Recommend an Album

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Lard was formed in 1988
SoaD in 1994

Well there you have it (I could have googled i suppose), not saying SOAD ripped them off but they're from the same wheelhouse.

THis album is great, probably considered crossover (thrash/punk), suits Scott Ian's guitar playing way better than Anthrax imo (I think Anthrax can be a bit lame really)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well there you have it (I could have googled i suppose), not saying SOAD ripped them off but they're from the same wheelhouse.

THis album is great, probably considered crossover (thrash/punk), suits Scott Ian's guitar playing way better than Anthrax imo (I think Anthrax can be a bit lame really)

Oh for sure they're not a rip-off. They're their own beast (SoaD).
Awesome album you posted there...short sharp and punchy. Those riffs/beats are insanely good.

Wasn't much of a Van Morrison fan before hearing this. Played it as background music and about 15 minutes in, it struck me that this was a special album. Unique in the annals of popular music.

Love VAN and as you say, a very special album.

And yes thats very true......someone recommends an album.....you listen to it a little, pass it off, months/years later, you happen to listen to it again, and suddenly you realize how great it is, how much you enjoy it, and start getting into the full discography of that band.

I dunno what the reason for that is exactly. It defies explanation imo.
Interesting viewpoint.
Sometimes you can get triggered to listen to that album again by, maybe a review on a TV programme, maybe the joys of youtube, maybe a show like Spicks and Specks, or even better, Rockwiz.... but it's so true that when you do rediscover that album, it certainly leads to getting into it thoroughly.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting viewpoint.
Sometimes you can get triggered to listen to that album again by, maybe a review on a TV programme, maybe the joys of youtube, maybe a show like Spicks and Specks, or even better, Rockwiz.... but it's so true that when you do rediscover that album, it certainly leads to getting into it thoroughly.
That often is a reason....a show or movie or ad has a particular song, you start scratching around to know who wrote it, what other songs they've done, voila, you're intrigued.

But there's also the thing where you completely write off a band, hate them, their music, etc. And you DID give them a proper listening to. But then years later suddenly you're blow away by how truly great that music was all that time. Why did you hate it at the time? What was it about their music that you felt you didn't like when it was perhaps similar to some other bands you did like. Or maybe it's totally different to anything you used to like before. I dunno. There are so many examples in the past of this happening to me, all for different reasons. I can't explain it.

That often is a reason....a show or movie or ad has a particular song, you start scratching around to know who wrote it, what other songs they've done, voila, you're intrigued.

But there's also the thing where you completely write off a band, hate them, their music, etc. And you DID give them a proper listening to. But then years later suddenly you're blow away by how truly great that music was all that time. Why did you hate it at the time? What was it about their music that you felt you didn't like when it was perhaps similar to some other bands you did like. Or maybe it's totally different to anything you used to like before. I dunno. There are so many examples in the past of this happening to me, all for different reasons. I can't explain it.
Exactly that happens with me all the time as well.
Not sure of your vintage, but I truly believe in my case, the phenomenon of youtube has totally enhanced my music appreciation. Just being able to play a song or album as quickly as you want is amazing. Some people are brought up as if that is the norm, but when I was a teenager, you'd have to go into a record shop and listen to a song or 2 before being asked to buy. I have rediscovered the sheer genius of Mark Knopfler, Leonard Cohen, Springsteen, Doors, Tom Waits, Van Morrison etc just by having the uninterrupted capacity to listen any time.
Spotify has pampered me even more, minus the visuals.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Exactly that happens with me all the time as well.
Not sure of your vintage, but I truly believe in my case, the phenomenon of youtube has totally enhanced my music appreciation. Just being able to play a song or album as quickly as you want is amazing. Some people are brought up as if that is the norm, but when I was a teenager, you'd have to go into a record shop and listen to a song or 2 before being asked to buy. I have rediscovered the sheer genius of Mark Knopfler, Leonard Cohen, Springsteen, Doors, Tom Waits, Van Morrison etc just by having the uninterrupted capacity to listen any time.
Spotify has pampered me even more, minus the visuals.
Im of the same vintage as you....in my youth it was vinyl and cassette tapes.
Youtube has definitely helped broaden one's musical horizon....especially with the recommended stuff of other artists/songs that show up on the right, and you can keep surfing almost endlessly...finding new obscure artists or old time obscure artists that blow your mind...the music so modern and genre-hybriding tho of the early 70s say.
Spotify i've never used...maybe i should look into that....if it's free.

I have a 10 terrabyte portable harddrive that's at full capacity due to movies and music. I'm a terrible hoarder.

Back