Recipe of the week - Beef in Guinness pie

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a good recipe when your footy team is on TV during Sunday afternoon. Do all your prep work an hour before the footy, let it cook during the afternoon, and you can finish it after the game.

What you need.

Guinness - 400ml or so will do.
Chuck steak or gravy beef - allow about 400g per pie
2 onions
2 carrots
2 cloves of garlic
a few sprigs of parsley or a stem of celery
olive oil
salt
pepper
Pampas puff pastry
Casserole pot (or if you've got one, a cast iron pot - which is what I like to use)
Pie dish - I like to use the individual ones rather than the family sized pie dishes.

Chop up your onions, carrots, garlic, and (if using) celery. Heat up (high heat) a casserole pot and brown the meat in some olive oil. Now, I like to keep the meat as one big slab, but you can chop it up into 2 cm cubes if you like. Take out the meat and set aside. Turn the heat down, put in another tablespoon or two of olive oil, and put in the chopped onions. Let them brown for about 10 minutes, then with a wooden spoon, scrape up all the brown and burnt stuff off the bottom), add in the carrots, garlic, parsley/celery, meat, and Guinness. Turn the heat up until you see the liquid start to boil, then turn it down to a gentle simmer. Put the lid on (with a small gap), and let it simmer during the footy.

After the game is over, get the meat out, chop it into bite size pieces, and set it aside. Strain the liquid into another pot, throw away the solids, and then boil the liquid until you get rid of at least half of it. Put the meat into your pie dishes, put in the liquid, and cover it with your puff pastry. Stick it into the oven for around 20 minutes at 180 degrees, remove and serve (with beer).

Variations: Add some finely diced vegetables into the pie dish. Or you could make some mash, put that at the bottom of the pie dish, and then add the meat and gravy. Another thing you can do is to beat an egg and brush it onto the pastry for a nice glazed look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back