Recession is on the way - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite that regulation however, Euro banks ended up being more leveraged than US banks. They cant fix that any time soon and they hold a heap of Euro govt bonds. Vicious circle. If countries default they take the banks with them.
The problem in Europe and the US was similar IMO. Both had worse controls around the analysis of investment risk and higher leverage than in Australia (our regulations are more in line with Basel III, they've just implemented Basel II). Further, they both invested in s**t assets, mortgages for the US and European countries for Europe. The assets of our banks are higher quality and have higher LVRs.

A lot of smart heads said a while ago China would implode. It may be sooner rather than later. Once they go Australia will suffer. Cash is already fleeing ie AUD plummeting.

China won't implode in the medium term, IMO. What will impact us is two things. First of all, the economy will slow to more normal levels. Secondly, the economy will transition from one of infrastructure building to one of consumption and social welfare. Both of these factors will reduce the demand for our big commodities (coal and iron ore). However, nickel, silver, gold, REE, etc will all have demand increase through this change. So, while it isn't good, it isn't all bad.

In the long term, the younger Chinese will get more and more used to their increased freedoms and start to take them for granted. Then, there will be push for regime change and democracy. How China handles this will determine whether or not they implode in civil war (ie, Syria with everybody sitting on the sidelines debating who to help and how) or are able to remain one of the fastest growing countries in the world.

China still has a long way to grow. They have plenty of natural resources and untapped people power. Their GDP per capita is on par with Albania, but they have a lot more potential than Albania!

The problem in Europe and the US was similar IMO.

US banks were actually a bit less leverage but more importantly were smaller in size as a % of gdp. Take the relevance of Citigroup to GDP compared with say UBS or RBS, massive difference.

China won't implode in the medium term, IMO.

Some analysts already allege its growing at 4% now. Their stats are nonsense. It's hard to know.

US banks were actually a bit less leverage but more importantly were smaller in size as a % of gdp. Take the relevance of Citigroup to GDP compared with say UBS or RBS, massive difference.
Good point, Europe had too many big banks as they were often previously state owned banks that were allowed to buy too many smaller banks. Though, most of the US banks were also "too big to fail".

Some analysts already allege its growing at 4% now. Their stats are nonsense. It's hard to know.

Since when is growth of 4% an implosion??

Not really. IR is very (extremely) regulated in Europe, hence massive youth unemployment, banking is still far more regulated as well (just opening on a Saturday in some countries is very hard, even in somewhere like Gemany). The Poms are probably the most deregulated but they still keep things like restricted Sunday shopping hours.

Despite that regulation however, Euro banks ended up being more leveraged than US banks. They cant fix that any time soon and they hold a heap of Euro govt bonds. Vicious circle. If countries default they take the banks with them.

So you are conflating industrial relations (workplace regulations) and banking regulations?

What the *.

More mass job lay off's in the mining sector.

GLENCORE will cut 450 jobs from its Oakey Creek and Newlands coal mines in central Queensland as it slashes production in the wake of falling prices and demand.

The jobs are expected to be shed by the end of the this year and follow a decision by Peabody to cut a similar number from its Australian coal mining projects.
Downer EDI also cut 185 jobs from Goonyealla and several other mines and infrastructure projects have been stalled or abandoned, mostly because of the slowdown in China and the glut of alternative energy coming out of the American gas glut.
Glencore, which recently merged its global operations with Xstrata, said a decision to continue production at the Oaky North mine with only one longwall in operation will result in a reduction of about 150 employees, pending finalisation of the changes.
"At Newlands, a cut back in production at both the underground and open cut operations will result in a reduction of approximately 300 employees,'' the company said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...bs-in-queensland/story-e6frg6n6-1226670764048

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but according to that, an ALP government was able to give Australia record low interest rates and avoid a recession during the entire post-GFC period?

I thought we were an economic basket case though rite?

The ALP stimulus package in China is underated.

I don't think we'll go into recession but with the recent announcements and another one today the large number of lay off's occurring from big businesses will start having a knock on effect which will see our unemployment figure start to rise over the coming months.

HEAVY machinery dealer WesTrac is cutting 350 jobs as part of a restructure in response to weaker demand from the resources industry.

The company provides Caterpillar machinery such as bulldozers and trucks to miners and builders.
It is a division of Seven Group Holdings, which is chaired by Kerry Stokes.
WesTrac has announced plans to restructure its NSW and ACT operations because of "challenging market conditions".
"It is anticipated that the restructure will result in approximately 350 redundancies across WesTrac's NSW/ACT business which will be implemented in the next month at an approximate cost of $10 million," the company said in a statement.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...ac-cuts-350-jobs/story-e6frg90f-1226671405387

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was rudds only major infrastructure project for nsw the hunter expressway and rail improvements to the ncle port a mistake ,we now have the situation where coal expansion projects are being put on hold ,the 4th coal loader is on hold ,contractors and heavy machinery operators are losing jobs . the lack of transport infrastructure for the public is hurting labor badly in nsw ,julia's big announcement of a sydney railine has been completely forgotten about

Big day today, China has just had a "credit freeze event"

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-19/china-interbank-market-freezes-overnight-repo-explodes-25

It used to be said that when the US caught a cold the rest of the world caught a fever, but now I think when china catches a cold Australia catches Pneumonia.

Stock market down 2% (Materials down nearly 4%
Dollar down to 91C
Gold and other commodities down heaps.

GFC 2 is on the way.:(
Holy s**t! Lulz lulz luz.

has some good stuff on foreign affairs to ie Russia, Syria. Collects articles from all over the web some blogs some msm. It posts hedge fund research on there that non clients cant get, which is why I first started looking at it.

was rudds only major infrastructure project for nsw the hunter expressway and rail improvements to the ncle port a mistake ,we now have the situation where coal expansion projects are being put on hold ,the 4th coal loader is on hold ,contractors and heavy machinery operators are losing jobs . the lack of transport infrastructure for the public is hurting labor badly in nsw ,julia's big announcement of a sydney railine has been completely forgotten about

You need to make your mind up if you are blaming labor or lib, state or federal

So 4 years after the op predictions we're still yet to see the sky fall ......Marvelous

Must work in treasury

I just want to make it 100% clear ... I am not the OP. .... would prefer the mods to release me from the burden..... Its not my thread. LOL.

I just want to make it 100% clear ... I am not the OP. .... would prefer the mods to release me from the burden..... Its not my thread. LOL.
Has meds fingerprints all over it

Apparently without govt spending it would've been a negative quarter. I guess it all depends on how people react to China's reaction. I think we will avoid it, if only because the govt will be so desperate to not have that mark on their record.

I still see fast internet as a great way to give our economy new avenues for business creation. But of course we have to have it early or the waters will have been well fished by the time we arrive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back