Research Recent Deaths

Remove this Banner Ad

Roy Eliason (NMFC, 5 games 1948-49) died 11 Sept 2019 in Kialla, Shepperton according to Ryerson. If anyone has a pressreader account, the death notice is in the Shepperton News 17 Sep.

Neville Way (St Kilda & Norwood) also appears to have died on 13 June 2018, but only via cemetery records, no obit or notices found.

Last edited:
Odd that nobodys picked up on Neville Way departure
Was quite a footy player in the day

???

Last edited:
Odd that nobodys picked up on Neville Way departure
Was quite a footy player in the day
I guess the move back to WA took him out of sight for St Kilda and Norwood. I messaged Patrick Keane (big Norwood fan) today on Twitter, he's going to follow up. Next time I'm at the state library I'll check the microfiche copies of The West. They don't seem to keep all available online.

I guess the move back to WA took him out of sight for St Kilda and Norwood. I messaged Patrick Keane (big Norwood fan) today on Twitter, he's going to follow up. Next time I'm at the state library I'll check the microfiche copies of The West. They don't seem to keep all available online.
You may not find anything

This archive site no reference for June 2018

off an auto repair site:
"I am very happy to recommend Jerry. He is always punctual and very respectful. As a 92 year old man living independently and with no family available to assist me, it has been wonderful to know that Jerry will come to my home to service my old car. Besides it costing less, I don't have to rely on finding someone to take me home and then go with me to pick up my car when it is ready. I often had to use a taxi in the past. I trust Jerry not to rip me off. He always does such a great job, I can confidently continue to drive knowing everything is working well in my car.
Dr Neville Way FRCS- Salter Point - 2016 "

Last edited:
off an auto repair site:
"I am very happy to recommend Jerry. He is always punctual and very respectful. As a 92 year old man living independently and with no family available to assist me, it has been wonderful to know that Jerry will come to my home to service my old car. Besides it costing less, I don't have to rely on finding someone to take me home and then go with me to pick up my car when it is ready. I often had to use a taxi in the past. I trust Jerry not to rip me off. He always does such a great job, I can confidently continue to drive knowing everything is working well in my car.
Dr Neville Way FRCS- Salter Point - 2016 "

That's an innovative research site! No family means no-one to leave a death notice, it seems. The Salter Point matches the cemetery records, and the Dr matches the footballer's post footy career. Think this one can be marked as confirmed and forwarded to the AFL.

Margaret Helen passed away 2014
From http://www.wamarriage.info/ her maiden name was Thompson and they married in 1955.
Daughter most likely named Belinda from https://www.westannouncements.com.au/browse/obituaries/view/way-margaret-3
The surname definitely doesn't help with making google searches easy!

Whilst he was a footballer mainly interstate, he was the chairman of the West Australian Turf Club from 1987-1990 according to that doctor list's bio. Surprising that they didn't do a death notice.

John Williams, a utility player in the Ken Hands-coached Carlton teams of the late 1950s and early ’60s, has died at the age of 79.

Recruited to the club from neighbouring Princes Hill having earlier chased the leather for Brunswick YCW, Williams furthered his football through Carlton’s Under 19s and reserves, and turned out at senior level for the first of 25 matches in total wearing the No.31 later made famous by Ron Barassi.

John Leonard Williams was the 724th man to represent the Carlton Football Club at senior level since the foundation season of the VFL in 1897.

He died on October 9 after a short illness. He is survived by his wife Lynette, son Mark, daughters Megan and Linda, daughter-in-law Michelle, son-in-law Stephen Gumley (a former Carlton reserve grade player) and six grandchildren.

https://australianfootball.com/players/player/john+williams/8994 || https://www.wikiwand.com/en/John_Williams_(Australian_footballer,_born_1940)

Wikipedia and The Encyclopedia have him as John A. Williams (John Anthony Williams on Blueseum), but that may not be correct.

MELBOURNE Life Member Tony Bull has passed away following a battle with illness, aged 89.

Bull, who played 31 senior games in the red and blue, was a valuable contributor to the club in a variety of roles over a 28-year period.

Recruited from South Bendigo, Bull played for the Dees from 1953 to 1957, and won a seconds premiership in 1956.

1574741829872.png

1574741896564.png

1574742107667.png

In 1976, his younger brother Jim was recruited by Collingwood, and went on to play 7 games and boot 5 goals in his single season in black and white. His son, Terry M. Board, was recruited by Fitzroy in 1988. In an interrupted four-year stay with the Lions, Terry jnr. managed 15 senior games and kicked just the one major.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 1976, his younger brother Jim was recruited by Collingwood, and went on to play 7 games and boot 5 goals in his single season in black and white.
Anyone find any other reference to Terry and Jim being brothers? Both from South Warrnambool, but Jim is not mentioned in the death notice and there is an 11 year age gap.
"Loved and generous brother and brother-in-law of Charles & Dianne, Lewis & Margaret, Jeremy & Julie and Nick (dec.)"

. His son, Terry M. Board, was recruited by Fitzroy in 1988. In an interrupted four-year stay with the Lions, Terry jnr. managed 15 senior games and kicked just the one major.
Terry Jr made it onto Collingwoods list only to be delisted in a mid-season purge

Anyone find any other reference to Terry and Jim being brothers? Both from South Warrnambool, but Jim is not mentioned in the death notice and there is an 11 year age gap.
"Loved and generous brother and brother-in-law of Charles & Dianne, Lewis & Margaret, Jeremy & Julie and Nick (dec.)"
There probably has to be a bit of doubt about that. As this suggests, at one stage it had been believed (by that same source) that Jim was the son of Terry (which obviously didn't add up):
1574808133928.png
Further investigation needed!

Last edited:
Nick, the younger brother of Terry snr. died earlier this year, and there's no mention of a Jim/James in this family death notice: https://tributes.standard.net.au/ob...nicholas-vernon-board&pid=191851744&fhid=8226

BOARD Nicholas Vernon ‘Nicky' Passed away peacefully at Warrnambool after a short illness, on Saturday March 16, 2019.
Aged 58 years
Dearly loved son of Vernon and Reda (both dec.).
Beloved brother of Charles, Terry, Lew and Jeremy.
Loved brother-in-law of Dianne, Margaret, Julie and friend of Shirley, Deb and their families.
==========================================================
However, there is this message (seemingly from brother Jeremy):
1574823024245.png

Nick, the younger brother of Terry snr. died earlier this year, and there's no mention of a Jim/James in this family death notice: https://tributes.standard.net.au/ob...nicholas-vernon-board&pid=191851744&fhid=8226

BOARD Nicholas Vernon ‘Nicky' Passed away peacefully at Warrnambool after a short illness, on Saturday March 16, 2019.
Aged 58 years
Dearly loved son of Vernon and Reda (both dec.).
Beloved brother of Charles, Terry, Lew and Jeremy.
Loved brother-in-law of Dianne, Margaret, Julie and friend of Shirley, Deb and their families.
==========================================================
However, there is this message (seemingly from brother Jeremy):
View attachment 785404
Is the suggestion that Jim is short for Jeremy?

If they list the brothers in age order, the 2019-58=1961, so Jim/Jeremy in 1956 fits.
Mum Reda appears to have been born in 1918, married in 42, so had Charles, then Terry (1945 aged 27), Lew, Jeremy/Jim (1956, aged 38) and Nick (1961, aged 43). All fit.

Wiki is reporting Doug Cox (StKilda) died on Nov 29, 2019.
There was a relative who contacted me as well, but I'm waiting for an online obituary as well.

Glen Rosser Norwood player and Administrator 68

Games: 182 Goals: 142
Premierships: 1975, 1978
Further honours: Norwood Player Life Member, NFL Champions of Australia Night Competition 1977
Norwood service: Reserves coach 1982-part 1986, League assistant coach 1982-88, match committee and selector 1981-88, technical and development officer 1991-92, general manager 1993-99
Other service: SANFL football operations manager 1999 - 2006, SANFL general manager State League competition 2007

"">

Doug Cox (StKilda,West Torrens, Ess) death notice

Paddy Guinane has passed away. Today (9.12).

He was 80.

Richmond premiership player 1967.

Some may not know, but Paddy was a great racing man, very passionate about the races.

He was a regular patron going pretty much every week I reckon.

I have seen him week on week at the Melbourne race tracks. Will be missed.

His regular table at Caulfield (just in front of my group’s table) will not be true same.

Vale Paddy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back