Recent superstars, current numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
In every club we have players taking the numbers of club champions which they have every right to do.

My question is, going back to circa 2000 which current players with champion numbers from your club or any other do you think are most, or even anything like the former champs who wore the numbers?

For St Kilda

Jack Steven (3) would probably be the most apt comparison, tough and hard like Nathan Burke but not necessarily the best player.

Maverick Weller (44) being antagonising at times would probably be the only other player comparable to a past champion at my club.

So how about it?

Do Dogs fans see anything of Grant, Johnson and West in Wallis, Dalhaus and Hunter?

Can North fans find any comparison with Carey and Atley or Archer and McDonald?

Swans fans with Kelly and Mills ?

etc

Roughead (2) is a modern day Nick Holland.
Gunston (19) plays a similar role to Ben Dixon.
Stratton (24) follows Trent Croad, Chris Langford and Peter Knights as a dynamic CHB.

Any comparison in your eyes in the way that they play compared to the great man?

Absolutely. McDonald as a youngster already has a highlight reel consisting of going back with the flighty and Ziebell is renowned for his hardness. I think that number represents that value rather than Archer's position or skillset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not 'champion' standard, but I see a lot of similarities between Charlie Curnow and Jarrad Waite.

Athletic CHF/HFF types. Big leap, sticky hands, but more agile than KPD opponents.

Fingers crossed this #30 has less injuries and suspensions. Although that wouldn't be hard.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give it a spell. It's just a means of distinguishing similar-looking players from a distance - some people really put too much emphasis on jumper numbers

A couple of years ago, I think Carlton put a lot of thought into it.

Weitering got Henderson's #23
Curnow got Waite's #30 (see above)

The club made a bit of a song and dance about the number reveals. With some interesting 'labels'.

Weitering23Graphic.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was a dig at Henderson 'bailing' on the club.

Curnow30Graphic.jpg

Pretty sure this was a dig at Waite who apparently was a poor trainer and was perceived by fans to pick and choose when he put in effort on the field.

Jack Silvagni in #1 reminds me of a previous #1.

I came back to this thread to post this. Obviously genes play a big part, and they seem to have very similar body shapes.

But beyond that, some of the likeness is uncanny.

They have the same ungainly gait. Jack also does the 'fall away chest mark' that almost tricks you into thinking you are watching SOS. Spooky stuff.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back