Recession is on the way - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like its on its way,,,,

but not all beer and skittles

we have a serious issue with productivity which is a real concern for the nation

dare I say it, no govt will deal with it as it is a political hot potato as howard found out

Highest Government spending in ten years, highest unemployment figures in ten years, lowest job growth in ten years, biggest debt levels in ten years.

Lucky we've got the "economic managers" in power :rolleyes:

Highest Government spending in ten years, highest unemployment figures in ten years, lowest job growth in ten years, biggest debt levels in ten years.

Lucky we've got the "economic managers" in power :rolleyes:

wait for the unemployment figures when we try and pay down the debt

oh dear, there will be some tears

Brazil, Canada and Russia all in recession. All commodity reliant economies.

I think we will avoid it, if only because the govt will be so desperate to not have that mark on their record.

Humour, write cheques to dead people, that will fix it.

Yep we are now paying the price for obscene levels of spending when commodity prices were at boom levels. Economic management indeed.

bloomberg-commodity-index.png

Last edited:
How is any of that relevant? Yes sure the last govt was utterly useless and this one has spent far too much, however, that means bugger all in terms of the impact on Australia with respect to falling commodity prices.

Has Shorten come out lately and supported spending significant cuts or did I miss that?

How is any of that relevant? Yes sure the last govt was utterly useless and this one has spent far too much, however, that means bugger all in terms of the impact on Australia with respect to falling commodity prices.

Has Shorten come out lately and supported spending significant cuts or did I miss that?
What impact did;
write cheques to dead people
Have on people?...

And hasn't Ratts of Tobruk explained it to you multiple times?

but not all beer and skittles

we have a serious issue with productivity which is a real concern for the nation

dare I say it, no govt will deal with it as it is a political hot potato as howard found out
Sometimes I wonder whether increased productivity just means flogging the poor worker a little harder!

Sometimes I wonder whether increased productivity just means flogging the poor worker a little harder!

It certainly shouldn't. I would love to see the 35 hour working week enshrined here and as a global standard.

We should look to address our productivity but our bigger issue socially is participation. We have way too many locked out of employment.

If you look at the 7/11 story that seems right, although technology is the main pusher of productivity so it depends on the area you're working in. Generally jobs should get easier with technology helping out, but of course it allows one worker to do more and consequently the benefits are a lower requirement for staff and therefore greater profits for management. In Australia we've been pretty good at bumping the minimum wage along so the personal requirements for productivity have probably been upped by management to balance that out. Enterprise agreements certainly focus of productivity for pay. But if your job isn't helped by technology, then your right they may just get flogged, especially if your in the vulnerable position of being on a Visa.

It certainly shouldn't. I would love to see the 35 hour working week enshrined here and as a global standard.

We should look to address our productivity but our bigger issue socially is participation. We have way too many locked out of employment.

I heard somewhere that even with all the new technology we have, productivity hasn't risen and historically the change in technologies has predated the lift in productivity from that new tech by 20 years.

The managers are set in their ways and don't understand the new technology, then they shuffle off and new wave come in.

I heard somewhere that even with all the new technology we have, productivity hasn't risen and historically the change in technologies has predated the lift in productivity from that new tech by 20 years.

The managers are set in their ways and don't understand the new technology, then they shuffle off and new wave come in.
I was surprised to find paper and pen still being used in a large company I was at, although it was for things that would be checked by audit, so perhaps they were doing that deliberately to give more plausible deniability and make it harder for auditors. Less explainable is that the technology brought in to increase productivity, such as coding, wasn't understood by many people so when it stuffed up, fixing it was an expensive exercise that they often didn't do. There's a chance that people who understood it had been promoted, but they were so busy due to staff cuts, the chances of getting them to come back and fix it were limited. The amount of productivity lost must be immense when you look at the 25% churn rate of staff in some industries.

This is the concern with productivity. Technology has improved it no end as you see the impact of computers kick in. Flat-lining under Howard and then dropping away from 07/08 onwards. I wonder how much is Youtube/Facebook/etc related? A lot more people have more to maintain outside of work...

australian-multifactor-productivity.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes paper and pen is easier than electronic is some cases.

In board meetings, I would always work from hard copies and note questions and answers. These papers are then scanned and kept electronically in a database.

Last edited:
In board meetings, I would always work from hard copies and note questions and answers.
Were you a secretary, EA, or hiding behind the pot plant?

But back in the real world, I think 35 hours a week is a great start. Think of all the spare time you will have to find a job, if you only spend 35 hours on BF.

Last edited:
wait for the unemployment figures when we try and pay down the debt

oh dear, there will be some tears
Will be hard from 2017 onwards - manufacturing shutdowns kick in, flow on effects... one analysis estimated 200k jobs in total for the new government (post next Fed election) to deal with.
Headache time - not many signs of a new-world led recovery for bulk commodities either, we could be in for some serious pain.

Some trials in the US have focused on a 36 hour, 4 day week. I'd love that

When you consider the amount of goodwill, and political capital enjoyed by the PM when he entered office; to have pissed it all against the wall inside two years is remarkable.

he has to go

Some trials in the US have focused on a 36 hour, 4 day week. I'd love that

In all our companies we have a rule of manage your own time and only come to work if you need to work and don't come just to do time. They can work from home whenever they want on the condition they have the phone nearby.

If anyone needs time out for any reason......health, feeling blue, feeling tired, a sunny day or simply something better to do; then take the day off (not docked and not leave). It does get used but it doesn't get abused.

The result is a work force that takes responsibility for itself, lower staff turn over and greater productivity.

In a thread about Recession, only the conservative poster would say the following about GDP:

lol. Your graphs were utterly irrelevant to the issue of falling commodity prices. The usual cheerleading fanbois on here cant quite comprehend that commodity prices are now back to 2002 levels and the effect that will have on Australia (given our % share of exports to China are greater IIRC than any other large economy).

Its a far cry from the terms of trade that the ALP enjoyed (and utterly wasted)

I note that you didn't respond re per capita GDP and the recession in Australia. What a surprise.

But back in the real world, I think 35 hours a week is a great start.

France. Not a raging success.

Were you a secretary, EA, or hiding behind the pot plant?

But back in the real world, I think 35 hours a week is a great start. Think of all the spare time you will have to find a job, if you only spend 35 hours on BF.

I doubt I would cut it as an EA or secretary with my spelling. Not much cop at hide and seek either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back