Recommend an Album

Remove this Banner Ad

GG.exe

Post-Human
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I remember a friend once asking me to listen to a Uriah Heep album about 30 years ago. I listened to one song, didnt like it, and never thought about it ever again.

Was doing a bit of a journey thru rock history, reading up on bands etc, got to reading about Uriah Heep, and their original frontman David Byron, and how unfortunately he was a forgotten man of rock, one of the greatest singers ever, who never got his due, etc etc.

So i downloaded their entire discography and gonna give it a listen. I am sure there is gonna be an album i fall in love with and proclaim better than anything Led Zeppelin ever released.....but all i know so far is the album SALISBURY, and what a beast of a song High Priestess is.

If i was an influential muso, I would so do a cover of that song right now and try to make Uriah Heep popular again.

Check out High Priestess from inside the playlist ....

CliffMcTainshaw

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
In 1973 I was going into JB HiFi's first store in Bourke St. At the same time I met a good friend who I hadn't seen for some time. After a bit of a chat he recommended an album and I recommended an album to him. We both had a listen to the albums and purchased them.
I was really glad I met him because I brought one of my all time favourite albums. "Brothers and Sisters" by the Allman Brothers. Gregg Allman and Dicky Betts on guitars and Chuck Leavell on piano, just magic to the ears. I haven't stopped listening to it since then, but I did buy the CD. My friend got the album I recommended, "Dark Side Of The Moon". I haven't seen Bruce for a very long time now, but I won't forget our very fortunate meeting.
If you haven't heard "Brothers and Sisters" before, you should have a listen, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
I remember a friend once asking me to listen to a Uriah Heep album about 30 years ago. I listened to one song, didnt like it, and never thought about it ever again.

Was doing a bit of a journey thru rock history, reading up on bands etc, got to reading about Uriah Heep, and their original frontman David Byron, and how unfortunately he was a forgotten man of rock, one of the greatest singers ever, who never got his due, etc etc.

So i downloaded their entire discography and gonna give it a listen. I am sure there is gonna be an album i fall in love with and proclaim better than anything Led Zeppelin ever released.....but all i know so far is the album SALISBURY, and what a beast of a song High Priestess is.

If i was an influential muso, I would so do a cover of that song right now and try to make Uriah Heep popular again.

Check out High Priestess from inside the playlist ....

'Innocent Victim' is my favorite Uriah Heep Album, start with that one you wont be disappointed.

CliffMcTainshaw

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
My sister gave me this album and I immediately fell in love with it. Every track is a standout. Rickie Lee is not only a wonderful singer, she is a great song writer as well. Her lyrics paint pictures in your mind. Listen to "Last Chance Texaco", you will think you know what she's singing about only to discover a little while later it's a completely different subject. "Easy Money". What a simple, great story.
She was in a relationship with Tom Waits for quite a while. Waits has said, "I was a bit scared of her because she was so wild and such a good lyricist". Sounds like they would have been a good match for each other.
She also wrote Daryl Braithwaite's song "The Horses".
A wonderful album with wonderful lyrics and a really musical album with a slighty jazzy feel. Her very first album and simply amazing. i've bought all her albums since, but this one really stands out.

Last Chance Texaco

Last edited:

GG.exe

Post-Human
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
My mind is blown at how much I love Uriah Heep so far.

Still slow going thru all their albums as I like to listen to an album on repeat for a hundred times before moving on to the next.

I initially did a quick go thru the David Byron albums, and a few John Lawton albums, but haven't ventured further than that. Decided to go back and do an album at a time x100 repeat.

But when I did that quick go thru, my initial reaction was they had a very unique brilliance early on, a fusion of funk, metal, 60s, soul, etc, that just sounds so fresh and different from all of their contemporary UK bands like Sabbath, Zep, Deep Purple, Slade, T-Rex, etc. The first four or five Byron albums were the epitome of that unique defining sound. Then they started to gradually lose sight of that, becoming more straight up metal/rock, where an album has maybe 1-3 songs on it that stand out. Whereas their first four or five Byron albums were all killer tracks with that special defining sound.

So, their second album Look At Yourself (1971)....yep, you guessed it....was only a matter of time....better than anything Led Zeppelin ever released.

This deluxe edition too, because it has some extra outtake songs that are also brilliant.

"Look At Yourself" -- 00:00
"I Wanna Be Free" -- 05:08
"July Morning" -- 09:10
"Tears In My Eyes" -- 19:42
"Shadows Of Grief" -- 24:44
"What Should Be Done" -- 33:24
"Love Machine" -- 37:39
"What's Within My Heart (out-take from 'Look At Yourself' sessions)" -- 41:17
"Why ('Look At Yourself' out-take)" -- 46:45
"Look At Yourself (alternative single version)" -- 58:03
"Tears In My Eyes (extended version previously unreleased)" -- 1:01:23
"What Should Be Done (out-take, original studio version)" -- 1:07:00