moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Here's a thing that'a occurred to me more than once (applies in England too); when they say that Adam Reynolds, say, has just beaten the record for points scored by Souths, previously held by a guy from the 70s, do they take account of different points being awarded for scores back then compared to now, or not?

Here's a thing that'a occurred to me more than once (applies in England too); when they say that Adam Reynolds, say, has just beaten the record for points scored by Souths, previously held by a guy from the 70s, do they take account of different points being awarded for scores back then compared to now, or not?

No.

I think i posted else where before that there needs to be a database that includes all professional leagues with this information on it.
It would also be better to say Adam Reynolds has now scored the most points on average for Souths, maybe he has the most points but someone else did it with less games played as back in the days before the ARL and NRL the season was shorter.

Or perhaps it's just fairer to make less of a thing of 'most points', and more of thing of 'most tries' or 'most goals', cos there's no argument about the number of scores.

How do differentiate between 2 point field goals before 1970 and the current rule of field goals being 1 point and 2 points from 40+ metres?
Reynolds has only played one more season than Simms did.
Simms kicked 80 x 2 point FGs.

Well according to wiki, Simms only scored 23 tries for Souths, so the points differential there wouldn't be so much.But it all goes to show the difficulty of these comparisons.

Yeah and three point trys to four?

I don't think many players care to much as they know how many more games they play now compared to years gone by.

I remember Jason Taylor saying when he broke the record back when he was at the Bears (i think) was heard saying that he thought it was a joke to be remembered for kicking a ball through some posts.

Mick Cronin has the best average of over 9 points a game but never reached 2000 points so not many people remember how good he was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back