Scape Goat Recreational drug saga

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Highly unlikely it would ever be in our lifetime in this country

2. No

3. Definitely will never be in any lifetime, it's an opiate and if that were legalised then the Pandora's Box is open and it would pave the way for all other drugs to follow suit. So you don't really have to worry about considering this question because the answer will always be the same.

4. Both actually. But I will add two more parts (a) the addictive nature of them and (b) the effect is has on the people around them and the rest of the community in general (lying, stealing, burglary, assaults, domestic violence, et al).

5. I see and have to deal with the effects of drugs and alcohol every day, so I don't need to see statistics on this stuff because I live in the real world of it and quite frankly, it's one area I would consider myself a qualified (possibly bordering on expert) witness.
The difference with alcohol in relation to part 1 is that it IS legal even though I have an issue with part 2 the effect on the body, particularly if you are an elite sports person and you drink regularly and/or to excess because your performance will eventually suffer.
However I still have most concern with alcohol for parts a & b which I added in part 4. for the same reasons as above.

Because alcohol is legal the ban or limiting of consumption lies with the club and the individual, so my opinion on 365 day ban probably doesn't matter.

Yep meth / ice is really bad and rampant at the moment, but all of the other drugs mentioned are just as bad in their own right. There is a reason Govt's make these illegal, they don't just decide what's acceptable in your spare time on a whim.

Finally I would like to say that what people do in their spare time is their business, but if it's illegal it doesn't make it okay. AFL footballers have a responsibility to their team mates, their coaches and their club to do it right. But more importantly, footy doesn't survive without us ... the supporters who pay memberships and go to the games and spend their money and buy the merchandise, etc .... because without us the game ceases to exist at elite level. We pay our $$$ and we (well at least 'I') expect players to be law abiding people who don't take illicit drugs and don't turn up pissed for work and are at their very best that they can be when they run out on the field to play in front of my family, your family and all of the kids who wear their jumpers and say "one day when I grow up I want to be as good as ..............".

That's why I believe I have a right to criticise players who use illegal (I refuse to use recreational .... it's not ruddy skateboarding in the park) drugs and I don't batter an eyelid if they get sacked for it either.

I don't think you'd find too many people who would disagree with this, but to single out a young guy from our Club with a 2 and half year old photo that might have been a joke photo for all we know is harsh and unusual punishment based on the current policies and social mores
Nothing, zilch, nada has come from the Hunt fiasco other than rumour and innuendo and the testimony of a drug addict

The AFL's policy is 3 strikes
Your personal prejudices are fine for the BigFooty soapbox but don't reflect the realities of a modern society or the AFL's current approach, or indeed the modern day judiciary

You call it prejudice, I just call it an opinion.

What I do know is that it's illegal to produce, supply or possess drugs.

My opinion is that the AFL's approach (which they say is being reviewed) and the 'modern day' judiciary are soft.
Don't confuse being found guilty of an offence with the piss-weak penalty handed out.
If it was legal and/or acceptable then there wouldn't be a policy at all.

If I used or possessed drugs I would be 100%, categorically, absolutely sacked. No strikes ... just gone

By the way, I looked up 'prejudice' in a dictionary and it said
Noun : preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience

My 'opinion' is based on actual experience and I have good reason to form my opinion.
I don't doubt that plenty of people will disagree with me, as I will with them.
I don't intend to partake in a mud slinging session and argue the toss over who's right or wrong either.
But this is a discussion forum whereby people can have their opinion and this is mine.

I don't think you'd find too many people who would disagree with this, but to single out a young guy from our Club with a 2 and half year old photo that might have been a joke photo for all we know is harsh and unusual punishment based on the current policies and social mores
Nothing, zilch, nada has come from the Hunt fiasco other than rumour and innuendo and the testimony of a drug addict

Correct on all counts.

My post is generic to anyone who is proven to be involved in taking drugs, which is why I didn't insert anyone's name in the "when I grow up .... " part. For me this isn't about Bennell. It's about the drug taking culture of society and more importantly, the apparent growing tolerance of it.

I think the media are money grabbing scumbags for even putting that picture in the public forum.
They have as much to answer for as the player IMO.

You need to write to your local member of Parliament or Gil at AFL Headquarters, because ranting about changing the World and the AFL's drugs policy inThe Suns' BigFooty is playing to a very very limited audience and you just come across as an angry talk-back radio caller or tabloid newsmedia aficionado
While you're at it, go for a zero tolerance alcohol policy as well
I'm all for that, but experience tells me Prohibition doesn't work
Before writing anything further,you need to clearly define in your own mind whether you are against recreational drugs because they are illegal, or because of the effect they have?
If its about the illegality, sure, but we then would have to assume you have never ever ever gone faster than a speed limit in your car.
Speed kills remember.
If by any chance you've had a speeding ticket, we can only hope your smiling face as snapped by the speed camera won't be plastered on the front page of The Australian if you ever become "a celebrity"
BUT
If it's about the effect, then that's where your prejudice starts because you are simply picking on one guy from one Club who has been on trial by Media for doing something with something based on a NewsCorp photo
If you genuinely are concerned about substance abuse in all its forms I'd suggest starting a new thread on the main Board
Your audience will be much wider
And for the record, I'm supportive.
And I hope this doesn't come across as mean or nasty - it's not meant to be at all
It's just we know there are guys playing every week who have had strikes - Harley just was stupid enough to let someone take a photo of him

If you are telling me lowlifes haven't shopped compromising photos of other AFL Stars around the News outlets over the years then I would say you need a reality check
Unfortunately for Harley it was wrong place right time scenario
The blowtorch was on us Nationally because of K Hunt and they decided to spring the trap
Please don't think I'm defending him
I hate drugs and what they can do to people's lives
Throw in domestic violence and alcohol
They're all part of the declining social standards we've unfortunately come to accept as the norm in our community these days

If you are telling me lowlifes haven't shopped compromising photos of other AFL Stars around the News outlets over the years then I would say you need a reality check
Unfortunately for Harley it was wrong place right time scenario
The blowtorch was on us Nationally because of K Hunt and they decided to spring the trap
Please don't think I'm defending him
I hate drugs and what they can do to people's lives
Throw in domestic violence and alcohol
They're all part of the declining social standards we've unfortunately come to accept as the norm in our community these days

No. I'm saying the media are scumbags because they put garbage in the papers / TV and don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Again, my view is generic and not exclusively to Harley.
My original point here was about people doing the wrong thing and blaming others for their actions (i.e. if the family are blaming the club for his own indiscretions).

And .... why should we accept declining social standards as acceptable and/or normal?

It appears we probably agree on a lot of things. I'm just sick of hearing pathetic excuses for poor choices being made.

Before writing anything further,you need to clearly define in your own mind whether you are against recreational drugs because they are illegal, or because of the effect they have?

Well, no, I really don't. I'm exceptionally clear in my mind that I'm against illegal illicit drugs AND the effect they have on the person and the community in general. Why should they be independent?

It seems like we agree on much of what is the problem. But we have alternate opinions on what should be tolerated and how it should be dealt with. That's fine we're all entitled to say what we think.

it IS legal even though I have an issue with part 2 the effect on the body, particularly if you are an elite sports person and you drink regularly and/or to excess because your performance will eventually suffer.
Basically all I needed to hear - the impact it has on the player's ability to perform, regardless of its legality. Which is fair enough. In saying that, my post was purely hypothetical, so shooting it down because you don't think it'll happen in our lifetime is irrelevant.

I'm somewhat on the same page though. Anything that impacts on the player ability to perform at 100% shouldn't be tolerated. But that's the same as players binging on KFC the day before the game too. I really couldn't care less if it's illegal or not. It's up to the club to set the standards, and the players are to oblige.

Hell, Hawthorn has a ban on wearing long-sleeve guernseys for games. Don't like it? Ask for a trade. By all reports, the Suns dealt with Harley's behavioural issues back in 2013, and he doesn't deserve retrospective punishment. If the photo were of THIS March, rather than March 2013, then yep, punish him.

No. I'm saying the media are scumbags because they put garbage in the papers / TV and don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Again, my view is generic and not exclusively to Harley.
My original point here was about people doing the wrong thing and blaming others for their actions (i.e. if the family are blaming the club for his own indiscretions).

And .... why should we accept declining social standards as acceptable and/or normal?

It appears we probably agree on a lot of things. I'm just sick of hearing pathetic excuses for poor choices being made.
Declining social standards is how I get ladies home from bars.....

to be more serious, the AFL policy is probably a joke, but most sport codes are a joke when it comes to drugs. American Baseball, the NBA etc are all horrendous. And to bash the media as being the ones responsible for this is a joke as well. The players have done plenty of damage themselves, you just need to hope that the players learn from this and going forward the club is more diligent in reviewing their own players and incoming players and hope they do their due diligence going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just for kixx -

rocketwhip5.jpg

Declining social standards is how I get ladies home from bars.....

to be more serious, the AFL policy is probably a joke, but most sport codes are a joke when it comes to drugs. American Baseball, the NBA etc are all horrendous. And to bash the media as being the ones responsible for this is a joke as well. The players have done plenty of damage themselves, you just need to hope that the players learn from this and going forward the club is more diligent in reviewing their own players and incoming players and hope they do their due diligence going forward.
Agreed.
BTW I'm not bashing the media as being responsible for this happening.
I'm bashing the media for being irresponsible in the way they go about their business.
As I said earlier, it's the DO-er that has to take the responsibility and it pisses me off when they don't.

Getting really tired of the "GC drug culture" crap, you would think that other clubs wouldn't be so stupid as to believe that it is a GC problem, I seriously doubt there is a single club that doesn't have the same issue, the only difference is Robbo splashing a photo all over the HS and Wheels being silly enough to be photographed doing it

Getting really tired of the "GC drug culture" crap, you would think that other clubs wouldn't be so stupid as to believe that it is a GC problem, I seriously doubt there is a single club that doesn't have the same issue, the only difference is Robbo splashing a photo all over the HS and Wheels being silly enough to be photographed doing it
Oh absolutely.

But it's like Essen-done with the drug cheating, and Carlton with salary cap cheating, and Melbourne with tanking, and ... , and ....

Like nobody had ever done any of that before.

Thing is ... it's like when my older brothers made me steal biscuits from the bikkie barrel for them.
If you're the one caught with your hand in the barrel, you're also the one gettin' the whackin' .

There are lots of young guys who have drug problems. When I was in high school and college the people who didn't do drugs were in the minority. Let's not pretend that profession footballers are an exception to drugs. Drugs are everywhere these days. There are drug users in every club, they just haven't be caught or being made public. People do drugs and professional footballers are also people, so let's not pretend professional footballers don't do drugs.

Call me crazy but I believe the media are specifically targeting the suns because they are an expansion club who aren't performing. They could've easily released that photo publicly a year or two ago.
Just like how the media targeted West Coast in the early 2000's, except the reason was because they had success with almost an unstoppable midfield.

I hate to say it, but the media are good at finding out everything. They stalk people in the AFL community like crazy. And whenever they find these type of things such as a player doing drugs, a lot of the time they hold it off and wait for just the right time to release it publicly. Had they released the Bennell photo at the start of last year Bennell would've just got a few weeks suspension and not as many people would talk about it, cause people in the media would be too busy praising Gold Coast's on field performance. Release it when they are playing badly, the situation turns from poor form and injury to total disaster. And when that happens everyone goes nuts and the media get more publicity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back