Recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the Constitution

Remove this Banner Ad

The draft bill proposed by the Recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples in the Constitution report ( http://www.youmeunity.org.au/final-report ) recommends that the following changes to the Constitution be put to the Australian public in a referendum (chapter 11 of report linked above):

Schedule
Item 1
Repeal section 25 and section 51(xxvi) of the Constitution.

Item 2
Insert after section 51:

Section 51A Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait
Islander peoples
Recognising that the continent and its islands now known as
Australia were first occupied by Aboriginal and Torres Strait
Islander peoples;
Acknowledging the continuing relationship of Aboriginal and
Torres Strait Islander peoples with their traditional lands and waters;
Respecting the continuing cultures, languages and heritage of
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;
Acknowledging the need to secure the advancement of Aboriginal
and Torres Strait Islander Peoples;

the Parliament shall, subject to this Constitution, have power to make
laws for the peace, order and good government of the Commonwealth
with respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

Item 3
Insert after section 116:

Section 116A Prohibition of racial discrimination

(1) The Commonwealth, a State or a Territory shall not discriminate
on the grounds of race, colour or ethnic or national origin.

(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude the making of laws or
measures for the purpose of overcoming disadvantage,
ameliorating the effects of past discrimination, or protecting
the cultures, languages or heritage of any group.

Item 4
Insert as section 127A:

Section 127A Recognition of languages

(1) The national language of the Commonwealth of Australia
is English.

(2) The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages are the original Australian languages, a part of our national heritage.

It is proposed that s51(xxvi) and insertion of s51A be proposed together, given removal of 51(xxvi) would leave a bit of legislation unconstitutional and disable the Commonwealth's ability to take 'special temporary measures' to try to rectify the past effects of discriminatory policy and actions of State and Fed governments.

(original post below, but the original thread does not seem to exist:
I know there was a thread on this, but nothing comes up in search. I'm doing an assignment on it (2500 words critique the proposals and the reasons given by the panel) and I recall the thread had some good points.

http://www.youmeunity.org.au/final-report

I've tried searching for the URL, for Kartinyeri, etc etc.

Little help?)

This bit is interesting in the doc you linked, I was under the impression they were going to have another referendum at some stage.

"The Panel has concluded that any proposal relating to constitutional recognition of the sovereign status of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples would be highly contested by many Australians, and likely to jeopardise broad public support for the Panel’s recommendations. Such a proposal would not therefore satisfy at least two of the Panel’s
principles for assessment of proposals, namely ‘contribute to a more unified and reconciled nation’, and ‘be capable of being supported by an overwhelming majority of Australians from across the political and social spectrums’. While questions relating to sovereignty are likely to
continue to be the subject of debate in the community, including among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, the Panel does not consider that these questions can be resolved or advanced at this time by inclusion in a constitutional referendum proposal."

But on the issue itself.

I'm against the "A" amendments, for the simple reason of I can't understand how the identification and recognition of one race and one race only can be put forward as an exercise in unity.

There's nothing about those "A" amendements that I like.

You want to take race out of the constitution, then fine. But don't replace it with more race.

• Admin
Probably the thread I remembered, it's only talking about the announcement of the process.

I'll turn this thread into a thread covering the report. I'll try to add things as I find them, given I've got a couple of dozen pages of notes on the report (yes, I read the whole thing) and I'm going through commentary, history of the topic of Aboriginals and the constitution and so on in the legal journals.

Note: I'd rather be having a nasty dental operation.

• Admin
This bit is interesting in the doc you linked, I was under the impression they were going to have another referendum at some stage.

"The Panel has concluded that any proposal relating to constitutional recognition of the sovereign status of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples would be highly contested by many Australians, and likely to jeopardise broad public support for the Panel’s recommendations. Such a proposal would not therefore satisfy at least two of the Panel’s
principles for assessment of proposals, namely ‘contribute to a more unified and reconciled nation’, and ‘be capable of being supported by an overwhelming majority of Australians from across the political and social spectrums’. While questions relating to sovereignty are likely to
continue to be the subject of debate in the community, including among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, the Panel does not consider that these questions can be resolved or advanced at this time by inclusion in a constitutional referendum proposal."
That is in relation to sovereignty alone.

The decision was, leave that until next time. The final proposal for a bill is in chapter 11 of the report.

But on the issue itself.

I'm against the "A" amendments, for the simple reason of I can't understand how the identification and recognition of one race and one race only can be put forward as an exercise in unity.

There's nothing about those "A" amendements that I like.

You want to take race out of the constitution, then fine. But don't replace it with more race.

agreed :thumbsu:

how about, we just write a new constitution? One that is modern upto date and gets rid of the queen as a head of state!

I wonder how the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders feel about this? Will their true wishes be swamped beneath the tyranny of the ballot box?

Another irony is the insertion of the words "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander" in a document that doesn't acknowledge Australian citizenship.

I wonder how the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders feel about this? Will their true wishes be swamped beneath the tyranny of the ballot box?

How do the Vietnamese and Chinese feel about not being specifically included in the constiution?

Another irony is the insertion of the words "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander" in a document that doesn't acknowledge Australian citizenship.

Easy answer. Don't insert the words "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander" into the constitution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do the Vietnamese and Chinese feel about not being specifically included in the constiution?

I don't think they care in the slightest. It's not as if we have any serious national identity anyway. They're all here to partake in the corporate gangbang, like every body else. Auistralia is a business opportunity, nothing more.

Easy answer. Don't insert the words "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander" into the constitution.

That's for the "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders" to decide, not you.

I don't think they care in the slightest. It's not as if we have any serious national identity anyway. They're all here to partake in the corporate gangbang, like every body else. Auistralia is a business opportunity, nothing more.

That's for the "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders" to decide, not you.

You do realise Chinese have been in Australia since the 1850s for the gold rush?

No it's not. It's for all Australians to decide.

No, it really isn't.

You can't force a sovereign people in to constitutional bondage on a racial premise.

A sovereign people? How so?

Sovereign by their birth right and their lack of consensual inclusion in the Australian Constitution Act.

Sovereign by their birth right and their lack of consensual inclusion in the Australian Constitution Act.

I would love to have a right of consensual inclusion with the Income Tax Assessment Act. Not sure, however, that I have that as a birth right. I think I should consult a first year Arts lecturer to obtain their opinion.

I would love to have a right of consensual inclusion with the Income Tax Assessment Act. Not sure, however, that I have that as a birth right.

Are you a consensual Australian citizen?

If so, you consent and pay.

I think I should consult a first year Arts lecturer to obtain their opinion.

I think this would be a vast improvement on your current position.

cancat;23964427[B said:
]How do the Vietnamese and Chinese feel about not being specifically included in the constiution?[/B]

Who cares, they chose to come to this land.

The Aboriginal and Torres people are the ORIGINAL inhabitants of this land. Huge difference, and insulting to even think it isnt imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back