Recommend an Album

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Better than Physical Graffiti ?

It's a big call I know, but Ive made it.
Keep in mind Zep often lifted stuff, spun it a bit to seem original. That has to detract a little.

Not sure on the Led Zep comparison but it is a great album. All the Dio-Sabbath albums are.
Yep just going over that post-ozzie era again, refresher course.....

The last great Sabbath album is The Mob Rules. Really think its up there at the very least with the best Zeppelin album. Especially track 2 onwards.

Glenn Hughes was good with Iommi, but the songs were kinda pop. All other albums post-Dio with Gillan, Martin etc, there is often solid music, guitar work, but only a couple standout tracks per album, but the albums largely tired, nothing vital.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Keep in mind Zep often lifted stuff, spun it a bit to seem original. That has to detract a little.

The last great Sabbath album is The Mob Rules. Really think its up there at the very least with the best Zeppelin album. Especially track 2 onwards.

Glenn Hughes was good with Iommi, but the songs were kinda pop. All other albums post-Dio with Gillan, Martin etc, there is often solid music, guitar work, but only a couple standout tracks per album, but the albums largely tired, nothing vital.

I quite like Dehumanizer and the album they recorded under the banner of 'Heaven & Hell'

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I quite like Dehumanizer and the album they recorded under the banner of 'Heaven & Hell'
Yeah heaven and hell is fantastic.
Dehumanizer is pretty solid, so is Eternal Idol ....Cross Purposes ok, Forbidden ok, 13 and The End ok, Born Again some cool tracks.... the music is always pretty solid across all their albums, with a great track or two off each album....but i just think Mob Rules is amazing, peak Sabbath, truly great tracks each and every one and all meshing together as an album. Has that kind of Zeppelin standard to it why i mentioned Zeppelin. Its not really like Sabbath during Ozzie era, and not like post-Dio albums that are kinda empty. Mob Rules just has that 70s Zep type sound to it.

Standout Ozzie albums like Vol 4, Master of Reality, Never Say Die, Sabotage ...all fantastic too.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dehumanizer is pretty solid, so is Eternal Idol ....Cross Purposes ok, Forbidden ok, 13 and The End ok, Born Again some cool tracks.... the music is always pretty solid across all their albums, with a great track or two off each album....but i just think Mob Rules is amazing, peak Sabbath, truly great tracks each and every one and all meshing together as an album. Has that kind of Zeppelin standard to it why i mentioned Zeppelin. Its not really like Sabbath during Ozzie era, and not like post-Dio albums that are kinda empty. Mob Rules just has that 70s Zep type sound to it.

Standout Ozzie albums like Vol 4, Master of Reality, Never Say Die, Sabotage ...all fantastic too.

I reckon Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules were not only the result of Dio bringing his own flair and vision bit also Tony Iommi probably seeing guys like Van Halen and Randy Rhoads emerge and thinking he needed to freshen up his sound somewhat, which he managed to do. Some of the dirge of the Ozzy era was gone and replaced with a livelier, more melodic style of playing. At least to my ears anyway.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules were not only the result of Dio bringing his own flair and vision bit also Tony Iommi probably seeing guys like Van Halen and Randy Rhoads emerge and thinking he needed to freshen up his sound somewhat, which he managed to do. Some of the dirge of the Ozzy era was gone and replaced with a livelier, more melodic style of playing. At least to my ears anyway.
Thats exactly it, you explained it better than my rambling effort. Fresher style, livelier sound, more depth and expression. Dio certainly brought a commanding vocal aspect that helped shape that sound. Glenn Hughes likewise a commanding vocal aspect that helped shape another great tho different style and sound from Iommi (more easy rock). But the other vocalists tended to be a more laborious sound and style, not fluent and assured.

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Left field suggestions for a family of four:
-For Mum - Tapestry, Carol King, songwriting master class.
-For Dad - Layla and Assorted Love Songs, Derek and Dominos, raw white electric blues motivated by heroin and pussy.
-For Billy - Public Image 1st Issue, PIL, the end of music.
-For Sheila - Sometimes I sit and think..., Courtney Barnett, discordance never sounded so good.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Little Steven's album, Soulfire is a ripper. Lead guitar with the E Street Band.

Not bad, not bad at all!

NINTCHDBPICT000516882373-e1567003819165.jpg

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.

People always say this about Led Zep , Yes its true for their first two albums and a little for their 4th ( Self titled ) album. But show me any blues album in history that isnt plagiarism ! All blues is plagiarism. As for Led Zeps other albums. Physical Graffii ,Houses of the holy , Presence etc it is their own content and style.... It is also strange to compare Sabbath to them . Its like saying everything Slayer released is better than AC/DC. Totally different styles of music. But I agree , Mob rules is a great album. But would you say its better than any Ozzy era Sabbath album ? That would have been the better comparison .... And that would have opened up another can of worms... Is it better than Sabotage ? or Sabbath bloody Sabbath ? Tough, very tough decisions.....

Last edited:

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Robert Randolph and the Family Band's album "Colorblind" is a terrific album.
I saw him 10 years ago and now things are getting back to normal I hope he gets back here real soon.
"Ain't Nothing Wrong With That" will give you an idea of what the album is like.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Speaking of Randy Rhoads....

Pretty great release here from the mid 90s. Re-making a bunch of Quiet Riot songs. Adding new song parts, new drum tracks, adding guitar tracks or effects Rhoads originally wanted to do, as well as previously unreleased tracks. All from the brief time Rhoads was with QR.

End result is this album is amazing.

volcboy

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Been listening to this since it came out last month, and it's growing on me. It's pissing off a lot of metalhead Mastodon fans, but that's because it has lots of progressive/experimental tracks. It alternates between sludge/stoner metal tunes and songs that sound straight out of 70's prog (Rush, Pink Floyd). A great listen for 90 minutes of heavy (both musically and lyrically) music.

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Been listening to this since it came out last month, and it's growing on me. It's pissing off a lot of metalhead Mastodon fans, but that's because it has lots of progressive/experimental tracks. It alternates between sludge/stoner metal tunes and songs that sound straight out of 70's prog (Rush, Pink Floyd). A great listen for 90 minutes of heavy (both musically and lyrically) music.

I listened. I tried. Doesnt do it for me. Ive been waiting for another Blood Mountain...:(

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

I think it's been pretty well received by most Mastodon fans so far. It's a like more in line with Crack The Skye, which was the last very good album they released. That being said I've still enjoyed the past 3 they've put out.

I'm listening for the first time now and enjoying it. Certainly a little darker and more atmospheric than their past decades worth of songs. Always liked some of the slower numbers they'd chuck into the last half of an album - eg Pendulous Skin - this contains quite a few slower burns.

volcboy

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Leviathan >

Doubt they'll ever put out anything as good as BM, Leviathan or Crack The Skye, but this is pretty close.

I actually like The Hunter and Emperor of Sand almost as much as CTS and Leviathan. I like some individual songs off Blood Mountain, but don't think it holds together as an album as well.

That said, I like all their albums, including Hushed and Grim, for different reasons/moods.

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I actually like The Hunter and Emperor of Sand almost as much as CTS and Leviathan. I like some individual songs off Blood Mountain, but don't think it holds together as an album as well.

That said, I like all their albums, including Hushed and Grim, for different reasons/moods.

Ii totally hear ya. Blood Mountain was the first album of the band that I heard so it has that kind of effect on me. But yeh , dont get me wrong, I feel there is more content on their other albums , but I just miss that early " in your face " sound that they produced. I reckon they got a little bit too serious after those early releases.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Blood Mountain is their most musically accomplished LP.

Best riffs, Bran is at his peak as a drummer, but yeh lots songs follow the same structure and you can order them in any fashion really. I love that they chuck Sleeping Giant third though - they pull off those druggy slow psychedelic songs so well.

Ordering songs on an LP and I guess by extension choosing which to include just isn’t much of a strength, even on their proggier LP’s. I don’t think it’s a major detraction given the overall quality of the songs though.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Ii totally hear ya. Blood Mountain was the first album of the band that I heard so it has that kind of effect on me. But yeh , dont get me wrong, I feel there is more content on their other albums , but I just miss that early " in your face " sound that they produced. I reckon they got a little bit too serious after those early releases.

Probably peaked around CTS and then they started taking themselves less seriously and made some more radio-friendly songs with forays into stadium rock.

Felt they really cut into the mainstream around OMRTS, got nominated for Grammys, made appearances on Kimmel and Fallon. Emperor of Sand was more of a homage to their earlier stuff, and was pretty well executed despite dipping into the kind of sound they were renowned.

I still like listening to Remission too. Pound for pound their heaviest LP, just doesn’t sound much like them and is a lot more groove based. If I wanted to show someone the classic Mastodon sound I’d be ripping out Blood Mountain. If I can remember correctly that was the first album I’d ever heard of theirs as well.

Mar 28, 2006
POLICE STATE
AFL Club
Collingwood
Top 10 Mastodon songs*

1. Hearts Alive

*Daylight*

2. The Last Baron
3. Diamond in the Witch House [best non-neurosis neurosis song]
4. The Wolf is Loose
5. The Sparrow
6. Blood and Thunder
7. Crystal Skull
8. I Am Ahab
9. The Czar
10. Tread Lightly

*haven't heard the new album yet

******* great band

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
h&g to me was a very decent release which exceeded expectations, attempts to seriously bridge that gap between the first four and next three, and continues the shape-shifting. CD is a wee bit expensive, but I'd be thrilled if it popped up in my xmas stocking.

Muscles Emperor out of my top 5:
1. Leviathan (9.5/10)
2. Crack the Skye (9)
3. Remission (8.5)
4. Blood Mountain (8)
5. Hushed & Grim (8)

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Dirty Honey's official first Album! Dirt Honey!! I posted their EP Album a couple of pages back last year, their new Album while short has some kick ass sounds that takes me back, Pure fun Rock N' Roll!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs

I saw Black Sabbath in Sydney in 1980 for their Heaven and Hell tour. We didn’t know at the time but Butler was playing with a broken finger. Now all these years later I recently had a hearing test and they tell me I probably suffered some permanent hearing loss from that concert.

Back