Research Recent Deaths

Remove this Banner Ad

Former Collingwood player George Hams died recently:
1675654027883.png

1675654100611.png
As well as being a (1953) Premiership player, George did very well in his working life as an engineer, being named in the 1990 Queen's Birthday honours list.

Here's the 2022 Obituaries list (from AFL Record Season Guide 2023):
View attachment 1609002
Thanks for this. Can you please provide the page number and ISBN so that I can use it as a Wikipedia reference?
John Brady, Keith Carroll, Geoff Howells, Jock Lineen, Bruce Peake, Lionel Ryan, Otto Sonnleitner and George Spero weren't known to Wikipedia. Some of them, and some others, aren't in Aust Football.

Thanks for this. Can you please provide the page number and ISBN so that I can use it as a Wikipedia reference?
John Brady, Keith Carroll, Geoff Howells, Jock Lineen, Bruce Peake, Lionel Ryan, Otto Sonnleitner and George Spero weren't known to Wikipedia. Some of them, and some others, aren't in Aust Football.
1676817274443.png
Page 1196.

Jack Sheedy has passed away. Played 6 games with South Melbourne in 1944 to go with his 332 WANFL games. He also coached East Perth and was the coach of WA in the 1961 Brisbane carnival.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

?
I thought the coach of the WA in 61 was HBJ

Yes you are correct !
great player for EF
Bunton was captain of the State team and in his first season of coaching Swan Districts. The story goes before the game against Victoria Bunton asked Sheedy which end of the gournd he wanted the team to kick to in the first quarter. Jack told him an Bunton said "No worries Jack, leave it with me". At the coin toss, Bunton pointed to the preferred end before the coin hit the ground, then ran off to rejoin the rest of the team. The umpire and Victorian captain had no idea what to do and in the ned had to go along with it and start the game.

Sadly, this looks likely to be another ex-player who has died: RODGERS, Terry Keith | Death Notices | Melbourne | My Tributes
1677250452562.png
1677250583032.png
Thanks to our "Wiki updater" for adding a DOD to the above page. His passing is mentioned here: Essendonfcpastplayers

Last edited:
Another South Melbourne player Allan Hotchkin has passed away:

webicon_green.png

Last edited:
Looks like Duncan Wright has died. Keep an eye out for official obit.
May 1 2023 he died

Given that Pete Dickson (the tweeter) was the brother of former Hawthorn and Brisbane player Rob Dickson (who was probably even better known for his off-field work), that means Duncan Wright was the uncle of the footballer.

Given that Pete Dickson (the tweeter) was the brother of former Hawthorn and Brisbane player Rob Dickson (who was probably even better known for his off-field work), that means Duncan Wright was the uncle of the footballer.

Ping Oliver Gigacz.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back