Premiership Player
Feb 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Hey guys,

I'm moving to Melbourne next year because of work and am wondering what are some good areas you'd recommend to live for a 23 year old male. I'll be on your typical graduate salary (50-60k p.a.) and my work is in the Docklands so obviously I'd want something relatively close to work if possible. I'm also hoping to live in some kind of sharehouse with people of similar age/lifestyle if that makes any difference regarding possible areas/suburbs. I've been told North Melbourne might be an area to consider, any other thoughts? Thanks in advance :)

Fitzroy, Brunswick, Carlton, Carlton North, Collingwood, North Melbourne & Richmond are all pretty good areas for sharing and the young professional lifestyle IMO. All a pretty short trip via PT to Docklands.

I'd recommend Fitzroy. Cool area lots of young people and good bars/pubs/cafes/restaurants.

The inner north (basically anywhere between Coburg and Richmond), or Docklands itself if you're fine with apartments would probably be your best bet. Around South Yarra and South Melbourne are options too if you're willing to fork out the extra $$$, but I'd look at the north first.

The inner north (basically anywhere between Coburg and Richmond), or Docklands itself if you're fine with apartments would probably be your best bet. Around South Yarra and South Melbourne are options too if you're willing to fork out the extra $$$, but I'd look at the north first.

I've heard bad things about Docklands, I would avoid.

In particular issues with traffic, takes half an hour just to go 500m in peak hour traffic, due to the road works??? :confused:

Might have changed since, but I would commute from an area outside of Docklands, its easy as to catch a tram down there.

A sharehouse in Docklands probably means you won't have a parking spot (I'd say a maximum of 2 bays per unit, so if you're the 3rd bloke in a 3 bedder you'll miss out), otherwise most apartments would have a car bay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Melbourne is ideal. It is fairly close to Docklands and doesn't suffer from Hipsterville Syndrome (unlike Brunswick, Fitzroy, Carlton etc.).

Port Melbourne is ideal. It is fairly close to Docklands and doesn't suffer from Hipsterville Syndrome (unlike Brunswick, Fitzroy, Carlton etc.).
This is pretty laughable. Hipsterdom, whatever that now is, is pretty occurrent in every suburb.

Though I want to live in Fitzroy, Brunswick, or Carlton. Such nice areas.

This is pretty laughable. Hipsterdom, whatever that now is, is pretty occurrent in every suburb.

So? I was not implying otherwise, but the difference is noticeable.

I like Fitzroy but especially like Brunswick. That place is right up my alley.

Carlton... overpriced, overrated and also attracts car hoons.

IMO, Fitzroy North is the best suburb in the north by a country mile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back