List Records & Bests - Worst Kicking For Goal In A Match - Player (ex-fp discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

[Index of 'Records & Bests']

Thread was originally posted by : Footypedia (converted if I know the BF handle) on yuku.

Policies
On the old footypedia forums we argued the toss over what counted. When time allows, those arguments should also be replicated here, for further assessment.
Re-ordered by difference of behinds minus goals ... Second ascending by goals kicked.... - Footypedia

Latest Table :
(originally posted by Footypedia on Yuku)

All Regions :
10 - 2.12 - Vic - Donny Aldersea - Caledonians (v ???) - Ararat & DFA - 1975.
7 - 0.7 - Tas - J Swan - Longford (v North Launceston) - NTFA - 1961.
6 - 1.7 - Tas - Bob Withers - North Launceston (v Scottsdale) - NTFA - 1961.
5 - 2.7 - Tas - Barry Lawrence - Longford (v East Launceston) - NTFA - 1965.
5 - 2.7 - Tas - Paul Luttrell - City-South (v Launceston) - NTFA - 1964.
3 - 4.7 - Tas - Bob Withers - North Launceston (v Longford) - NTFA - 1964.
3 - 4.7 - Tas - Murray Bramich - City-South v North Launceston - NTFA - 1963.
3 - 4.7 - Tas - Karl Beattie - Scottsdale (v East Launceston) - NTFA - 1962.
2 - 7.9 - Tas - Jim Ross - North Launceston (v East Launceston) - NTFA - 1961.
2 - 5.7 - Tas - Bill Youd - Longford (v Launceston) - NTFA - 1961.

Vic :
10 - 2.12 - Vic - Donny Aldersea - Caledonians (v ???) - Ararat & DFA - 1975.

Tas :
7 - 0.7 - Tas - J Swan - Longford (v North Launceston) - NTFA - 1961.
6 - 1.7 - Tas - Bob Withers - North Launceston (v Scottsdale) - NTFA - 1961.
6 - 0.6 - Tas - Rex Lethborg - Scottsdale (v City-South) - NTFA - 1966.
5 - 2.7 - Tas - Barry Lawrence - Longford (v East Launceston) - NTFA - 1965.
5 - 2.7 - Tas - Paul Luttrell - City-South (v Launceston) - NTFA - 1964.
3 - 4.7 - Tas - Bob Withers - North Launceston (v Longford) - NTFA - 1964.
3 - 4.7 - Tas - Murray Bramich - City-South v North Launceston - NTFA - 1963.
3 - 4.7 - Tas - Karl Beattie - Scottsdale (v East Launceston) - NTFA - 1962.
2 - 5.7 - Tas - Bill Youd - Longford (v Launceston) - NTFA - 1961.
2 - 7.9 - Tas - Jim Ross - North Launceston (v East Launceston) - NTFA - 1961.

Was more content added to yuku after the final table update? - Yes

Original discussion : Footypedia Messageboard on Yuku Boards (lapsed)

- This documentation is replicated from old messageboards associated with the footypedia website. The website's back up, but I won't be supporting the messageboard system.
- This list may already be duplicated on Bigfooty, on this very forum. I'm just tranferring data. If there is a duplicate, add a link here and we can work on a process of integration.

I can remember Tony Russell kicking 2.10 for Hobart against Sandy Bay at Queenborough in the TFL in 1991.
Russell was a talented footballer and hailed from Kermandie in the Huon FA comp.
Hobart, reigning premier, were having a dismal 1991 season and coach Mark Browning brought him in from the country to help get the Tigers back on track.
His 2.10 and about 16 marks helped Hobart win by 53 points but the following week he packed up and went back to the bush.
Interesting player and very talented, in a previous stint with Hobart in the 1980s he was scouted by at least two VFL/AFL clubs, one was Hawthorn, but told them he wasn't interested. Played in a number of premierships in the Huon FA, still lives deep in the Huon as a recluse allegedly.

Last edited:
One other, Simon Byrne kicked the TFL Statewide League record of 17.9 (and four OOF) in a match playing for Glenorchy against South Launceston at Youngtown Memorial Ground in 1995.
Late in the last quarter ABC Radio kept crossing to Graeme Wilkinson at Youngtown as Byrne was closing in on Peter Hudson's TFL All-Time record of 18 goals in a match (set at the TCA Ground in 1979).
Byrne missed three sitters in the dying minutes, the last to tie the record with seconds to go ended up out on the full, the groans from Wilkinson in commentary was memorable.
Byrne was a boom recruit at Full Forward for Glenorchy from the QAFL and I think had played state footy for Queensland as well but was renowned as a "flat track bully", would kick bags against poor opposition but would hardly get a kick against the top teams.

I kicked 3.6 in the first half of one game in the 90's. (In my defense I hit the post twice).
At half time given a huge spray (rightfully so) by the Coach (my Dad) and chastised for not finishing off.
Kicked 6.1 in the second half to finish with 9.7 pointing at him after I kicked each one.
Casually motions over after the game and said "Should of had a dozen hey son?" I said nothing and nodded :)

Last edited:
Tassie kicked 16 straight behinds in a state game v Qld in the mid-80's before kicking their first goal. They ended up with over 30 behinds. Not sure how many rushed, but I'd be interested in knowing if any one player had a particularly abysmal day in front of goal...

According to NTFA Record 22 July '78:
On 8 July Clarence kicked 1.12 in the first quarter and their losing score was 5.16
In 1969 North Hobart kicked 18 points before their first goal losing 9.28 to Glenorc 18.16

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tassie kicked 16 straight behinds in a state game v Qld in the mid-80's before kicking their first goal. They ended up with over 30 behinds. Not sure how many rushed, but I'd be interested in knowing if any one player had a particularly abysmal day in front of goal...
I remember that. Only time I've ever seen that scoreline.
Can remember the big scoreboard at North Hobart reading TAS _ 16 16.
Ended up with 16.30 (126).
In the 1977 TFL Grand Final Glenorchy had 1.14 (20) to Sandy Bay 19.8 (122) about 18 minutes into the final quarter before kicking the last four goals to end up on 5.14 (44).

In the 1991TFL Statewide League Round 10 match at Queenborough Oval, Sandy Bay, Hobart were reigning premiers going into this match against Sandy Bay having lost six consecutive matches and their premiership defence looking shot to bits.
Hobart coach Mark Browning pulled out all stops and enticed Kermandie full forward Tony Russell to come to Hobart and see what he could do.
Russell was well known in the south as a sensational and very exciting player but was a hermit who liked his own company and lived in the bush.
He had previously played at Hobart in the 1980s and had attracted offers from several VFL/AFL clubs at the time but told them he wasn't interested.
On this day, he took around 20 marks and kicked 2.10! Hobart won by 60 points, 18.24 (132) to 10.12 (72).
Played again the following week where Hobart got up by 6 points over New Norfolk then quit and went back to Kermandie!
Interesting character, a definite talent that used to do the sensational for fun.

Bob Fosdike (Norwood) kicked 1.7 in May 1952 in the SANFL match v South Adelaide.
Vhttps://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/47372110

Coming from Norwood must be a relative of Nic Fosdike

Not the best kicking action according to Jeff Pash in the Depasquale book
" he is no kind of shot for goal......
He has a tendency to dip before kicking as though
he were gathering to get under the ball and
send it clean out of the ground"

Then again might have been other reasons

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/48115932

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/132053126

SM did show some interest
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/71881915