Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Jackson C. Frank - Jackson C. Frank

For fans of Nick Drake I guess. This guy only released one album, self titled. Released in the 60's and sold poorly. He had a pretty terrible life and died alone and broke. There have been some demos and other recordings released since his death but this remains his only actual album.

for the record, here's a magnificent album, and one that takes me back to some of my darkest days on planet earth.
especially the opening track, just buckles me at my heart and soul, the memories flooding back, was the anthem for my time.

South Park nailed it.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
hmm interesting selection man, I still think Mind is the seminal Ministry album. Sheer quality aside there was an interesting chronology to it, encapsulating the growth of a band more than others from the era while simultaneously laying a platform of sound. I still laugh at the early days of Al singing love ballads, having gone through their 80s catalogue recently, it's interesting how Ministry began it sounding like Depeche Mode then finished sounding like Ministry. As for recommendations, um I don't know, maybe Daimonion by Project Pitchfork or the soundtrack to Set It Off or October Rust by Type O -.

Twitch is my favourite Ministry album actually.

But then again I'm a fan of Depeche Mode, though Twitch is leaning more towards Skinny Puppy.

Sep 23, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Twitch is my favourite Ministry album actually.

But then again I'm a fan of Depeche Mode, though Twitch is leaning more towards Skinny Puppy.

Yes, I love Twitch - and Rape and Honey for that matter - and that's a good comparison. It's interesting how Ministry's albums through the 80s always seemed on the threshold of genres leading up to Mind; Ogre and Al of course were frequent collaborators so I am sure they influenced each other's evolution. My favourite work they did was 'Get Down' from the Revolting utensils era, it's a song that has no business being 15 minutes but in the end I wished it was longer.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yes, I love Twitch - and Rape and Honey for that matter - and that's a good comparison. It's interesting how Ministry's albums through the 80s always seemed on the threshold of genres leading up to Mind; Ogre and Al of course were frequent collaborators so I am sure they influenced each other's evolution. My favourite work they did was 'Get Down' from the Revolting utensils era, it's a song that has no business being 15 minutes but in the end I wished it was longer.

The first Ministry album isn't that great but has some quality in there like I'm Not An Effigy.

The standalone single Everyday Is Like Halloween is one of the best things Al has done period.

Didn't Al play some guitar on SP's Rabies album?

Front 242 are another group who were doing similar stuff to Twitch era Ministry and Skinny Puppy in the 80s.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

Rape and Honey is my 2nd fave Ministry album. I haven't got too into the metal stuff they did after but will give it more of a go at some stage.

Mudguts12

All Australian
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Devin Townsend - Infinity.

To me it's the sound of someone going batshit crazy trying (and succeeding) to get their vision onto an album. He's fantastic to see live as well.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle

To me it's the sound of someone going batshit crazy trying (and succeeding) to get their vision onto an album. He's fantastic to see live as well.

Never heard of him. What a great *ingg song -- never heard anything like it before. Gonna download that album asap. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Enjoy! Just the tip of the DT iceberg, His back catalogue, especially between 2000 to 2010, is fukn rad.
Just found a t/rent of his entire discography (solo and otherwise) up to 2011. Started d/ing now. will have to find t/rents for all his post-2011 releases over the weekend. or download the full albums on youtube then manually segment them using audacity.

thanks for enlightening me on him, been reading his wiki page. i'd heard of strapping young lad before.

Mudguts12

All Australian
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Just did a quick youtube search for some songs of his....here's another great one....looks like I'll just be downloading his entire discography over the weekend :heart:

Ok I better give a few recommendations then haha....they are all great tho.
1. Ocean Machine
2. Terria
3. Infinity
4. Accelerated Evolution
5. Addicted
And onto the rest from there...

Listening on my phone doesn't do this justice obviously but it has piqued my interest enough to check it out later.

Sounds good.

I think I have always avoided Devin Townsend because his name makes me think of Devendra Banhart for some reason.

Sep 23, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The first Ministry album isn't that great but has some quality in there like I'm Not An Effigy.

The standalone single Everyday Is Like Halloween is one of the best things Al has done period.

Didn't Al play some guitar on SP's Rabies album?

Front 242 are another group who were doing similar stuff to Twitch era Ministry and Skinny Puppy in the 80s.

Al was a producer on Rabies, under the the name "Alien". In the post-album interview transcripts, the other members of SP were none too happy about it either, which I'm sure is why Ogre was bumming around with Ministry for awhile. I wonder if you have heard about it, but I am greatly anticipating that upcoming documentary 'Industrial Accident', which explores Wax Trax and the Industrial scene of the 80s. They brought exposure to Ministry, Front 242, KMFDM, Front Line Assembly, Meat Beat Manifesto, Clock DVA, Young Gods, etc that scene would have been so awesome to watch take shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back