Recommend an Album

Remove this Banner Ad

Im of the same vintage as you....in my youth it was vinyl and cassette tapes.
Youtube has definitely helped broaden one's musical horizon....especially with the recommended stuff of other artists/songs that show up on the right, and you can keep surfing almost endlessly...finding new obscure artists or old time obscure artists that blow your mind...the music so modern and genre-hybriding tho of the early 70s say.
Spotify i've never used...maybe i should look into that....if it's free.

I have a 10 terrabyte portable harddrive that's at full capacity due to movies and music. I'm a terrible hoarder.
Spotify $9 a month.
I thought about it, but seriously use it every day.
Never have to hoard music again, although i do!!

That Beatles song above is me this year.

I'm not massively into electronic music but came across an album from the mid 2000s called DJ-Kicks: Erlend Øye

Bit more of a pop/rock feel to it. A dance music album for people who don't really like dance music.

For example this song borrows lyrics from The Smiths' There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Other songs I like from it

And yes thats very true......someone recommends an album.....you listen to it a little, pass it off, months/years later, you happen to listen to it again, and suddenly you realize how great it is, how much you enjoy it, and start getting into the full discography of that band.

I dunno what the reason for that is exactly. It defies explanation imo.
Recently started going right through Soft Cell, Billy Idol and Depeche Mode. So many brillilant songs. I'm finding non radio songs to be far superior.

Recently started going right through Soft Cell, Billy Idol and Depeche Mode. So many brillilant songs. I'm finding non radio songs to be far superior.
radio has always been s**t. they only repeat the biggest hits, but artists have a lot of inventive songs, or branch off with different genres or just have a lot of equally awesome songs to those big hits that exist in their albums that people would never know about.

i guess radio was built all on the Single concept.

Isis - Panopticon. Had a lot to with sending me off the musical deep end into more obscure stuff than the standard SOAD / Korn / Tool / Pantera type of metal.

This and Pelican’s The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon the thaw were my introduction into progressive music. I used to buy albums off Amazon each week, some that would take me years to fully enjoy, but these engaged me (or I found most interesting) straight away.

Panopticon is just a beautiful LP. They alsolutely nail crescendos, and have these really groovy baselines that don’t sound anything else, save for direct Isis imitators. Oceanic is another great album, Hym is arguably their best song and sounds otherworldly, but this is their opus. In The Absence of Truth was really underrated too.

This is the best thing I have heard recently. Perfectly combines post-rock and hardcore and has all these little intricate moments that are almost kitschy. I’ll have to delve into their discography.

Also makes me want to listen to Boris and Boredoms.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My current favourite metal album, been listening to it for weeks. If you follow the link to the YouTube vid, you'll see a playlist of all the songs. Hansi Kursch's (of Blind Guardian) and Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)'s side piece that just released a new album only days ago. Hansi is probably my favourite vocalist ever.

My current favourite metal album, been listening to it for weeks. If you follow the link to the YouTube vid, you'll see a playlist of all the songs. Hansi Kursch's (of Blind Guardian) and Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)'s side piece that just released a new album only days ago. Hansi is probably my favourite vocalist ever.

Had a listen great recommendation 👍 Will download!

This is the best thing I have heard recently. Perfectly combines post-rock and hardcore and has all these little intricate moments that are almost kitschy. I’ll have to delve into their discography.

Also makes me want to listen to Boris and Boredoms.

thanks for this, just listened to the first two songs, will save for later.

kinda reminds me of toe in some ways (japanese also, but also some of the drumming). a lot heavier though obviously.

thanks for this, just listened to the first two songs, will save for later.

kinda reminds me of toe in some ways (japanese also, but also some of the drumming). a lot heavier though obviously.

Have you heard the new Psychonaut LP? Also really cool.

Pretty much this year’s post-metal AOTY nom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back