Vdubs

Hall of Famer
Jan 1, 2008
MYOB
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Patriots
Im of the same vintage as you....in my youth it was vinyl and cassette tapes.
Youtube has definitely helped broaden one's musical horizon....especially with the recommended stuff of other artists/songs that show up on the right, and you can keep surfing almost endlessly...finding new obscure artists or old time obscure artists that blow your mind...the music so modern and genre-hybriding tho of the early 70s say.
Spotify i've never used...maybe i should look into that....if it's free.

I have a 10 terrabyte portable harddrive that's at full capacity due to movies and music. I'm a terrible hoarder.
Spotify $9 a month.
I thought about it, but seriously use it every day.
Never have to hoard music again, although i do!!

That Beatles song above is me this year.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I'm not massively into electronic music but came across an album from the mid 2000s called DJ-Kicks: Erlend Øye

Bit more of a pop/rock feel to it. A dance music album for people who don't really like dance music.

For example this song borrows lyrics from The Smiths' There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Other songs I like from it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GG.exe

Killer on the Road ™
Sep 6, 2005
In every girl's wet dream ℠
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Pittsburgh, Miami, StGeorge
Wow, sir...what an idiot i am.
All this time (years) ive had the Spotify app on my phone and never realized what it is or even pressed it to see what it is.

Just joined for the free service and will give it a test run. Seems to have EVERYTHING (no hoarding needed, tho i still will).

rank and file

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2013
michael mitchell country
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
bell park
A Cast of Aspersions-Louis Tillett
A bit dark,but not bleak.From his wiki page,
"...however cannibals and witches populate
Tillett's songs,and these characters indulge in an array of unspeakable pagan rites..."
Great album.

RobbieGray17

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And yes thats very true......someone recommends an album.....you listen to it a little, pass it off, months/years later, you happen to listen to it again, and suddenly you realize how great it is, how much you enjoy it, and start getting into the full discography of that band.

I dunno what the reason for that is exactly. It defies explanation imo.
Recently started going right through Soft Cell, Billy Idol and Depeche Mode. So many brillilant songs. I'm finding non radio songs to be far superior.

GG.exe

Killer on the Road ™
Sep 6, 2005
In every girl's wet dream ℠
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Pittsburgh, Miami, StGeorge
Recently started going right through Soft Cell, Billy Idol and Depeche Mode. So many brillilant songs. I'm finding non radio songs to be far superior.
radio has always been sh*t. they only repeat the biggest hits, but artists have a lot of inventive songs, or branch off with different genres or just have a lot of equally awesome songs to those big hits that exist in their albums that people would never know about.

i guess radio was built all on the Single concept.

La Dispute

La Dispute
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins
Isis - Panopticon. Had a lot to with sending me off the musical deep end into more obscure stuff than the standard SOAD / Korn / Tool / Pantera type of metal.
This and Pelican’s The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon the thaw were my introduction into progressive music. I used to buy albums off Amazon each week, some that would take me years to fully enjoy, but these engaged me (or I found most interesting) straight away.

Panopticon is just a beautiful LP. They alsolutely nail crescendos, and have these really groovy baselines that don’t sound anything else, save for direct Isis imitators. Oceanic is another great album, Hym is arguably their best song and sounds otherworldly, but this is their opus. In The Absence of Truth was really underrated too.

La Dispute

La Dispute
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams

This is the best thing I have heard recently. Perfectly combines post-rock and hardcore and has all these little intricate moments that are almost kitschy. I’ll have to delve into their discography.

Also makes me want to listen to Boris and Boredoms.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

adammania9

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University

My current favourite metal album, been listening to it for weeks. If you follow the link to the YouTube vid, you'll see a playlist of all the songs. Hansi Kursch's (of Blind Guardian) and Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)'s side piece that just released a new album only days ago. Hansi is probably my favourite vocalist ever.

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins

My current favourite metal album, been listening to it for weeks. If you follow the link to the YouTube vid, you'll see a playlist of all the songs. Hansi Kursch's (of Blind Guardian) and Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)'s side piece that just released a new album only days ago. Hansi is probably my favourite vocalist ever.
Had a listen great recommendation 👍 Will download!

BEaston

Hungry
Oct 9, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

This is the best thing I have heard recently. Perfectly combines post-rock and hardcore and has all these little intricate moments that are almost kitschy. I’ll have to delve into their discography.

Also makes me want to listen to Boris and Boredoms.
thanks for this, just listened to the first two songs, will save for later.

kinda reminds me of toe in some ways (japanese also, but also some of the drumming). a lot heavier though obviously.

La Dispute

La Dispute
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
thanks for this, just listened to the first two songs, will save for later.

kinda reminds me of toe in some ways (japanese also, but also some of the drumming). a lot heavier though obviously.
Have you heard the new Psychonaut LP? Also really cool.

Pretty much this year’s post-metal AOTY nom.

Top Bottom