain the idea of abandoning The Villa even if the unthinkable happened and we went under Id just be an interested neutral.

I love the absolute uniqueness of my club, the first team to strike upon the famous Claret and Blue, founders of the entire football league, the biggest contributor of England internationals right up to the 2000's when our decline comparative to other clubs of our stature started to become prolonged. The history of beating Breitner's Bayern with a team of players literally unknown in Europe at the time in the 1982 European Cup Final. Much more recently the romance of arresting the terminal decline of club and rising back to the top flight under the leadership of Dean Smith and Jack Grealish, two of our own who grew up loving the club as much as me. The fact that anyone who has sat in the Holte in the last 20-25 years probably shared it with our current manager and captain is insane in todays world of soccer at the highest level.

Started to watch the hour highlights show on SBS back in 2001 and Leeds had Viduka & Kewell so jumped on board. It’s been pretty interesting to say the least. Can’t wait to finally get over and watch a game at Elland Rd.
Yeah for me it was similar, watching SBS and seeing an Aussie in Kewell at Liverpool and also seeing guys like Gerrard and Owen. I must have been 8 years old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
My wife's a Man U fan, which rules them out and while living in Ireland (early 2000's) most of our friends were Man U, Liverpool or Everton but not having a team I usually found the relegation battle more interesting than the top spots. Maybe it's being a Freo fan, success rubs me the wrong way.

But we were living over there when Wimbledon was sold up the road and a bunch of fans said well f*** you then we'll start our own club. How could you not support that.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Wondered who 'C.Palace' were in the newspaper tables in the mid 70s. Then next year they become the 1st 3rd tier club to make the FA Cup Semi Finals (1976), 1st 3rd tier team to provide a Full England International (Peter Taylor) and Malcolm Allison, the Palace manager, was wearing his suede hat and smoking cigars as the FA Cup story made the papers here. Shortly after, the youngsters won the FA Youth Cup 2 years in a row, they were tagged the 'Team of the 80s' and I jumped on board. Ironically this weekend was the 40th anniversary of that young team topping the old 1st Division for the only time in the club's history. Heady times!

By the time there become wider media coverage in Australia and the information highway on the 'Net, I quickly determined Palace were never going to win anything, but it was far too late by then.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
I started following Leeds United about 6 years ago, when I developed a keen interest in the Premier League. I took a liking to Leeds straight away, no idea why, I just did. During those years there have been some poor seasons but now, being one of the better sides in Europe has certainly made following them a lot more enjoyable.

I am not one of these 'bandwagon' supporters who have jumped on in the past year or so, due to the arrival of Mark Viduka and the great form of Harry Kewell. But the Aussie influence makes it even better when following them as you want your country's players to play their best at the elite level.
Wonder if I’m still classed as a bandwagoner.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Back when I first started playing FIFA on PS3, I wanted to be a good team but not just another bandwagon supporter of the plastics or Reds, Man U etc.

Tottenham at this stage had Luka Modric, Gareth Bale, Michael Dawson and Ledley King. Tom Huddlestone and Scott Parker my two favourites of the non stars at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back