Research Recent Deaths

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Can we get some clarification on his games tally this says 107
i'm thinking he didn't play after this for gel long
Not meaning to slight the esteemed Mr Buggy, but plenty of journos struggle to count to 20, let alone add up 7 numbers to over 100!

Seriously, it may be that he was an unused 19th/20th man at one stage that are generally counted now, but may not have been counted then.

If I may in these trying times, a little light hearted moment in this thread.

ThePope and his contribution to this thread just seems right as players make their final journey.

Then there is killer.

(Maybe it’s my quirky humour.)

Inaugural Docker Quenton Leach has passed away on Monday afternoon after a battle with cancer.
56 games for the Dockers between 1995 and 1998. Also played 61 games for Claremont between 1991 and 1994 and again in 1998 and also played 19 games for Subiaco in 1999.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4th Freo player to pass away, after Dhurrkay, Yarran & Sylvia. 😥
Of the expansion teams, the Bears have had 6 former players die: Schache (2002), Dickson & Green (2009), Clarke (2013), Walsh (2015) & Judge (2016).
Eagles only Mainwaring, Port only McCarthy.
Adelaide only Walsh, no players
GC & GWS none yet

Of the expansion teams, the Bears have had 6 former players die: Schache (2002), Dickson & Green (2009), Clarke (2013), Walsh (2015) & Judge (2016).
GC & GWS none yet
An ex eagle rookie who didn’t play a game Michael Mascoulis passed away in a car accident in 2013

GC & GWS none yet

Of the Brisbane players who have passed away, all seem to have been from the Bears. I can't recall any Brisbane Lions players who have died since the merged club began in 1997.

Of the Brisbane players who have passed away, all seem to have been from the Bears. I can't recall any Brisbane Lions players who have died since the merged club began in 1997.
Brent Green played 2 games in 97 for the Lions. He's the only one post merger.

GC & GWS none yet
Interesting list.

For years I’ve sort of kept tabs on the most recent “year” premiership player to have died.

Darren Millane had that unfortunate distinction until Chris Mainwaring died. The 1994 flag team is the most recent to lose a member.

Whilst it’s a bit morbid, in horse racing the most recent Melbourne Cup winning trainer to die, is the late greatest of them all in Bart Cummings (2008 being his last win).
With jockeys it’s John Marshall (1999 on Rogan Josh).

Last edited:
This thread has been way too busy over the last week or so, with some of those names added rather young. Very sad to see.
Yep, I'm sorry for tempting fate.

I wonder if lazy scholars will look back at this spike (not yet a real spike: 3-7 former players die in most months -see the graph in the 2nd post of this thread. we've had 5 so far this month, but it is only 12 days old) and blame it on covid-19.

Michael Bowden (RFC 1969 Premiership player) has died, from Motor Neurone Disease.
He was 73. 59 games for Richmond between 1967 and 1971. Also played 33 games for VFA side Camberwell in 1975 and 1976. Father of Sean, Joel, Patrick, Rhett and Kane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back