The Law recreational drugs decriminalize or not?

Remove this Banner Ad

In a nutshell, this is it.

In full knowledge of the facts, they are prepared to let people die in order to enforce their political agendas.
That is a step too far. They aren't enforcing an agenda of theirs, they are doing it because they think their old conservative support base expects them too.

Drug spending is more bars, more guards. Nothing else or they lose their jobs

That is a step too far. They aren't enforcing an agenda of theirs, they are doing it because they think their old conservative support base expects them too.

Drug spending is more bars, more guards. Nothing else or they lose their jobs

Drugs didn't become illegal all by themselves.

The major parties have painted themselves in to a corner for decades over this issue, and they won't make the necessary changes because they know the opposition (whoever it is) will jump all over their heads for being "weak on crime" as a means of cheap political point scoring.

Wake the **** up Australia - BRING IN PILL TESTING!!!! What a ****en sad state of affairs. Daniel Andews you goddamn coward.

**** PMA.

He's more concerned with railway crossings.

The major parties have painted themselves in to a corner for decades over this issue, and they won't make the necessary changes because they know the opposition (whoever it is) will jump all over their heads for being "weak on crime" as a means of cheap political point scoring.

I'm not sure you understand who your enemy here is, it's not the politicians. They are like the ships that sail on the wind, whatever is blowing is what they like.

The hearts and minds of those older conservative people who only see drug taking youth as hedonistic, selfish and slacker behavior. They need to see their alcohol use as equivalent, because right now they look at recreational drug use as being excluding alcohol, because that is refined - but drugs are criminal low life drop kick pleasures.

Change their mind, change the world.

I'm not sure you understand who your enemy here is, it's not the politicians. They are like the ships that sail on the wind, whatever is blowing is what they like.

The hearts and minds of those older conservative people who only see drug taking youth as hedonistic, selfish and slacker behavior. They need to see their alcohol use as equivalent, because right now they look at recreational drug use as being excluding alcohol, because that is refined - but drugs are criminal low life drop kick pleasures.

The same older conservative people who grew up in the woodstock era ;)

The same older conservative people who grew up in the woodstock era ;)
My folks are both of that vintage and their concerns were more about pot being a gateway drug more than anything else. Because like anything you don't know how a person will react to the drug and whether it will lead to heavier things, which in the case of both my brother and I it did although never for any life altering amount of time. Nowadays they rag on us for smoking cigarettes more than dope.

They are a hurdle, but I don't see them as crucial for change.

You can scream at the river all day and it won't stop for you.

Turn it to your purpose.

I don't think that many of them are emphatically opposed to change as I sense you seem to think.

That is why I will be Lord Empress of Australia one day while you're still cooking sausage trying to get the top knocked off.

The age distribution of illicit drug users 50 and over has more than doubled in the last 15 years.

People 40 and over currently make up 40 percent of the market. Based upon the age demographic of the country and upward trends in life expectancy, I suspect this percentage will be even bigger in 10 years time.

This equates to a hell of a lot of people.

The age distribution of illicit drug users 50 and over has more than doubled in the last 15 years.

People 40 and over currently make up 40 percent of the market. Based upon the age demographic of the country and upward trends in life expectancy, I suspect this percentage will be even bigger in 10 years time.

This equates to a hell of a lot of people.
What, doubled from 15 to 30??

Love to see where these "facts" came from......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how they utter this without a hint of irony.

I don't think that many of them are emphatically opposed to change as I sense you seem to think.
"Old people afraid of change" is just another stereotype which has always been fashionable, it's no more reflective of reality than any other banner slogan.
Younger folks don't have any alternative experiences to compare things with. They only have their own experience, and what they're told of what it was like "before" or what they've seen in movies.
Older folks have comparative experience to draw from.
Since the dawn of time, older folks being "in charge" have had the perception of wisdom of experience in conflict with the perception of stubbornness and resistance to change. But there have been very, very few instances where young folks have been placed in charge of anything other than in the short term, and there's a damned good reason for that.
People don't like having either their preconceptions or self-image questioned, so they'll throw up the most useful smokescreen handy. Tell someone that change isn't always good, and they'll tell you you're old and afraid before they'll actually question their own ideas.

The premise is that change is synonymous with progress. Of course, even the most cursive glance of history would tell you otherwise, but that's of no concern to anyone waving a banner around and feeling a part of Something Momentous.

People who advocate for change for the sake of it will use words like "progressive" to describe themselves, and "phobia" to describe anyone against them.
That winning feeling of being a part of something inexorable is a much a drug as anything coming from a pharmacists lab. The Movement. The Wave. The River. We. Belong.

Personally, I'd welcome legalisation.
At least then the s**t we buy would actually be what it says it is, like it used to be back before it all... changed. But that was back in the old days. When everything was Bad.

Of course, if it ever happens, the banner-wavers will then go back to protesting about Big Pharmaceutical, how those bastards with money took all the licenses to sell drugs, and how the Government only legalised it to make money from taxes. And how the Government isn't doing enough to help all the poor people who end up dropping out in one way or another... because they will.
But I suppose we'll get to that when we get to it.

So much for the end of civilisation

DU3UkskX4AAOlg6.jpg:large

colorado-cannabis-court-charges-1.jpg

colorado-fatal-crashes.jpg

http://www.tdpf.org.uk/blog/cannabis-regulation-colorado-early-evidence-defies-critics

I know there's additional meaning behind stats that show there are less criminal convictions after pot is legalised, but it just seems such a "No s**t, Sherlock" thing to highlight.

"We made this common thing that was illegal not illegal anymore, and now there's less people being caught for doing something illegal!"
ucFVWKgfdvUd2.gif

I know there's additional meaning behind stats that show there are less criminal convictions after pot is legalised, but it just seems such a "No s**t, Sherlock" thing to highlight.

"We made this common thing that was illegal not illegal anymore, and now there's less people being caught for doing something illegal!"
View attachment 455471

Look at it from a fiscal and social aspect.

- There's a s**t load of money and resources not getting tied up in cannabis prohibition.
- A cannabis conviction can put people out of a lot of employment opportunities. It doesn't any more.

View attachment 455471

The same people that argue 'drugs are safe' then point to graphs about crime reducing after pot is legalised.

The same people that argue 'drugs are safe' then point to graphs about crime reducing after pot is legalised.

Some Drugs are relatively safe, You have to face facts eventually that Weed and MDMA are much safer than Alcohol or Tobacco

https://www.sciencealert.com/resear...ational-drugs-based-on-how-dangerous-they-are

http://www.rollingpro.com/mdma-molly-safety-guide/

RelativeDrugHarms.png

Source: Nutt, David J, et al., “Drug Harms in the UK: A Multicriteria Decision Analysis.” The Lancet 376, no. 9752 (2010): 1558-65

That is not much of an argument given what we know about the safety of alcohol and tobacco.

50% of smokers can expect to have a smoking related illness or death due to smoking.

MDMA is rarely rabbit forming because it's effectiveness decreases over time and there are no withdrawal symptoms, and whilst any type of smoking damages your lungs you can take marijuana in many other forms including edibles and Weed has about half the amount of cancer causing chemicals of tobacco.

We all know the problems associated with Alcohol. But the 2 safer options are illegal because durrrr safety.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back