Research Recent Deaths

Remove this Banner Ad

This certainly isn't a recent death, but one from years ago that was missed: Kevin Flint
1669249728673.png
The AFL chaps have accepted that this is the ex-Collingwood player, and their records (and those of Collingwood FC) have now been updated: Name Search
1669249994695.png
There's lots of trees on Ancestry that have him dying in WA (in 2011). They are aware of his Collingwood connection, so I don't think there's any doubt it's the right person:
1669250292286.png
Oliver Gigacz

Is Des Bell the current oldest living ex VFL/AFL player?

This is what the 2022 AFL Season Guide has:
View attachment 1559697
Without checking I'm not sure if the "status" of any of those chaps has changed. Assuming Des is meant to still be among us I don't know why he wasn't included on that list:
View attachment 1559698
I looked up a few of the names listed above last night and if Wikipedia is accurate then Alex Mathieson passed away this year.

A couple other names here seem to have died a while ago but as long as we’re still talking about them they’ll never be forgotten at least.
AF8DEF74-E25D-493E-AA4F-8EC0D76BB2DC.jpeg
1C9A5DC3-839F-4AC9-8BE0-FA1D1998E146.jpeg

There's no doubt about Alex Mathieson:
I think they need to make a few adjustments to that list, and it does look as if some of them have been missed!

Is Des Bell the current oldest living ex VFL/AFL player?

This is what the 2022 AFL Season Guide has:
View attachment 1559697
Without checking I'm not sure if the "status" of any of those chaps has changed. Assuming Des is meant to still be among us I don't know why he wasn't included on that list:
View attachment 1559698

Jim Miller (Footscray) is currently the oldest living player and he proudly wears it. He just celebrated his 75th anniversary of being made a life member at the club.

I seem to recall another list being posted earlier this year which was more up-to-date, I remember because another Bulldog in Angus Abbey is now in the top 5/10 oldest living players.

Jim Miller (Footscray) is currently the oldest living player and he proudly wears it. He just celebrated his 75th anniversary of being made a life member at the club.

I seem to recall another list being posted earlier this year which was more up-to-date, I remember because another Bulldog in Angus Abbey is now in the top 5/10 oldest living players.
Just looked them up and I find those two incredible because I’ve found that most people who live to that age generally played less than 20 games. I could be wrong but it’s just the feeling I get.

Just looked them up and I find those two incredible because I’ve found that most people who live to that age generally played less than 20 games. I could be wrong but it’s just the feeling I get.

Yeah these 2 are outliers.

Newton Chandler likewise.

"The grand old man of Carlton" lived until he was 103 years old.

He played 69 games for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Former Fitzroy great Tony Ongarello (131 games) died recently. There are death notices appearing in today's Herald-Sun who are quoting him as dying on July 18. His Wikipedia page however states July 16.

Wikipedia now also stating July 18 as his death date.

On the Geelong Cats FB page former player and coach John Devine passed away this morning (Jan 29th) at age 82. Born 1940, same year as my father. Maligned as a coach in the mid 80's, perhaps his style didn't quite get the best out of the group. But the talent assembled in his three years bloomed brightly in the Blight era.

On the Geelong Cats FB page former player and coach John Devine passed away this morning (Jan 29th) at age 82. Born 1940, same year as my father. Maligned as a coach in the mid 80's, perhaps his style didn't quite get the best out of the group. But the talent assembled in his three years bloomed brightly in the Blight era.
After he left Geelong in the 60s, he became involved in Tasmanian football and had an enormous impact on the game there.

He was inducted into the Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame in the "legend" category in 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back