Remove this Banner Ad

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Now, I’m not saying that our current squad is done, but I just want to get people’s opinion on whether you’d like to see the club going full rebuild (like Gold Coast, Brisbane, Fremantle, Richmond and Carlton) after this era is done or refresh (like Geelong, Sydney, North Melbourne, Essendon and Hawthorn).

I personally think that rebuilding completely is the way to go for us. The reason why is because I think that refreshing wouldn’t work for us. Teams that refresh tend to have their talent spread across the older and younger players such that they can afford to refresh their side while maintaining their position. Important to note that this is what we did in 2016 because we had our talents spread across the young and the old. However, we have gotten to the point now where our talents are largely with the older players (27+) and a rebuild would be the way to go. I’m happy for Hardwick to oversee the rebuild process if he wants.

What do you guys think would be the best way to move forward from the current era?

Two losses and you guys are calling for a rebuild? After winning two flags in three years? Really!?

Now would be an opportune moment to spare a thought for those Richmond fans who turned up every week for 30 years despite the team winning nothing.

Two losses and you guys are calling for a rebuild? After winning two flags in three years? Really!?

Now would be an opportune moment to spare a thought for those Richmond fans who turned up every week for 30 years despite the team winning nothing.
Did you read the title only or did you actually read the OP? The post starts off by saying “now, I am not saying that the current squad is done”.

Refresh.

Save the rebuild for when Dusty, Grimes, Riewoldt, Edwards, Cotchin, Houli, Astbury are closer to the end. Admittedly some look close, but not all.

However, we could do with some new blood and some change. You can't stand still in this league or you get overtaken. We need another A grade midfielder, and ideally, an A grade midfielder with pace. We've gone from a quick team to now looking slow and one paced through the middle.

Secondly, 2020 might not even get to the end of the season if more players catch COVID. It doesn't matter, who gives a * about 2020. I wouldn't care less if we tanked for a top 5 pick and either traded it for a star midfielder under 25, or brought in an elite young talent. A star, big 190cm+ midfielder wouldn't go astray either as we often get smashed from the centre.

Finally, 2020 is the year to blood kids to refresh the list. Dow, RCD, Chol, Balta, CCJ, Naish, these guys MUST play at least half a dozen games each. These guys are part of our future, and we need to see what they've got. All it will do is put us in a better stead for 2021, when we can possibly have our last role of the dice with this list for one more crack at a flag before too many guys are at the end/ retire heading in to 2022.

Last edited:
The list is strong and think we’ll turn it round some time this year and contend again next.
Feeling confident about the group of young talls coming through but the Midfield is a concern. In particular inside mids which is what we need to focus on during the trade period and draft

Refresh.

Save the rebuild for when Dusty, Grimes, Riewoldt, Edwards, Cotchin, Houli, Astbury are closer to the end. Admittedly some look close, but not all.

However, we could do with some new blood and some change. You can't stand still in this league or you get overtaken. We need another A grade midfielder, and ideally, an A grade midfielder with pace. We've gone from a quick team to now looking slow and one paced through the middle.

Secondly, 2020 might not even get to the end of the season if more players catch COVID. It doesn't matter, who gives a fu** about 2020. I wouldn't care less if we tanked for a top 5 pick and either traded it for a star midfielder under 25, or brought in an elite young talent. A star, big 190cm+ midfielder wouldn't go astray either as we often get smashed from the centre.

Finally, 2020 is the year to blood kids to refresh the list. Dow, RCD, Chol, Balta, CCJ, Naish, these guys MUST play at least half a dozen games each. These guys are part of our future, and we need to see what they've got. All it will do is put us in a better stead for 2021, when we can possibly have our last role of the dice with this list for one more crack at a flag before too many guys are at the end/ retire heading in to 2022.
Agreed that now is the time to blood kids.
It’s shaping us such an unusual season that if you introduce some fresh talent and our stars start clicking we might be able to win enough games to get into contention.
And if that doesn’t pan out then at the very least we’ll identify some talent leading into next season

Just need to pull our finger out. I figured this season would be bad for some teams, didn't expect the Tiges to go this badly so far though.

I would like to see more of Balta and Ross though. Not sure if he has as big of an engine as Ellis, but maybe Ross could go alright on the wing? Balta I feel could be very important in our backline in a few years. Need to persist.

The jump from 2016 to 2017 wasn't that drastic and we are far closer to a 2017 side than a 2016 side. Just need to tweak some things and get back to our game.

I think this is a compromised year.
Shortened quarters, modified and back-ended fixtures.
It is not the proper regular season of footy that they had planned for.
Some tweaks and minor modifications to the team over time but not wholesale changes.
Football should return to normal transmission next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The signs aren't good though, we used to be the best tackling and running team and both of those areas we look to be have been overtaken by several teams. Obviously if this year doesn't work out we should spend the Rance money and have another crack next year with a refresh. But it is possible we are past our best.

Get the kids in may give us the boost we need like last season when we were depleted with injuries.Dow,Balta,CCJ,RCD can't be worse then what's out there now.

Rebuild after 2 looses lool come on guys.Reset and get back to basics what made us a great footy team hard work.

The list is strong and think we’ll turn it round some time this year and contend again next.
Feeling confident about the group of young talls coming through but the Midfield is a concern. In particular inside mids which is what we need to focus on during the trade period and draft
We got a bunch of mids in Martyn, Cumberland and Dow last draft. I think we need more, but also some genuine tall defenders too because that’s looking paper thin. I think Dow in particular will be great on the inside for us because he has that burst in speed that we are desperately lacking there

We got a bunch of mids in Martyn, Cumberland and Dow last draft. I think we need more, but also some genuine tall defenders too because that’s looking paper thin. I think Dow in particular will be great on the inside for us because he has that burst in speed that we are desperately lacking there
Maybe we can trade for a ready made defender capable of playing Astburys role. I like Balta in Rances old role once we’ve ironed out a couple of deficiencies

Its a refresh. Rance gone gives salary cap room. Houli should retire IMO and that creates more room. Astbury looks like hes done as well so maybe he should be moved on and Nankervis could also be moved on if Chol or CCJ can come in the side and do things. Thats alot of salary cap space. My targets would be Sam Taylor to replace Astbury and Hunter Clark from St Kilda to replace Houli. Tom Green should be a longer term target.

Back